Single Seat / Race Units for the ZXR400

This forum is for informative threads, if you feel a topic should be in here then let us know and we will move it.

Moderator: Moderators

RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Single Seat / Race Units for the ZXR400

Post by RedexRobB »

right, a new 'useful' thread, so baz please move to information when this topic quietens down :smt001

If anyone knows where to get a single seat unit let it be written here. Had a member ask me about them and where to get them and is a common question.

So, my own information is as follows:

Aftermarket
This is your typical aftermarket race seat unit which can be bought from most race suppliers for about £100 unpainted. A few suppliers:

http://shop.instant-shop.com/bits4bikes ... 70166.html

http://www.ardracing.com/kawzxr400.html

http://www.glenshiel.co.uk/acatalog/Par ... __270.html

SP seat units
this was the reason why i started, the seat unit on my ZXR is a genuine SP seat unit from an SP model. Rare as rockinghorse toad it seems, they do come up on ebay every now and then, i paid 120 quid for mine and was in reasonably good condition. You can tell the difference between the genuine SP and aftermarket stuff by looking at where the panels meet up with the tank. The SP unit doesnt quite go upto the frame as can be seen on mine here and the one after:

However the aftermarket ones go right upto the frame, like here:

You can also tell a genuine SP seat unit because it has a bum bad and it comes off with the use of a key :smt001

Other seat units
Anyone remember me posting about the ZXR from the USA that was tricked up like no other?

http://www.zxrworld.co.uk/forum/viewtop ... ht=special

Well the company selling the bike also make seat units for the ZXR here:

http://www.gpcmoto.com/

Seems i cant copy and paste the url of the pictures so you will have to go on the site, type in 'ZXR400' in the search box and it should bring up a list of parts they do for the ZXR, right at the top should be a list of seat units they do.

Right, ive cheated and managed to get the pics :smt002

This next one doesnt seem to be on thier product list so might be worth emailing them about it if you are interested. The two top seat units are $299 each so about 150 quid or so, then you need to paint them.

Theres also this seat unit which you may also be interested in, it belonged to a member who doesnt frequent us anymore (perhaps the 'bling' piss taking that did it *sniggers* )

This thread gives you the contact details, also some pictures of bike with other tail units :smt001

http://www.zxrworld.co.uk/forum/viewtop ... ight=#3029

Again, if anyone knows anywhere that does alternative seat units or such like, post it here :smt001

Cheers people, hope you find this useful!
Adam K
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by Adam K »

i am so so tempted by this seat unit

RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Ive got a picture of another bike with one of those on, saw it on yahoo auctions japan about a year ago, thought it was a TL1000 seat unit at first, looks like it might be one of the seat units from GPC MOTO

Adam K
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by Adam K »

any idea if my standard seat pad would fit with it?
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Well going by the look of it you need to cut out the plastic where the seat pad goes so you can get to battery etc, so dont see why not. The aftermarket one i bought for my first ZXR you had to cut out and the standard seat fitted fine.
Little Loris
My Bike: 2008 Yamaha R6

Post by Little Loris »

Can't seem to find the ZXR400 body work on the Wemoto website.
Does look cool though. Do you have to cut up your existing subframe for this or does it fit straight on?

I'm getting more and more interested in getting a subframe already done to fit the H model frame so I can just whack on a racing cowl. I'm so lazy! :smt015
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Looking at the shape of the seat unit you might have to remove the rear part of the sub frame (its two parts remember ;) )
Little Loris
My Bike: 2008 Yamaha R6

Post by Little Loris »

I'd be happy to saw off the end of my subframe to fit that - that's if it goes straight on with the existing fixings without having to drill anymore.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

ahh you have the H model right? Dunno if that would even fit as the sub frames are all one piece on the H model. As far as i know where the screws fit in to hold the seat panels in place are in a completely different position. But if your willing to cut it up theres no reason why you cant make brackets up to make it fit too :smt001
deviant
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L3

Post by deviant »

i think that one looks awful. if you want one like that go out and buy an srad gixxer.

the zx-rr style one is kinda cool though
In the garage:
Kawasaki ZXR400 L3 - shiny
Suzuki DR800 - bouncy
1978 Suzuki GS400 - PROJECT RETRO RACER!
Kawasaki GPz500S - for sale soon
Honda CG125 BR-J - in bits
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

thats soo bad!!!! nice one robB for this post!!

Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

masterofinsanity wrote:thats soo bad!!!! nice one robB for this post!!

No problem mate, like i said its a common question so perhaps we need a common thread :smt003

Bad in a good or bad way?
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

bad as in wicked!! think i'll do a feature on this for the main site!!
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Go for it mate, perhaps worth getting in touch, see if we can get a discount for the members??

I quite like that one also, even got me thinking of buying one i like it that much!
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

well at least its all one colour? :smt005