HPI checks

This forum is for informative threads, if you feel a topic should be in here then let us know and we will move it.

Moderator: Moderators

masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

HPI checks

Post by masterofinsanity »

When buying a used vehicle its always a good idea to do a HPI check, now i've always used this https://www.mytextcheck.com/

you text the reg number to 83600

How to use our service
To use the service, simply text a valid mainland Great Britain (excluding Isle of Man, Channel Islands and Northern Ireland) vehicle registration number to 83600. For example:

HA70XSC
Within a few seconds you will receive one or more text messages detailing vehicle data associated with the registration number.

What information will you receive?
We will use the vehicle registration number to search data sourced from the DVLA, Police and Insurance industry. The first text message will contain the make of the vehicle, the model, part of the vehicle identification number (VIN/Chassis Number), size of the engine, the date the vehicle was first registered, the number of owners and indications if the vehicle has been scrapped or stolen. An example message is shown below:

VOLKSWAGEN GOLF R32
VIN***6381 3.2 Sep 07
2 OWNERS
NO COLOUR CHANGES
NOT STOLEN
NOT SCRAPPED
HELP 0844 482 1954

VEHICLE HA70XSC
IS A RECOVERED
VEHICLE PREVIOUSLY
STOLEN ON 12-01-2008
HELP 0844 482 1954

THANK YOU FOR USING THE TEXTCHECK SERVICE
FOR MORE INFORMATION, FURTHER REPORTS AND
CERTIFICATES CALL 0844 482 1954

The third message may also contain an advertisement that mytextcheck considers relevant to the vehicle being checked. Please note that we respect your privacy and your contact details will not be passed to any third party advertiser unless you request further information.

How much does the service cost?
The cost of the service is £3 plus the usual network rate. Once the text containing the vehicle information is received on your mobile phone your account is automatically billed for the appropriate amount in multiples of £1.50. Note that service is NOT a subscription service and can only be invoked by you sending a text message to the mytextcheck service.

What abbreviations are used?
The text message contains 160 characters and to include all the relevant information there may be some abbreviations. For example:

•Volkswagen abbreviated to 'VW'
•Engine size of 2738cc abbreviated to '2.8'
•Registration date of 29-JUL-2004 abbreviated 'JUL04'
How do you receive additional information?
If you would like more vehicle information or a written report please contact 0844 482 1954. This telephone number appears on the bottom of one of the text messages.

What happens if the message contains mistakes?
If you do not type in the keyword correctly before the registration number you may still be charged but may not receive a reply. If you make a mistake with the registration number you may still be charged if the registration number is valid.

What happens if no vehicle is found for the registration number?
If the registration number is valid but no vehicle is found with that registration you will receive a text message explaining that fact but will not be charged. You will receive a message similar to the following :

WE HAVE NO RECORD OF HA70XSC
IN DATA SUPPLIED BY THE DVLA AND POLICE.
HELP 0844 482 1954
What happens if the vehicle is of interest to the police?
If the vehicle is of interest to the Police you will receive a text message asking you to get in contact with the relevant Police Constabulary. To aid the Police, the mobile number requesting details on a STOLEN vehicle may be used by mytextcheck to do a location lookup on the mobile phone at the time of request to find out which area the request is being made from. An example message is shown below.

VEHICLE HA70XSC REPORTED STOLEN ON 13-Apr-04
CONTACT STRATHCLYDE POLICE ON 01415322000 ASAP
HELP 0844 482 1954
How do I receive mileage or valuation information?
For additional checks you may be asked to add a key word before the registration number. For example, to perform a mileage check text CHECKM followed by a space and the registration number:

CHECKM HA70XSC
What if you have other queries?
If you have any other queries regarding mytextcheck please contact 0844 482 1954.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
Randle
My Bike: zx7r

Re: HPI checks

Post by Randle »

I thought I would add to this old post a couple of websites I came across some time ago which allow you to do a vehicle check for free.

http://www.checkitfree.com/
https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck

I do wonder about the accuracy of the sites with them being free, but it must be better than doing no checks at all.
Some of the ones you pay for actually guarantee their results, with compensation if there is an error in the information you are given.
Or maybe they all use the same databases and are as accurate, up to date, as each other????