Heated Grips (Daytona) Installation

This forum is for informative threads, if you feel a topic should be in here then let us know and we will move it.

Moderator: Moderators

gavinfdavies
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: gpz500s d5, zxr400 L5

Heated Grips (Daytona) Installation

Post by gavinfdavies »

Just an info post giving a brief run down of how and where to install heated grips for best effect (haha, i know the handle bar is always a good place to start, stop sniggering at the back)

My grips of choice: Daytona Analogue heated grips (similar to, but better than, Hein Gerrick basic type).
Price; Shops about £55 - 60, ebay about £48, http://www.vcustoms.co.uk with zxr400oc discount... £45! :excited
These are the older analogue type, but are much easier to switch with gloves on whilst keeping your eyes on the road/track than the modern digital kind.
heated grips_Daytona.jpg
These come with 3 settings; Start (57W @ 12v = enough to burn after 10 mins through thick gloves), On (12w @ 12v = gentle warmth, good all year round to keep your dexterity), and Off (erm... 0w? Bit cold?)
My general tactic is to leave them set on start, and flick to on when my hands start to hurt...

Installation;
you'll need some basic tools to remove the seat, fuel tank, and air box. I think its one 5mm allen key, a posie screw driver, and a 10mm long hex socket. Some double sided tape and a can of meths/petrol is useful for attaching grips. I find that STP Heavy Duty Brake Cleaner is worth its weight in gold (and it nearly costs it too vsad ) since it's basicly meths in a aerosol can. Alot easier than a bottle and rags.

IMPORTANT; ALWAYS REATTACH FUEL LINE TO TANK WHEN REASSEMBLING. FAILURE TO DO SO CAN LEAD TO SEVERE EMBARRASSMENT (AND HASSLE) 1.3 MILES DOWN THE ROAD... don't ask how i know!

Grips;
Installation is easy, remove old grips with either a craft knife, or a screw drive to lift open the end of the grip, and a quick squirt of meths or petrol to dissolve the glue. As you can see these grips are detachable from the main loom, and they weigh buggar all. If you're worried about the weight of an extra few feet of copper wire, then i suggest you take a dump before weighing the bike. clean the bars, add few strips of double sided tape lengthways on bar, a quick squirt of meths/petrol to dissolve the glue, then slip the new grips on. The glue will reset rock hard in about 10 mins. To shift is later, just lift open the end of the grip, and give it another quirt of meths and a wriggle, and it'll free up again. Brilliant huh? next run the loose ends through the frame holes to end up under the air box by the coils.

Switch;
best bet is to stick it on the yoke near the left bar using the supplied sticky backing. The sticky thing on my other bike has lasted 10,000 miles, it'll be fine. Run the wires through the frame holes under the tank.

Wiring up;
Under the air box is a mass of wiring. There is a white block connector with six wires in each block, and a big brown wire on the side with a bullet connector. This brown wire is 12v comes straight from the reg/rec (the generator) and is only live when the ignition is on. This means you can't accidentally leave them on and flatten your battery. attach the loose red wire to this brown wire, then attach the loose black on to an earth (negative) point. The whole chassis is attached to the negative terminal, but i found a handy bolt just in front of the shock mount. Remove bolt, wrap some bare wire around it, tighten back up. Attach the bullet connectors together as shown on the wiring diagram supplies, and hey presto, warm mitts!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I do 700 miles a week in all weathers including snow, that's roughly 35,000 miles a year, and some weekend warrior biker has the nerve to get out of his Audi at work to tell me to I was riding far too fast in the wet (over taking at 50... fast eh?).
Smousley1995
My Bike: Zxr 400 L 1993

Re: Heated Grips (Daytona) Installation

Post by Smousley1995 »

Can somebody help me please, I hate electronics.
I've got "dr bike" heated grips and have just followed this guide, I cut into the brown wire, joined my red positive lead of the heated grips to that. I connected the negative lead of the heated grips to the negative terminal of the battery and also tried an earth on the frame but when I turn the keys, absolutely nothing happens. I disconnected the lead from the brown wire and it works fine again. Any idea what's happening? Cheers
Why take life so seriously, your not going to come out alive!