L Clocks on H Frame

There seems to be more and more members appearing that are racing the ZXR400 so i've created a special section just for you to show off results, discuss meets etc etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Little Loris
My Bike: 2008 Yamaha R6

L Clocks on H Frame

Post by Little Loris »

I have a race spec, part built, ZXR400 H and am trying to fit L model clocks on it. Has anyone already done this? If so, what bracket did you use? If I sit them straight on the frame they are too low so definitely need a bracket.

Also, they'd need to sit at the right height for the fairing to fit. Any help on this would be really appreciated.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Dont think anyone has ever tried that before :smt017

How about using an L model clock frame on the H model?

Failing that you could always make your own.

these guys do a race item

http://www.jap4performance.com/kawasakiZXR400.html
Little Loris

Post by Little Loris »

Thanks for the link. That'll give me a good idea for a bracket if I have to make one. It's a bit pricey though.

Is it possible for the clocks to be removed from the L model meter stay and fitted to a H model meter stay? What I mean is, are the fittings still going to be the same for the clocks i.e. rev limiter, temp gauge, LED's etc?
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Not entirely sure, the clocks sit in a little frame that holds them all in place, then that frame bolts onto the brace thats bolted on at the headstock, just gonna jave a quick look at the microfiches.......

..........L model clock frame part# 25008

L model bracket part# 11047

H model clock frame part# 25008

H model bracket part# 11046

Looks like they use the same clock frame but different mounts, should be ok then mate to whack your L model clocks onto the H model clock mount
:smt003
Little Loris

Post by Little Loris »

Ok, here's a question for you all...

... As I have L model clocks, will they fit the H model clock bracket? I'm looking at the 2 mounting holes on each models brackets. Are they likely to be the same distance apart? Just checking so that if I buy H model bracket for L clocks, the screw holes should fit both sets.

Looking at the microfiche, the holes seem the same but might not be the same distance apart :smt009
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

They should be, i m pretty sure they use the same everything apart from the clock faces, with the H model having kph face and L models (mostly) having the mph face.
steven2558
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by steven2558 »

:smt006
they do fit !!
complete l model clocks and bracket! you just need to cut a small notch out the plastic outer on the small warning light part...
but becareful as i did this to mine and found l clocks have a rev limiter of
10k :smt010 :smt013

never let your beloved slide across the tarmac on her own....keep hold of yer bike!!!!!!!
JERIATRIC RACER

Post by JERIATRIC RACER »

Is that rev restrictor just in the clock pod? as the bike i bought has been "modified" at the back of the clocks to make it rev higher, as im wanting to do away with the clock pod + just have a rev counter will this bring back the 10k limiter? thanks, John.
steven2558
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by steven2558 »

not sure yet mate!! as i said just fitted clocks to mine ,im gunna take em apart in next couple of days to see if there is any obvious limiter??
will let u know!!!!!! :smt017

never let your beloved slide across the tarmac on her own....keep hold of yer bike!!!!!!!
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

have you read the feature on the limiter ste??
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
steven2558
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by steven2558 »

i have mate yer,
but mine was full power on the h clocks,then i fitted l clocks and now its limited to 10k whereas before it would bury the needle in the red and do 145mph(on private land ofcourse!!!!!)
:smt010

JERIATRIC RACER

Post by JERIATRIC RACER »

W ILL THAT BE IN THE WORKSHOP SECTION :smt017 OR IS THERE A LINK SOMEWHERE? IM TRYING TO DO AWAY WITH ALL THE CLOCKS N PUT A SCITSU REV COUNTER ON AND OBVIOUSLY DONT WANT A REV LIMITER :smt009 THANKS,
ALL HELP GREATLY APPRECIATED
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
steven2558
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by steven2558 »

thought thats a speed limiter rather than rev limiter?? :smt017
because it limits the speed dunnit... :smt019
thats easy sorted on the H model though! as they are in kmh put one of those little converter boxes on the cable and heypresto no limiter!!! :smt026

Little Loris

Post by Little Loris »

Aaaaaanyway, getting back to the original post :smt019

I managed to fit the L clocks onto the H bracket. I cut out a 'U' shape into the lights box at the base of the clocks and swapped the brackets over. It fitted on nicely and I gave the bracket a good spray with Hammerite for being such a good boy.

Pics should follow soon. Maybe I should be adding something to the build thread? :smt017