Fitting GSXR 1000 Calipers.

This forum is for informative threads, if you feel a topic should be in here then let us know and we will move it.

Moderator: Moderators

masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Re: Fitting GSXR 1000 Calipers.

Post by masterofinsanity »

why not shamfer the leading edge on the pads?
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
Scott221
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: ZXR400 L9

Post by Scott221 »

No, mine are normal.

I phoned the bloke last night and explained what was going on... "it judders slightly" and "it rubs like a buckled wheel on a push bike"

He asked if the front wheel was standard, well its not, its been powder coated. He said that could be my problem, the part where the disc bolts on and sits has been powdercoated, that could be un-even and be whats causing the discs to rub. So I now have to get the front wheel out and scrape away the powdercoat. Hopefully it cures the problem.

Rob - Brakes should never judder. Something is wrong there!
One life, Live it!
MillaMeter
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: K ZXR400 L2, H Rebel 125

Post by MillaMeter »

Scott221 wrote:Rob - Brakes should never judder. Something is wrong there!
Hi,

If the brakes judder under load thats a sign of either a warped disc, buckled wheel, unbalanced wheel or the disc isn't bolted on straight I.E some disc bolts dne up tighter than others. Scott, put the front wheel on a paddock stand and spin the front wheel slowly and see if you can hear any rubbing in 1 spot E.G it might only make a rubbing noise say at near the valve.

Regards

Rich
MillaMeter's ZXR400 Restoration Click HERE!
ZXR400s 4eva! I miss mine already :(
Scott221
Restricted
Restricted

Post by Scott221 »

I'll go and do that now. Pushing the bike into the garage I noticed it rubbed in only one place as the wheel soan. Didn't look to see where. As I said, will go and look now.
One life, Live it!
Scott221
Restricted
Restricted

Post by Scott221 »

I have just taken the pads out so I can spin the wheel freely on the paddock. The right discs is bent.

Upon spinning the wheel you can see the discs bend ever so slighly on two of the spokes. I also moked up a type of feeler that just cleared the spokes on the discs and again, when spinning the wheel it touched the two spokes that correspond to where the discs is out.

So, is this a warped discs? The left disc (as you sit on the bike) is perfect. Or could this be powdercoat on the wheel making the discs appear un-even?
One life, Live it!
MillaMeter
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: K ZXR400 L2, H Rebel 125

Post by MillaMeter »

Scott221 wrote:I have just taken the pads out so I can spin the wheel freely on the paddock. The right discs is bent.

Upon spinning the wheel you can see the discs bend ever so slighly on two of the spokes. I also moked up a type of feeler that just cleared the spokes on the discs and again, when spinning the wheel it touched the two spokes that correspond to where the discs is out.

So, is this a warped discs? The left disc (as you sit on the bike) is perfect. Or could this be powdercoat on the wheel making the discs appear un-even?
Hi,

Personally I would say it's bent if 2 spokes are slightly out, usally if a disc is warped it will be the floating disc itself not the spokes. Can't you not swap the discs over and then see if it still rubs? if not then that would tell me the powdercoating needs scrapping off.

Regards

Rich
MillaMeter's ZXR400 Restoration Click HERE!
ZXR400s 4eva! I miss mine already :(
Scott221
Restricted
Restricted

Post by Scott221 »

That will be my next move mate cheers!! WHy would the disc be bent? From factory? Or delivery maybe!
One life, Live it!
Scott221
Restricted
Restricted

Post by Scott221 »

Ok - Have now taken both discs off, put the right disc (supposidly bent one) on the left hand side of the wheel and it appears to be the same. I can't be 100% sure due to the lack of light. There seems to be some movement up and down aswell as side to side. What the f*ck is going on!! I also had a look at the wheel. Where the right disc (supposidly bent) sits on it has been powdercoated, where the left discs sits its right down to the metal. As I said I wont fully know till tommorow morning but I'm hoping thats what it will be.
One life, Live it!
jake
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by jake »

check them spacers on your caliper bolts scott. They may be pushing the caliper out of true
Scott221
Restricted
Restricted

Post by Scott221 »

The split of the caliper is in the middle of the disc. Do you mean a discrepancy between the bottom and top mount?
One life, Live it!
jake
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by jake »

aye, if the spacers where off a bit, im sure it would cause a bit of bother
ian rycroft
My Bike: kawasaki zxr400

Post by ian rycroft »

Hi i am going to change my calipers to gsxr 1000 k1 do i have to change my disc as well,my bike is a 1993L,i have also bought a gsxr 1000 K7 radial mastercylinder,i want to keep the discs that are on as they are new prolites,if the gsxr 1000 capipers wont work with my discs which ones do,thanks.Ian
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

when you have wheels powdercoated properly the powdercoaters are supposed to mask the mating surfaces off anyway :smt019
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
Scott221
Restricted
Restricted

Post by Scott221 »

'supposed'

The didn't even mask off the wheel bearings casuing them to sieze

Ian, stay away from the gsxr1000 calipers. They are too much trouble - read the thread. Buy some k1/k2/k3 4 pots.
One life, Live it!
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

MillaMeter wrote:
Scott221 wrote:Rob - Brakes should never judder. Something is wrong there!
Hi,

If the brakes judder under load thats a sign of either a warped disc, buckled wheel, unbalanced wheel or the disc isn't bolted on straight I.E some disc bolts dne up tighter than others. Scott, put the front wheel on a paddock stand and spin the front wheel slowly and see if you can hear any rubbing in 1 spot E.G it might only make a rubbing noise say at near the valve.

Regards

Rich
Wavy discs will judder, look anywhere on the net, its to do with surface area of the disc as it changes with rotation as its not always the same as it rotates past the brake pads.

http://www.digitalcar.org/technical/papers/2006-32-0026