Removing the engine

This forum is for informative threads, if you feel a topic should be in here then let us know and we will move it.

Moderator: Moderators

hciR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400

Removing the engine

Post by hciR »

Disclaimer: The following is a documentation of my work, I am not a mechanic nor am I trained to do this. I cannot be held responsible for any accident or damaged caused by following this guide.

I've had to take my engine out recently to do a head gasket so thought it'd be good to take some pics of what's involved, both to help others and to help me put it back together :)

- Remove the side fairings, black panel on lhs, the fuel tank, remembering to switch the tap to the 'off' position.

- Remove the airbox by taking off the large tube on the rhs, then undoing the six bolts around the edge and the two underneath the rubber grommets.

- Remove the carbs by disconnecting the fuel pipe,
taking off the throttle cable (take the bolt out first so you get slack on the cables)
and loosening the four hose clamps and remove the choke cable and spring.
Make sure the idle cable is free before you take them out, if you've undone all the above the carbs will pull off the rubbers with a little wiggle.
Once out it's a good idea to stuff something in the inlets to stop anything from getting in your engine!

- Remove the chain from the front sproket:
Take off the gear link by undoing the clamping bolt and sproket cover by undoing the 4 bolts around the outside (not the ones in the middle).
Take out the retaining pin, loosen the wheel nut and the locking nuts.

screw the adjusters in and move the wheel forwards to slacken off the chain, take it off the sproket.

- Move the sidestand switch out the way by undoing the two bolts securung it to the side stand.

- There are six wires that need to be disconnected from the engine all black or in a black sleve:
A wire going from the negative teminal of the battery to the engine casing below the fuel filter.
A wire going from the Starter motor to the starter relay.
A sleve going from the pickup coil to a green connector.
A sleeve going from the 'zxr' engine casing on the lhs to a connecting block near the battery.
A wire connected to the oil pressure switch.
A wire connected to the thermistor near a coolant hose

- Remove the radiator:
Drain the coolant By removing the hose clamp and hose
Slacken the coolant hose clamp and hose and disconnect the overflow pipe and remove overflow bottle.
Disconnect the fan switch.
There are five bolts holding on the radiator, two at the top, two at the bottom, and one connecting it to the oil cooler.
Image Image

- Remove the exhaust by undoing the eight bolts holding on the manifold and the one at the hanger.
Image Image

- Depending on why you're taking the engine out you may need to drain the oil, to do so undo the sump plug, the oil capacity is 3 litres.
Remove the oil cooler by undoing the four bolts where it meets the engine.

- Remove the clutch cable by undoing the locknut, then sliding the cable from the bracket. Slacken the cable at the adjuster by the leaver if needed.

Have a quick look around and see if you can spot anything going from the engine to another part of the bike.

Drop the engine
The method you choose to drop the engine largely depends on the tools you use to do it. I had a trolley jack and some stands.
There are only four bolts holding the engine in.
The way I did it was first to put a brick under the sidestand to make the bike more upright, then support the engine with the jack when undoing the bolts.
I wasn't sure how the weight was distributed so I tied some rope round the head of the engine and to the bikes frame to stop it falling forward.
Once all the bolts were out I lowered the engine so it dropped just below the frame, then untied the supports at the head and leant it forwards onto a metal
bar between two stand, this way the engine could then slide out sideways.

If I missed anything, feel free to add to/ correct it.

Enjoy, Rich.
Last edited by hciR on Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Re: Removing the engine

Post by masterofinsanity »

Nice one mate, that must have took some time taking pics, editting and posting, very much appreciated for your efforts.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Good effort, well done :smt003
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

You don't need to remove the cam chain tensioner bolts to get the clutch cable off just slacken the clutch cable adjusters and remove the lock nut to release it from the bottom bracket and disconect from the mechinism.

There was a forum member who damaged his cam chain tensioner by removing the tensioner to do this and while I know the above guide warns of this why touch the tensioner when you don't need to
U_h0rnet5
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400

Post by U_h0rnet5 »

Nice one thats going to be a big help!