Crappy US Football Is Too Stop-Starty!

We have a resident rant and raver here at ZXRworld, come and say hello to Jamz.Wanna join him? got something to get off your chest? let it all out................
Jamz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZX9-R C2

Crappy US Football Is Too Stop-Starty!

Post by Jamz »

People in England always say about how American Football is far too stop-starty, but they’re fooling themselves.

The great thing about US football is that from the split second that whistle blows until (just after) if blows again, it’s 100% intensity and commitment. You have to have total awareness or you’ll get murdered.

I assume the people saying it’s stop-starty are comparing it wih rugby and soccer… when if you think about it for 90% of the game in those you’re jogging about half-assedly barely even paying attention. How’s that better than giving it absolutely everything you’ve got and then stopping to discuss the next best way to give it everything again?

Until you’ve played in full kit you really can’t appreciate how intense it all is.

When you’re playing, believe me when I say it doesn’t stop.

The other big whinge most Brits have is “They wear all that padding, the big puffs!”.

First off, I was watching some of the Six Nations rugby yesterday (my first time watching rugby in a long time), and I was very surprised to see that not only are a lot of players wearing head guards now, but many also appeared to be wearing shoulder pads?! So that’s pissed on your bonfire!

Having played both, I understand how totally different the two sports are. Sure, rugby is hard, but if you haven’t got the ball and have no intention of getting it, you won’t find some 300lb linebacker is suddenly all you see before sky, ground and pain.

That ‘padding’ in US Football is also very convenient to use to try and hurt whoever you’re hitting. Again, if you haven’t played in full kit you’ll never be able to appreciate how hard people hit BECAUSE of the ‘padding’.

It’s a brutal game. It’s very tribal and primitive, and even much like a small scale war.

If you haven’t played it (and I notice that I’ve NEVER met anyone who’s actually played who still thinks it’s for pansies), then you’re missing out on an extreme experience!

And on that note, today is Superbowl Sunday!

Tonight, my favourite team – The Pittsburgh Steelers – will take on what is probably my second favourite team – The Green Bay Packers – in the Greatest Show On Earth.

It’s just a shame about the adverts….

So I have beer and snacks in, and can’t -ing wait for what should be a great match up!

*waves his Terrible Towel*
Who needs tyres when you've got knees!! :twisted:

View my Blog: http://blog.myspace.com/nastyevilninja

cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: Crappy US Football Is Too Stop-Starty!

Post by cargo »

When Americian foorball first camr to UK TV on channel 4 I watched and enjoyed..................and I was a fan of the Packers

However it was ruined for me after trying to stay up watching the live Superbowl game it just went on and on and on eventually Igot bored

Sure it's tough and the big hits are certainly bit hits.................but there is plenty of recovery time...................rugby doesnt have that you take a hit and you get up for more or you lose...............thats why rugby is much much tougher.

Yesterday I watched the Ireland game and BOD was at the bottom of a maul/ruck he was the first man up and back into position and recieved the ball ploughed through two defence props to score........................

Think about say 10th phase ball in rugby..........that would take the best part of an hour in US football in rugby it's less that 5 minutes

Both are tough hard games but rugby is tougher and harder.

"Rugby is a good occasion for keeping thirty bullies far from the center of the city." - Oscar Wilde
Jamz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Jamz »

In my experience of the two, US Football was definitely the tougher sport - but then I played with some proper psychopaths! :smt003 To be fair I liked it more so probably also put a lot more into it than I ever did with rugby.

For the Superbowl they do have a lot more breaks because it's all about the advertising. I think I heard in one of the build-up programs that they charge $7million for a 30 second advert slot!! shocking With those kind of figures I guess you can understand why, but I wish they'd just get on with the game.

Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Post by Tirpitz »

I find that people who like Test cricket - as I do - don't have a problem with the length of an American Football game, which is really only a bit of a warm up in comparison......... geek
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
Jamz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Jamz »

Tirpitz wrote:I find that people who like Test cricket - as I do - don't have a problem with the length of an American Football game, which is really only a bit of a warm up in comparison......... geek
Good point! If you're brought up on the game like the Yanks then that's all you know.

I'm sure they think a 90min footy game is a waste of good party time compared to the NFL experience!

cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

I'm sat here watching the damn thing........................ :smt015
Jamz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Jamz »

cargo wrote:I'm sat here watching the damn thing........................ :smt015
It was an ok game - nothing really too thrilling and no huge plays.

I'm sure I'd have enjoyed it more if the Steelers won...