New user registration

All new members please read the announcements in here before posting, i withold the right to delete any member or post not following guidelines set out in this forum, you have been warned!
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

New user registration

Post by masterofinsanity »

As from today all new users will have to have their account activated by admin, this is to try and stop the amount of spammers of late posting inappropriate material.Please understand and we appreciate your patience whilst your account is waiting to be cleared.I am usually online 24/7 (feels like it) so you shouldn't have to wait long.You can email me at the address in my profile if you want to speed up the activation.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Re: New user registration

Post by CaNsA »

Good shout Baz,

"Admin Approval Needed" is made of epic WIN!
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

thats 1 deleted already!

if you have genuinely registered and find i have deleted you then please email me.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

2 deleted lol :smt003
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

I've nuked a good few spammers over the past few days

Back to R&R :excited

MM! :smt001
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

Mori Man wrote:I've nuked a good few spammers over the past few days

Me too..................... need a rest now

Good call Baz....................I assume it's you that will be doing the activating ?
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

yeah bad idea eh, i have over 100 to sort through now.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry but due to being bombarded with spammers i have had to disable all new user registrations until i have this under full control.Over 400 in less than 24 hours!
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister

Post by Mori Man »

masterofinsanity wrote:Sorry but due to being bombarded with spammers i have had to disable all new user registrations until i have this under full control.Over 400 in less than 24 hours!
Freakin 'ell your popular ya tart :smt002

Is there not some filter add-on t the forum to help combat spam ? Think my webby has one as I only get about 2 or 3 a month getting through. Even those I know are spam as the auto email delivery system bounces so I just delete them.

Pain in the hole how they target forums, wish my life was so boring and mundane I could waste hours away being a spam butt :smt005

Keep the good work up Baz, hows the recovery BTW ?

MM!
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

there is a few mods on the forum in place to combat spam but i suppose once 1 person has got round it they spread the word on how to for the other spammers then i presume everything is then automated, am looking at upgrading the forum asap.

recovery is doing well cheers!
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

I think too much in the way of fending off spammers can cause genuine new users to simply not bother....................I know of one forum that has been ruined by the owners obsession of keeping spammers out and thus real users too.

Given that you had 400 new memebers trying to get on in 24 hours a lot of that must be spam but how many of them actually have been posting ...............perhaps a dozen at most..................

Dont build the walls too high
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister

Post by Mori Man »

Got to be careful though, an Asian forum I was on sort allowed the spam then it went mental and every 3rd post was naked breasts (which was nice) and killed the forum !

Eventually they shut it down and kinda re-booted but by that time I had lost interest and most likely countless others. I know the RD forum had to start from scratch for some reason and there seems not to be so many members on there anymore - again I haven't made a new membership.

If you can quickly sift and allow .co .uk & .net addresses through you should be catching genuine registrations , .za seems popular for most spammers

:smt001
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

agreed.................a balance needs to be found between spam defences and having the forum an easy place to join and enjoy.

I know of a site that will simply not allow any of the easy to get email address like googlemail or hotmail.................it dead as a dodo on there now.
Same site owner allowed a idiot back on after the mods had banned him repeatedly...................caused nothing but trouble and was constantly launching personal attacks on members and others...............he was even allowed back with a new user name but it was easy to see it was the same guy. The site owner banned anyone who identified the idiot or even mentioned his real name or his old user name
that forum is deader than a dead thing.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

ok turned registration back on and changed some captcha settings.see how it goes.
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Post by CaNsA »

We shall see mate :D
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::