Switch gear question

There seems to be more and more members appearing that are racing the ZXR400 so i've created a special section just for you to show off results, discuss meets etc etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Woody6962

Switch gear question

Post by Woody6962 »

Hi guys, wasn't sure where to post this, but thought this might be the best place. I have a H model 400 that is more or less standard that I use for trackdays. I came off it on my last one and cracked the lefthand switch gear so I thought I'd just get rid of it as it is not used. My only problem is the choke lever - it's attached to the assembly I want to get rid of. What do you guys do? Is there an after market lever I can buy, if so where cos I can't find anything?

Cheers
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: Switch gear question

Post by RedexRobB »

ummm as far as im aware the choke lever should come off seperate once the switchgear is apart.
Woody6962

Post by Woody6962 »

Yes, the lever itself comes off the assembly, but without the full assembly (lights, indicators, horn and pass) the lever on its own is useless. I didn't see the point in replacing the entire thing (it's cracked from the crash) just for the choke. I was hoping you guys would be able to tell me what you do when you race prep the bikes? How do you set the choke up or do you just leave the standard left hand switchgear on and disconnect everything else?

I've just read that back and I hope it makes sense. :smt017
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Oh i think i understand now! If you want the choke lever you might have to keep the switchgear. Unless you have a seperate lever like on the old british bikes for the advance and retard except yours will be for the choke :smt001
Woody6962

Post by Woody6962 »

That's the one - do you know if anybody sells an off the shelf lever or will I have to get one made?
billy big skid

Post by billy big skid »

I've got flatslides on my bike so i don't need a choke, but most leave the switchgear on. Some people just attach a length of lockwire to the choke mechanism and have it hanging out of the side of the bike. Pull it out to start the bike, let go of it when the bike is warm, that's got to be the cheapest option. Or maybe have a mooch around your local breakers and see if you can find anything you can use. Some Honda ones are seperate from the switchgear.
jake
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by jake »

i have a h racebike, i just run the choke cable to the left hand hole in the frame, just above the swingarm pivot, zip tie the outa sleeve around that bit of frame, and have the inner bit poking out the hole! sorted. just need a paddock slave to hold it open for ya whilst you sup ya brew.
jake
stuart42

Post by stuart42 »

Hi
I replaced my choke cable from one I got out of a car in a breakers and just made a bracket that attaches to engine case by the tickover screw.

Lokks smart and keeps choke open if no helpers at hand to hold for you.
Cheers
Stuart
Woody6962

Post by Woody6962 »

Cheers Guys I'll be trying to sort this out over the weekend - if the little one lets me get some sleep!

The only problem I can see is finding a suitable slave to hold the choke. Now where did I leave my last one........ :smt017