Fitting GSXR 1000 Calipers.

This forum is for informative threads, if you feel a topic should be in here then let us know and we will move it.

Moderator: Moderators

Scott221
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: ZXR400 L9

Fitting GSXR 1000 Calipers.

Post by Scott221 »

Ok, this is a pretty hot topic on the forum and not much info is about on them so I thought I'd do a little write up on my setup of the 6 pots.

Reasons for upgrade :-

My brakes had always been toad from the start, I decided to rebuild them but then the seals burst on me, big lesson learnt there, if you are going to replace seals and/or bearings, pay for OEM. They may be more pricey but you know your getting the proper quality. However, for me this was not a viable option, i needed 8 pistons and 16 seals plus the 4 smaller seals for the fluid ways. I think I was quoted in the region of 240 quid from Cradley Kawasaki. Stuff that.

First of all you will ofcourse need a pair of calipers that will fit your bike. 62 mm is the magic number for the distance between mounting points. The hard part is making the bolts to fit, the standard ZXR bolts are big, M10 I think, my gsxr calipers use much smaller bolts!

Old on the right, new on the left.

Note how the new bolts have a shoulder big enough to fit snug into the holes on the fork stantions, so no spacers are needed. If you do need spacers made up, here is a diagram showing the sizes you will need.

I am using the standard ZXR400 master cyclinder with HEL braided hoses. I may upgrade to a bigger M/C but the calipers seem absolutely fine with the standard one.

A pic showing the new calipers next to the old ones

Firstly I make sure I have my newly painted wheels all covered up. Brake fluid is a natural paint stripper so make sure you keep any paint work covered up! If you do spill some fluid on your bike then make sure you clean it off straight away. I have taken my fairings off as A) it saves any damage to them and B) it makes it alot easier to acces your brake lines and properly position them.

My master cyclinder and brake lines are connected but my brake lines are NOT connected to my calipers. Firstly I need to prime the lines and to do this we need to top up the master cyclinder with some dot 4 brake fluid. I then take my lines and put them in a jar of brake fluid and pump the lever. This allows the fluid to fill the lines and also not suck air in from the open end. Remeber throughout the process that you are trying to eliminate any air from the system, air bubbles in your lines will give you squishy brakes. Once I'm happy with that and fluid is slowly dripping out the lines, I get my banjo bolts, 2 washers and connect up my calipers making sure the longest line goes to the left caliper and also making sure that I wipe away any fluid that drips onto the calipers.
Now we need to get the fluid to the calipers. I used a syringe which I bought from a pet store (the type used to feed milk to puppies etc) and a piece of tube and use this to draw out the brake fluid. By fair the easiest and cheapest option. You can buy more expensive pumps from various shops or off the internet. You can also buy syringes off ebay if you are struggling to find some. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/easy-brake-bleed- ... 240%3A1318

Once that is done I attach my calipers to the stantions on the bike. I am going to use some locktite on the bolts for added safety

Smearing a small amount on each bolt.
Obviously the bolts need to be tight, but make sure as to not over tighten them. Im sure somone knows the correct N/m rating but I used an allen key with an extra bit of tubing to help give me some more leverage.

Now its time to bleed those calipers. I hate this job with a passion. Its boring and took me ages. I start on the left caliper and bleed each one till I'm happy I can't see any air bubbles coming through I use a simple technique but it works for me.

Open the bleed nipple - slowly press the brake lever and hold - tighten the bleed nipple - release.

Once you start to eventually get some pressure in the calipers, pump them with the brake lever. This moves the pistons into position and will also help get rid of those lurking air bubbles. Once I'm happy I have all the pistons moving, i pump the brake lever 10-20 times and then bleed the calipers using the same technique as above.
Repeat this step until your brakes are nice and sharp, make sure your wheel turns freely and double check your bolts are on tight.

After I have finished I clean all surfaces around where I have been working with water and then a sponge with some soapy water. You will see where you have excess brake fluid as it will turn to a white soapy substance when water hits it!

I hope this offers people a bit more info into upgrading calipers.
One life, Live it!
stug
My Bike: Yamaha R1

Re: Fitting GSXR 1000 Calipers.

