Stainless steel bolts guide

This forum is for informative threads, if you feel a topic should be in here then let us know and we will move it.

Moderator: Moderators

RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Stainless steel bolts guide

Post by RedexRobB »

Not sure where this needs to go but ill stick it here anyways :) Please move Baz if you recon its beter an another forum.

Just recently bought me a load of stainless steel bolts to fit my fairing together when its all painted. So thought it might be an idea to let everyone know what sizes you need and where they go.

Im certain this will work out cheaper than a probolt kit too! But as i bought stainless bolts for other things as well i have no idea how much it cost just for the stuff for the fairing.

The following require M5 bolts with a 16mm length:

Upper infill panels (between frame and side fairing) X 6
Lower to Upper panel (where indicators are) X 8
Seat side panels (by brake light) X 2
Screen bolts X 8
Top tank panel X 2

The following require M6 bolts with a 16mm length:

Upper fairing (underheadlight) X2
Seat side panels X4 - 2 each side
Front mudguard (4 require nuts) X8
Infil panel by ZXR engine casing X2
Bolt to join panels (behind front wheel) X1
Rear Huger X4 - 2 each side and 2 will need to be cut down slightly as to not foul the chain.
Chain Guard X2
Screen brace X2

M6 25mm length:
Side fairing panels X6 - 3 each side

There are a few odd ones:

seat bolt which is an M6 but has to be 40mm long if you can find em and the third tank cover bolt (right by the headstock needs to be an M5 and 40mm, but a 35mm will do the job.

This is pretty much all you need, if theres anything ive left out say so and ill find out and ill edit accordingly :D

Cheers Jamz for the link!

http://www.a2stainless.co.uk/Socket-But ... B22JQ.aspx

Now you got all the sizes you need go order them from here or where ever. Highly recomended and fast delivery! These are the exact ones you need too! Ive not bothered with washers at the moment, but you may want to use some plastic ones to protect your paint around the bolt :)

And heres a few pics of the results, and yes they are new front and rear carbon huggers :wink: :D No pics of fairing yet, they havent been painted, they are last thing to be done too now, just gotta buy the paint and its all done! :wink: Then theres more to come when i finish uni :wink: :twisted:

Hope this helps

RobB :D
kb-zxr

Post by kb-zxr »

Good man. If there was a thumbs up icon i would be using it now!

Might get some tider bolts for the screen off that site. Why pay £10 for 8 titanium screen bolts when you can get them for .....er cheaper

Kurt
Bestie
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by Bestie »

good god rob!

how the hell do you keep your bike as clean as that? any tips? i mean mine needs a really good strip and clean but no idea how....
shes a beauty!

and thanks for the above, too bad my impatience got the better of me as i have just bought the body kit screws from ebay, £24.99.....but im gonna keep your guide for reference....

cheers fella
bestie

edit: how much in total for all those bolts rob?
nigbuzz
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by nigbuzz »

the reason for it been so clean is that it is new all of it.
so get strippin
also rob when r u goin to grace us with some photos of hte beast
One day my pretty, One Day!
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Thats exactly it! Ive just pretty much rebuilt the bike, only thing that hasnt had anything done to it is the engine! (except a clean)

As for pics, im sorting the paint out tomoz, soon as i got that i just gotta pop along the road to see me neighbour and we will go see his cousin about spraying it, cheaply :wink:

Unfortunately im not gonna be able to get the colour i wanted. I was after Benelli green but its silver with a green laquer, which, im told makes it a difficult and expensive job to do. So im going with another shade of green, its not as good but it'll get the job done and i can always do it properly after i finish uni. If it werent for the fact i gotta save id have it done now :roll: :lol:
tobomoto
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: zxr400l4 zx7r

Re: Stainless steel bolts guide

Post by tobomoto »

thats cool. got any sizes for brake caliper bolts, pinch bolts etc? engine bolts would be nice as well if available!
anything is possible with enough time and money. and an open mind...
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Havent got the engine sizes unfortunately, as i didnt change change them. As for the caliper bolts i dont have them either, but you wont be needing them sizes for stainless steel as they wont be upto the job, best bet is to stay with what kawasaki put on or get them from somewhere that specifically sells caliper bolts. :smt001
rover220
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zx7r p6

Post by rover220 »

agreed, dont use stainless on anything that is load bearing.

get high tensile steel bolts, preferably OE ones
tobomoto
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: zxr400l4 zx7r

Post by tobomoto »

i was thinking of titanium ones but i suppose thats cos im a tart! but ok ill leave them alone.
anything is possible with enough time and money. and an open mind...
SammyG
My Bike: zxr400-L

Post by SammyG »

Brilliant!! :excited Save me a fortune using probolts!!!
All the bolts you have sized up, 10 5g copper grease sachets, and it's come to £42.66 (with next day delivery) I ordered a couple more of each bolt to, (just in case) not ordered washers though, need to find some plastic/rubber ones, can't find any on there site :smt013
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

glad you found it of use!!

try ebay, you can pick up a pack of plastic washers for only a few quid. Surprised your buying satches of copper grease, iv got a whopping great 500g pot of it from halfords. Ordering a few extra of each is a definate must, ive managed to loose a few of mine and the spares; of course, came in handy :smt003
SammyG
My Bike: zxr400-L

Post by SammyG »

Thats a better idea for copper grease!!
I've not ordered it yet, I'm still trying to work out what other bolts I need!!
(To fix everything else in place!!! :smt009 ) Things like the battery housing thing (technical term :smt004 ) etc etc, I have loads of bolts from when I stripped the bike, but they are as rusty as rusty can be (at least 20% snapped when removing them) !!
Bad times, haha
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

rover220 wrote:agreed, dont use stainless on anything that is load bearing.

get high tensile steel bolts, preferably OE ones
Just to add , you do get higher tensile Satinless too - I've got them on my bike.

Your looking for A4-80 for the markings on them, I've used for years with no problems.

However i just found this table and they only match regular 8.8 steel bolts in tensile strength shocking

Metric Class /Marks on Head /Material /Tensile Strength (N/mm2 & psi) /Yield Strength (N/mm2 & psi)
8.8 8.8 Steel 800 116,000 640 93,000
10.9 10.9 Steel 1040 151,000 940 136,000
12.9 12.9 Alloy Steel 1220 177,000 1100 160,000
A2-70 A2-70 302 Stainless 700 102,000 450 65,000
A4-80 A4-80 316 Stainless 800 116,000 600 87,000

But like I say, I've had them as calliper bolts for years with out problem.

I use the A2's for general fixings like panels etc....

This company do a nice range and good pricing too:
http://www.stagonset.co.uk/fasteners?ou ... pAodXERvjg

MM!
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly