Fitting GSXR 1000 Calipers.

This forum is for informative threads, if you feel a topic should be in here then let us know and we will move it.

Moderator: Moderators

ian rycroft
My Bike: kawasaki zxr400

Re: Fitting GSXR 1000 Calipers.

Post by ian rycroft »

Scott221 wrote:'supposed'

The didn't even mask off the wheel bearings casuing them to sieze

Ian, stay away from the gsxr1000 calipers. They are too much trouble - read the thread. Buy some k1/k2/k3 4 pots.
Thanks scott i have bought a nice set of 4pots of ebay
Scott221
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: ZXR400 L9

Post by Scott221 »

Couldn't believe it when I peeled off the protective covers that go inbetween the disc and the wheel and saw that on both sides it had been powdercoated. Well, one side had been completely coated, the other was a right mess and was all flakey and also had bits of masking left over. Spose its my fault really, I should of checked the wheel when it came back from the powdercoaters.

Anyway I filed away the edge of the hub as to make sure that no powdercoat came off the actual inside of the wheel, I then used a scraper and went from the outside to the middle of the wheel. The got some 1500 grit wet n dry and sanded it down finishing it off with some 800 grit.

other side

I also bought some new disc bolts from Cradley Kawasaki. Ordered them at 4 oclock on Monday and they were here Tuesday morning. Those guys are fantastic. I also got the micrometer out and checked the pads to make sure they were braking evenly and also measured the spacers I have to use for the upgraded calipers to make sure they were sitting straight. Which they were.

I took the bike out yesterday and tbh it seems abit better. I wasn't braking very hard due to the weather. Will have to take it for a proper test when it dries up!!
One life, Live it!
stug
My Bike: Yamaha R1

Post by stug »

Scott221 wrote:'supposed'
The didn't even mask off the wheel bearings casuing them to sieze
Wheel bearings should be removed before powder coating as the temperature needed to bake them melts all the grease rendering the bearings pretty much useless.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

just got me a set of 4 pots off a TLS for mine, i was gonna persevere with the 6 pots but for £20 with new pads its worth a shot and saves wasting my time. :smt003
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
Scott221
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: ZXR400 L9

Post by Scott221 »

Good choice. You won't look back mate.
One life, Live it!
Dieseldog
My Bike: Hybrid 350

Post by Dieseldog »

masterofinsanity wrote:just got me a set of 4 pots off a TLS for mine, i was gonna persevere with the 6 pots but for £20 with new pads its worth a shot and saves wasting my time. :smt003
Did you get these mounted Ok, I have the same calipers, I think (90mm spacing), but couldn't get a nice enough looking mounting, made templates out of carboard, - all looked a bit ugly vsad
bengone1
My Bike: 1994 ZXR400

Post by bengone1 »

Just to throw an idea out there. While the master cylinder may not be big enough to give the feel you ultimately want with the 6 pot calipers. A warped rotor will cause excessive brake lever travel. Normally the pad gets pushed off of the surface of the spinning rotor just a hair when you release the lever. There is no vacuum or spring to retract them. Every time the out of round spot comes around it pushes the pistons back into the bore. When you go to pull the lever again it now has to make up that distance on top of the normal compression of the pads.
Tinman
My Bike: Kawasaki zxr 400

Post by Tinman »

Hi. I've got myself a set of k2 gixer 4 pots to go on my l9.
Before I start swapping the calliper so over could anyone tell me if/what size spacers are needed to line the calipers up properly?
Thanks