Post by stug »

How are the pads on the disk?
Do you need to remove any material from the pad to stop it fouling any part of the disk?
Do the pads cover the same amount of disk as standard i.e from outside of disk to inside?
Do you know if the GSXR disks are the same diameter as the ZXR's?

Sorry for the questions but I am very interested.
Scott221
Restricted
Restricted

Post by Scott221 »

stug wrote:How are the pads on the disk?The size of the 6 pot covers the disc if thats what you mean. I.E all parts of the pad are in contact with the disc
Do you need to remove any material from the pad to stop it fouling any part of the disk? No.
Do the pads cover the same amount of disk as standard i.e from outside of disk to inside? see no. 1
Do you know if the GSXR disks are the same diameter as the ZXR's? Don't know mate depends on the year of gixxer.

Sorry for the questions but I am very interested.
One life, Live it!
stug
My Bike: Yamaha R1

Post by stug »

Cheers for the fast answers!
Ballsout Racing
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by Ballsout Racing »

I thought the point of the 1.5mm flat on the spacer is to make sure the disc is centred to the caliper. Using bolts with a shoulder as shown you will need a 1.5mm washer between the fork mount and caliper to get the disc centered? No?
Scott221
Restricted
Restricted

Post by Scott221 »

Ballsout Racing wrote:I thought the point of the 1.5mm flat on the spacer is to make sure the disc is centred to the caliper. Using bolts with a shoulder as shown you will need a 1.5mm washer between the fork mount and caliper to get the disc centered? No?

I found this out myself the other day. Just put some washers between the stantions and the calipers to make sure the calipers were centered.

Got any Corsa's going spare mate? :smt003
One life, Live it!
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

nice thread scott! Where are the bolts for the calipers from exactly? They the bandit bolts someone suggested once?
Scott221
Restricted
Restricted

Post by Scott221 »

f*cking Twatting c*nting b*st*rding motherf*cking CALIPERS ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! :smt009 :smt017 :smt013 :ffs

These f*ckers are driving me absolutely up the f*cking wall. I just cannot get good pressure in the system. I have gone through an entire bottle of brake fluid bleeding them. I am using a 7r master cylinder so it should be fine. I can actually pull the lever all the way back to the bars if I try. Thinking of f*cking them off and going back to the standard 4 pots with the 7r m/c.

It's so frustrating. Starting to wish I'd never got them.
One life, Live it!
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

damn, unless theres air in there theres no reason why you shouldnt get any decent pressure.

Thought about a gixer master cylinder? failing that gem will suggest you a brembo item ;)

I really would try the vacuum pump for bleeding brakes, really takes the effort out of it and as long as you keep the resevoir topped up you shouldnt get any air.
Jeppo
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by Jeppo »

Myabe the master cylinder is knakerd? Are all the seals intact and in place on the gxsr calipers, particularly fluid seals....
Scott221
Restricted
Restricted

Post by Scott221 »

I'm in two minds. A fully rebuild the calipers with new seals or go back to 4 pots either standard or K1/k2 4 pots.
One life, Live it!
jake
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by jake »

dont do it Scott. I know you have had a few probs with your bike, dont add the cost of replacing the seals. You really will see red when they dont make a difference.
just think, those callipers are quite easy to get hold of, if they where good the top 400 racers around the country would use them
Scott221
Restricted
Restricted

Post by Scott221 »

I've seen a few adds on ebay and it says the spacing on the 4 pots is 60 mil? How do you find the 4 pots mate, are you using the standard zxr m/c?
One life, Live it!
jake
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by jake »

There good.
I used them with the standard zxr mc for a bit, then i tried a radial gsxr, and that was slightly better.
these are the ones, need tapping out same as the 6 pots tho.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Suzuki-GSXR-600-K ... 240%3A1318
Scott221
Restricted
Restricted

Post by Scott221 »

jake wrote:There good.
I used them with the standard zxr mc for a bit, then i tried a radial gsxr, and that was slightly better.
these are the ones, need tapping out same as the 6 pots tho.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Suzuki-GSXR-600-K ... 240%3A1318

How the hell did you find that so quick lol! I've been searching for ages. I will keep my eye on them. I have a 7r m/c and am watching a gixxer thou radial atm. Hopefully will get this sorted!
One life, Live it!