removing/replacing the cam chain tensioner.

This forum is for informative threads, if you feel a topic should be in here then let us know and we will move it.

Moderator: Moderators

Scott221
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: ZXR400 L9

Post by Scott221 »

Ok, so when trying to get my blasted clutch cable out, I undid that bolt in the middle of the three (cam chain tensioner?) It looked like a long spring. What do I need to do to reset it?
One life, Live it!
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

do you have a small hole in your tensioner scott? compress the tensioner and put a small bit of wire through the hole to hold it compressed reinstall then pull the wire out and tighten it up.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

Given that he removed the bolt in the middle I'd guess that it's the later version of the camchain tensioner........................therefore.............

You need to unbolt the entire tensioner body it's held in place by 2 M6 screws this will also remove the clutch cable bracket don't forget it on refitting another bit of the tensioner will probable fall out as well so you will also need to take off the ignition pick up/rotor cover in order to repostion it correctly on rebuilding.

Now compress the tensioner back to it's least extended.................. and refit it don't forget about the bit that reachs up to attach to the tensioner blade.
Use some threadlock on the tensioner body screws and tighten them to the correct torque setting.......................OK so far ?

Now you need to refit the springs.................yes there are two of them one inside the other..................use the centre bolt to compress against the springs and tighten it into the tensioner body once again tighten it to the correct torque don't forget the sealing washer.....................now use a 19mm socket to turn the engine over and you will hear the clicking of the tensioner ratchet taking up the slack in the cam chain..................

If at any stage you ever undo any of the tensioner bolts ot matter what the reason you need to reset it from scratch................otherwise ................ BANG...................... very broken engine.

If I had a pound for evey time somebody messed with cam chain tensioners without good reason I'd be very very rich..................
Scott221
Restricted
Restricted

Re: removing/replacing the cam chain tensioner.

Post by Scott221 »

cargo wrote: If I had a pound for evey time somebody messed with cam chain tensioners without good reason I'd be very very rich..................

Thanks for that, I'll go get started in a bit. Yeah, my amatuer knowledge of the bikes components are to blame for this one. It was an "ooohh what does that bolt do" Moment.
One life, Live it!
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

:smt003

Don't think I'm being horrid .......................................just frustrated.................I could make a great business out of ZXR400 if all you guys lived near.
Scott221
Restricted
Restricted

Post by Scott221 »

Ok, so just to make sure, all I did was remove the hex bolt in the middle, didnt touch the 2 allen key bolts and didn't take out the tensioner, just that black hex bolt with the spring thing on it, no teeth, holes or anything on it, just a spring.
One life, Live it!
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

Given what you've said you could maybe just refit the springs and bolt.................assuming that you have not turned the engine over and that you did NOT remove the tensioner body bolts/screws.

If it as me and it was one of my race bikes I'd reset it from scratch but in therory and thinking about it you should be ok just to refit the springs and bolt..............................

Any thoughts on this Zimm ?
Scott221
Restricted
Restricted

Post by Scott221 »

I was speaking to a mate of mine who has a zxr and is an old member (northern_andy). He knows his stuff and said the same as what you've just said. The engine wasn't turned over as the loom was in bits.
One life, Live it!
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

cargo wrote:Given what you've said you could maybe just refit the springs and bolt.................assuming that you have not turned the engine over and that you did NOT remove the tensioner body bolts/screws.

If it as me and it was one of my race bikes I'd reset it from scratch but in therory and thinking about it you should be ok just to refit the springs and bolt..............................

Any thoughts on this Zimm ?
i havent played with the late model tensioner.. but +1 on all points.
Scott221
Restricted
Restricted

Post by Scott221 »

Ok... Just to tripple check!

The centre bolt (black one) is the only one I removed.
One life, Live it!
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

yep that is the tensioner

BTW.................lovely clean looking engine
Scott221
Restricted
Restricted

Post by Scott221 »

So i've got to do all of the above? :ffs :ffs
One life, Live it!
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

yeah go with my last post just refit the bolt and springs......................should be ok given that you did NOT turn the engine over
Scott221
Restricted
Restricted

Post by Scott221 »

The only way the engine has moved in the last 3 months is from my old frame into the new one. I have re-inserted the bolt and tightend it back up, sure it will be ok? Is there no check to make sure?
One life, Live it!
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

cargo wrote:BTW.................lovely clean looking engine
Missed a few bits tho :smt003

Although not shiney, it is clean my engine :smt004

http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/1081771/