Head gasket Questions

This forum is for informative threads, if you feel a topic should be in here then let us know and we will move it.

Moderator: Moderators

Mr.Mash
My Bike: zxr 400 l

Head gasket Questions

Post by Mr.Mash »

Well im pretty sure the head gasket has gone, It's overheating, loads of little bubbles coming out the radiator and it has a little wee every time i stop,
What i need to know is
1 Are the head bolts reusable?
2 Do i need to do the base gasket at the same time seeing as the head bolts go through the barrels in to the crank casing?
3 Where is the best place to get the bits from as im off work all this week and want to get it done asap?

Mash
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Re: Head gasket Questions

Post by zimm »

Mr.Mash wrote: 1 Are the head bolts reusable?
yes
Mr.Mash wrote: 2 Do i need to do the base gasket at the same time seeing as the head bolts go through the barrels in to the crank casing?
yes, or you can just leave it out and seal with silicon
Mr.Mash wrote: 3 Where is the best place to get the bits from as im off work all this week and want to get it done asap?
i would have said cradely ..
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

Wot he says oldman :smt003 :smt003
Mr.Mash
My Bike: zxr 400 l

Post by Mr.Mash »

Cool , Cheers for the quick reply I shall have the engine out tonight and get the gaskets and any valve shims ordered on monday,
I read on here somewhere that cradley are slacking a bit lately cant remember when i read it though, Is that the case or are they still the best place to get stuff from?
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

cradley supply nearly everyone anyway .. just give them a ring, it might take two days, but at least the parts will be correct.