600 conversion probs

This forum is for informative threads, if you feel a topic should be in here then let us know and we will move it.

Moderator: Moderators

murphy the destroyer
My Bike: zxr h2

600 conversion probs

Post by murphy the destroyer »

Hi all, im currently fitting a zzr600 engine to a zxr400 h2. All was going well till i realised that because the 600 motor sits further forward i don't have much room for the radiator. Anyone else had similar probs? after a few searches i can only see 600 conversions done to L models
cheers
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Re: 600 conversion probs

Post by zimm »

same on my zx6r engined L

there's no room for a fan, and the rad's sandwiched between the wheel and headers ! lol

it works, but its tight.

the biggest headache however is having to half drop the engine to remove the cam cover :pmsl
murphy the destroyer

I think you've got a little more room than me! due to the shape of the H frame the 600 engine doesn't fit far enough back so i've got about 30mm less than you.
At the moment im thinking sp1 or vfr 800 side mounted rads.....
cdstirland81
My Bike: ZXR400H1 and proud!

Post by cdstirland81 »

see if you can make/find/buy a rad with a section missing, a al ram air mod, but at the bottom, seen lots of race bike rads like this, especially high end gp stuff!
ameteurs practice and train unitl they can do it, professionals practice and train until they cannot fail at it..
jackdim
My Bike: yz490

Post by jackdim »

zimm wrote:same on my zx6r engined L

I like the look of this, would you do it again given hindsight? Was it worth doing?
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by zimm »

murphy the destroyer wrote:I think you've got a little more room than me! due to the shape of the H frame the 600 engine doesn't fit far enough back so i've got about 30mm less than you.

how big is the zzr600's radiator ? my zx6r is more than happily cooled by the zxr400L rad..

maybe an H1 rad + hefty oil cooler would work ? (H1 rad is half the height)

EDIT : i have a rad here that may work for you.. (may not but hey ..) off i believe an FZR400 race bike.. NOS mint etc etc .. i'll get a pic

as a side note, i imagine the handling will be fairly funky if your engine is further forward than mine.. mine could do with moving back as it is ..
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by zimm »

jackdim wrote:I like the look of this, would you do it again given hindsight? Was it worth doing?
firstly .. i have to admit.. i didnt build it, i bought it pretty much as you see in the pic

It had lots of brake/suspension/chassis bearing/cosmetic issues and no airbox, and a reputedly 115bhp tts tuned lightened/balanced/etc sprint-racing engine

I fitted some decent chassis bits and managed a couple of days hacking about on it before the engine exploded.. i then started on a complete rebuild with powder coated frame, wheels, sp forks etc etc .. but life and 3 house moves mean it isnt finished yet :(

from what i remember, it was vicously quick (pissed on a srad 600, out dragged a zzr1100 upto 120), still rode like a stock zxr400 but a bit more planted due to the extra weight,,

lots of tankslappers/wheelspin/impromptu wheelies thanks to short wheelbase/under-sprung forks/all or nothing power delivery (airbox)

oh and the induction noise made my ears bleed on the M42 I must make an airbox for it.

hopefully it'll be finished this year, if you see an SP wheelying past R1's in the west midlands ... I finished it.
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by zimm »

err ..

to actually answer your question,

would i do it again .. yes, properly, myself.. i dont really trust my frame, and i have a workshop now, back when i bought it i had a patio and a shed !

is it worth it ? ...

No.. not really..

buy a zx6r B1h, or an R6, either would be a lighter, cheaper, more powerful option.

but if you happen to want a slightly overweight zxr400 with 100bhp, then it can be done, and will put a grin on your face :)
murphy the destroyer

zimm wrote:
murphy the destroyer wrote:I think you've got a little more room than me! due to the shape of the H frame the 600 engine doesn't fit far enough back so i've got about 30mm less than you.

how big is the zzr600's radiator ? my zx6r is more than happily cooled by the zxr400L rad..

maybe an H1 rad + hefty oil cooler would work ? (H1 rad is half the height)

EDIT : i have a rad here that may work for you.. (may not but hey ..) off i believe an FZR400 race bike.. NOS mint etc etc .. i'll get a pic

as a side note, i imagine the handling will be fairly funky if your engine is further forward than mine.. mine could do with moving back as it is ..
believe it or not the zzr600 rad is much smaller than the zxr400 rad. I've been playing about with it a bit and with the fan removed the 600 rad just goes in. I bottomed the forks out with a ratchet strap and it clears the wheel by about 10mm, on full lock the forks just touch the top of the rad though so i'll have to restrict the steering lock everso slighly too.
It does bother me how far forward the engine is but it definately can't go any further back. Its already got uprated fork springs which i hope will help deal with the extra weight on the front.
Im only going down this route because the 400 engine threw a rod straight through the cases and i had a zzr i was breaking. I've got a cbr600f coming next week which i'll be breaking too, and i might see if that fits better before i start welding the engine mounts in!
jackdim
My Bike: yz490

Post by jackdim »

zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by zimm »

scary ... thats in my home town judging by the tel number

i might go look at that ......
murphy the destroyer

zimm wrote:same on my zx6r engined L

there's no room for a fan, and the rad's sandwiched between the wheel and headers ! lol

it works, but its tight.

the biggest headache however is having to half drop the engine to remove the cam cover :pmsl
I've managed to fit the zzr rad and oil cooler today on some custom mounts :smt004
with the steering on full lock i've got about 5mm clearance between the top edge of the rad and the fork leg and with the forks bottomed out using a ratchet strap it clears the wheel by about 10mm.
It looks like your rad is much closer to the wheel than mine now, are you sure it doesn't rub with the forks bottomed?
I know even under hard braking the forks don't bottom out but it might be worth checking. :smt001
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

I have manged to bottom out one set of ZXR forks...................I'll admit it was under extreme conditions.................but it does happen in a couple of places one one circuit here.

I'd be interested to know if any of the 650 twin engines will fit a ZXR frame without too much hassle ?
lewisdale
CBT slow
CBT slow
My Bike: zxr400 H2

Post by lewisdale »

why not just buy the real thing?
murphy the destroyer

cargo wrote:I have manged to bottom out one set of ZXR forks...................I'll admit it was under extreme conditions.................but it does happen in a couple of places one one circuit here.

I'd be interested to know if any of the 650 twin engines will fit a ZXR frame without too much hassle ?
I wouldn't have thought a V twin would fit . I'd guess the rear cylinder would foul the tubular cross member in the frame which sits under the carbs.
A parralel twin would probly be quite easy, although i can't think of any very exciting ones, cb500, er-5 etc
What about a laverda 650 formula?! about 100bhp but rare as hell.

I stripped everything down and had the mounts fully welded in today, i'll clean it up tomoro and maybe i'll start a project thread who knows!