what do you know about restrictors????????????

This forum is for informative threads, if you feel a topic should be in here then let us know and we will move it.

Moderator: Moderators

masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

what do you know about restrictors????????????

Post by masterofinsanity »

i'm gonna do another feature for the site on restrictors so i want to gather as much info as possible here, we all know the zxr is restricted in either the carbs or the speedo and i think in the cdi units?? , i want to now about little black boxes, what they do how they work and how to bypass them, any info very much appreciated!!
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

bloody hell, you lot are cleverer than i thought, thanks for your help guys! :smt005
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
Gemini
cloning technology
cloning technology
My Bike: CBR1000RR4 Fireblade

Post by Gemini »

i'll help, restricted bikes are bad - de-restricted bikes are good! :smt002

gem
There's No Explanation For The Way I'm About To Behave!!!
Russ
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by Russ »

Is it the speedo or the tacho? My little black box got disconnected when I was sodding about the other day and I forgot to connect it back up. Out on the A14 it would not rev much over 10k. Put the box back on when I got home and off I went 14k no prob.
Dont jiiiive me turkey..........a turkey is a bad person!
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

cool, that answers a lot! so i take it your bike hs a KMH speedo???
dynamatiz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by dynamatiz »

Russ wrote:Is it the speedo or the tacho? My little black box got disconnected when I was sodding about the other day and I forgot to connect it back up. Out on the A14 it would not rev much over 10k. Put the box back on when I got home and off I went 14k no prob.

mine is the same mate but ive got an l model, if a disconnect the box it wont go over 10k but when connected, ive got a uk speedo fitted too but a cant get over 110mph , so could be my cdi or some washers in the carbs
hciR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400

Post by hciR »

Seems to be the imports that have the rev limiter at 10k rpm.
The restrictors in the carbs to get your bike down to 33bhp look like this:
The center hole is approx 16mm in diameter.
These can be obtained from http://www.fiinternational.com/ (warning they are expensive!) you need to get them fitted by a dealer/shop which keep a copy of the certificate, give one to you, and send one back to FI international.
icklelea

Post by icklelea »

i paid £120 to get my carb restrictors put in... and nothing to take out (cos i did it myself - well my friend did :oops: )

with those i couldnt get faster than 110mph, my acceleration is a wee bit faster now, but im quite a wimp so dont just open it up so im sure i could get it going a lot quicker
Rob-ZX4R

Post by Rob-ZX4R »

hciR wrote:you need to get them fitted by a dealer/shop which keep a copy of the certificate, give one to you, and send one back to FI international.
No you dont.

You can fit the washers and get a dyno print out which is exactly the same, FI seem to have made people believe you NEED one of theirs, you dont.
hciR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by hciR »

It's this quote on their site that's confusing
NOTE: Restrictor kits can only be fitted by an approved and qualified dealer. Fitting also registers the restriction into the FI International master database and this will generate a certificate that you will recieve as proof of restriction.
I would have gone the dyno route, but couldn't find anywhere else that would sell the restrictors. I also emailed the DSA asking what proof is acceptable of restriction, who then forwarded my email to VOSA who never got back to me.
But I would check with your insurance company because at the end of the day its them that have the final say!
icklelea

Post by icklelea »

My insurance company never asked if i was restricted or for any proof of it!
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

icklelea wrote:My insurance company never asked if i was restricted or for any proof of it!
we can see you're not restricted from your other post :smt003
Bozzie
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Bozzie »

Same here never asked and im with bennets not exaclty a backstreet company. I think its one of those laws they know people overlook.
hciR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by hciR »

I can't say I've ever heard of anyone being asked for proof when buying insurance, but if you had an accident the insurance company might decide to ask you then. They seem to do everything they can to prove your insurance void so they don't have to cough up.
dan76

Post by dan76 »

there is supposed to be a restrictor plate in the speedo head which can be bent back out of the way, i just bought a set of uk clocks for my grey so i'm goin to take the old one apart and have a look, eventually! you can buy race spec cdi units that add a few bhp, still on the lookout for one of those. on another subject does anybody know if i fit the uk clocks to my bike do i need a uk speedo drive as well or will it read properly just by changing the clocks, cheers.
ride it like you stole it