Tuning tips

There seems to be more and more members appearing that are racing the ZXR400 so i've created a special section just for you to show off results, discuss meets etc etc.

Moderator: Moderators

richie400ss
My Bike: tomos moped

Tuning tips

Post by richie400ss »

Anyone got any advice on tuning? I was running a raised compression engine (not very high, as the rings and valves are shot, so we were scared to go too far with comp ratios). Micron system, ignition advancer and dynojet/k&N.

I've now got a good low milage lump, which I intend doing the same with, but maybe using slotted sprockets to optimise cam timing.

Also, I though about a mild head-flow job, but not touching the valves themselves, as I'm concerened about reliability.

I don't want to sacrifice reliability, as my best ever finish is 9th, so I'm not exactly going to hit the big time (especially at the age of 37).

I've heard from one source that a 4 degree ignition advance is ideal on a tuned zxr400 motor, and from another that I risk blowing it up.
sloweracing
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by sloweracing »

You will need to ring a tuner on the engine side there is so much to do and gaps and so on i dont even listen

I run a ignition advancer on my tuned engine and its fine but i know some tuners cant use them as it does advance the engine to much mine is 1 degree over what a spot on engine should be so i was told

Fit ram air for a start and there are lots of cams on the market now
Kent cams --- s.p. cams--- etc

good luck
chris4356uk

Post by chris4356uk »

Contact Shaun at R&S Performance centre, he is in Worksop in Nottinghamshire. he has tunrd the winning ZXR400's in the Derby Phoenix championship for a while, his engines are reliable. He is a straight talking guy & gives no bullshit.

01909 482670