Changing a cam chain

This forum is for informative threads, if you feel a topic should be in here then let us know and we will move it.

Moderator: Moderators

adreid
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Changing a cam chain

Post by adreid »

I have an oil leak from my head gasket and I've decided to change it. Now since the engine will be out I will be changing the CAM chain as the bike is at the 20k miles point. I've searched the forums to see if there is a how to guide of how to change a cam chain and get the timing correct, but can't find anything. Can anyone give me a guide who's done it before, prefereably with pics. I'm a mechanical Engineer and have the manuals so know what's what roughly. Is there anything else that needs changing while the engine is out i.e valve shims, valve guides, cam chain guide. Thanks Adam
If you feel in control your not goin fast enough!
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: Changing a cam chain

Post by RedexRobB »

Doing the Cam chain tensioner is always worth doing while its apart, i dont beleieve they are that much new either.

Can do the valve clearances too while your at it, be a spot on engine once you done all of that :)
adreid

Post by adreid »

So I don't need to change the cam chain guide?
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

only if its snapped
adreid

Post by adreid »

Anyone got a brief guide and any tips on changing the actual cam chain so I don't f*** the timing up. Is there any timing marks anywhere? Any hints on splitting the chain and presing it back together, will a standard chain splitter do the job?
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

We dont have a guide unfortunately, its mainly all in the maual, but yes its simply a case of lining up timing marks. As far cam chain, i think a normal splitter does it, otherwise a grinder (as someone said here recently) would do it, long as you cover everything up :smt003 Im not 100% on putting the chain in tho, i thought it was an endless chain.
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by zimm »

mate, not being funny, read the manual for the procedure on timing it up (h model, chapter 4, L is a supplement only) and do a search on here .. its been covered so many times ..

and you dont need to cut/grind anything, or split the cases as the manual suggests ..
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by zimm »

rob, can you splice together some of the previous camchain threads into the FAQ section ?
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

if you find them for me (pm me the links) yeah ill do that no problem. Really need to get a write up done on the head gasket and cam chain stuff, etc....
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by zimm »

well, we do and we dont, the manual is dead easy to follow, only part of it that is incorrect is the need to split the cases to change the camchain when wiggling it will suffice.

but someone asks every other week, i've explained it half a dozen times as have others.

i'll pm you some links over the next few days, .. if i get really bored i'll even write it all out again.. but im afraid i cant add pics of stages as A) my camera is utterly skunk, and B) im not in the middle of building an engine :)
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Thats fine mate, got a few saved already to splice together, so send me whats relevant.

I will, at some point in the future, do this as mine is only at 13k miles and on the original head gasket so only 7k miles/ish to go till it goes pop :lol:
adreid

Post by adreid »

Thanks guys, sorry to be a pain in the butt
U_h0rnet5
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400

Post by U_h0rnet5 »

I've got to do my soon aswell so when i'm doing it i'll take a few pics if that helps people in the future plus got some pics of changing the head gasket aswell.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

job i plan to do over the winter months........................we are gonna get a winter aint we? i mean c'mon we're still waiting for summer aint we?
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

still april isnt it, with all this rain?