Bike test ball ache

We have a resident rant and raver here at ZXRworld, come and say hello to Jamz.Wanna join him? got something to get off your chest? let it all out................
hudders
My Bike: zxr400

Bike test ball ache

Post by hudders »

1st superbike. 1st test needed. 1st zxr. 1st rant.

Oh my effin god. First ive got to do another CBT cause my old one ran out. So I have to do a whole day looking very serious as a really old geezer who rides a gold wing tells me how to hold my helmet. I effin learned that years ago mate. So while i do hold me helmet he natters on, then please ride round the cones on this bike thats older than you are, remember to feather the throttle cause it is tOo decrepit to idle without death. Pretend the playground is a road, in 3degrees and rain. :smt017

Then, "can you come back tomorrow please cause we left it too late this morning, we spent too long practicing holding our helmets"

You said it mate.

Now I have DONE my theory, £32 and my CBT, £120

All i need to do is my mod 1 and 2. Im 30, so I just want to do a couple hours before each test with the instructor, ride there, do it, and ride into the sunset.

"Noooooooooooooooo cant do it like that. We want to ride you. U can be our little put put and we'll rag the butt off you.

Youve got to do 3 days and a bit of a day riding round cones. £420. Then its £15 for the Mod 1 and £80 for the Mod 2."

But I just want to do a couple of hours with you before each test please.

"Didnt you hear what we said? theyll make you do so many fakin lifesavers youll DIE if you dont pay us £420 and ride around being drilled on our cheap shitty cb500s from the 80's doing the same toad over and over again."

Ok fine whatever your unwritten rules of motorcycle rape are. Do you book the tests?

Noooooooooooooooo you gotta do that yourself. But dont do it too soon or youll DIE. Book training with us first.

Ok fine but what if I book training with you then theres no test for 3 weeks?

Ok book the test but BE CAREFUL cause you want to book mod 2 a while after mod 1 cause you may well FAIL at mod 1 and then you pay for the MOD 2 anyway cause it will be tooooooo laaaaaatttte and the examiner will just have a coffe AT YOUR EXPENSE BE WARNED STUPID CIVILIAN.

Snap to johns tiny brain: "i canny deal with it captain, i just.... HAVENT GOT THE POOOOOOWR"

What am i supposed to do! So I go onto the DVLA website and.... No tests available.

f*** it.
gavinfdavies
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: gpz500s d5, zxr400 L5

Re: Bike test ball ache

Post by gavinfdavies »

sounds like you need to find a better training school!

though I did my test about 2 months before the evil new one, when I rang mine, they found me a test day (friday 13th no less!), then booked me a weekend's training . £160 per day, so £480 all in. Never ridden before in my life, cept a cbt 6 months previous. Day 2 of training and me and structor are up a local mountain in the sleet no less! Passed first go, even did an over take on an a road! Which was fine, until whilst i'm in process on pulling in past lorry (who was doing 40) i hear "...very nice, but we're turning right in about 100 yards..." oh buggar! made the turn mind you.

where abouts are you? if you're any where near shropshire, i'd reccommend Fastrack Shrewsbury. they're about 100m from the test centre, so you learn all the routes etc.
I do 700 miles a week in all weathers including snow, that's roughly 35,000 miles a year, and some weekend warrior biker has the nerve to get out of his Audi at work to tell me to I was riding far too fast in the wet (over taking at 50... fast eh?).
hudders

Post by hudders »

No where near shropshire mate, luton.

Just spoke to a more sense making bloke. I just dont understand why the trainers cant book in hours and a test when ready. they can but they want you to pay 400 quid to train for 3 days for mod 1. thats just overkill unless you have never put a leg over a bike. I have explained i have, but i keep getting a story about how the government fecked up so i have to pay more. I get that distinct feeling that you get when someones trying to pick your pocket.

The booking system is fecked as well, so the training centres block book everything, then cancel within 4 days if no one books that particular test.

The problem is with that, that there are never tests when you NEED them. there arnt enough that every school can book enough to cover every eventuality and so everyone struggles, no one has right dates, and its left to the rider to phone up on a friday or monday at 4pm to check for cancelations.(found that out after many phone calls).

So my advice is do that then book training in 2 x 2 hour blocks before test. If you need both fine, if not great. that means £64 x2 + £64 for the test. plus test fee. =£207 as a pose to 450 for mod1.
mxj560
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L2

Post by mxj560 »

I have to admit that my experience was nothing like this (and I had to do the horrible new test!)

I had never ridden before, and managed to get my CBT, 2 1/2 full days of training, mod 1 and mod 2 tests done all in about 2 months.

To be fair, it is a good idea not to book your module 2 too soon after the mod 1 in case you do fail the mod 1. You don't have to be a bad rider to fail the test, it is very difficult!

From start to finish i think i spent about £500, so £480 for mod 1 and 2 seems a bit expensive. My chap also booked my tests, he was excellent.

Perhaps you should call a number of other teachers to see what they can offer.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

i know loads of people who have done a couple of hours at a time when they want. It does sound like that training school is out for your cash, so i would forget them for a start. Ring round and you are bound to find someone who will do a couple of hours for a fee.

Do your few hours, get some feedback, ride some more, book your test and turn up to take it.
gavinfdavies
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: gpz500s d5, zxr400 L5

Post by gavinfdavies »

Two months to get the license?! Just goes to show how cocked up the new test is! On the old system, march 09, i rang up, booked, paid, and had my ticket in less that two weeks, and the first week of that was waiting to start! It would be easier if they had to put some ones name on each test, that way the schools would only be able to book a test when they had a student for it.

any way, good luck with the new silly test!
I do 700 miles a week in all weathers including snow, that's roughly 35,000 miles a year, and some weekend warrior biker has the nerve to get out of his Audi at work to tell me to I was riding far too fast in the wet (over taking at 50... fast eh?).
hudders

Post by hudders »

Thanks mod 1 booked now for wednesday, mod 2 for 11th april. 50 miles away but sooner rather than later.
hudders

Post by hudders »

Just to update my rant ....

Passed mod 2 today. I took a 4 hour lesson before mod1 , then did mod 1 the did mod 2 total cost just under 500 quid.

got clean sheet for the mod 1, 6 mnors fore mod 2.

If your confdent on a bike i woud keep lessons down to a minimum. Was hard thought i had failed my mod 2 tbh.

All is forgiven. rant over.
razzcolio
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400L1/VT750C2B/VT600

Post by razzcolio »

i had a 125 when i was 17, it got stolen so i was without till this year
now im 23, i rang my local bike place, in vauxall,

thery booked me my CBT for 2 days after the phone call, 3 days after that i had
1 day training for mod1, then 2 days later i had my mod1 test, failed, 3 days after that i had a retest,passed,
4 days after that i had 1 days training for mod2, day after that i got my mod 2 test, passed,

all done within a small time frame, and cost me £70 per day, so £465 in the end roughy, with a fail aswell.

but i was lucky coz during my failing days and waiting days etc i got cancellations, so like my mod2 test was supposed to be 3 weeks after i finally passed my mod1, but i got a cancellation

its still a bloody rip off!! tho, and they say things like
"book your mod1 and mod2 together for £xxx.xx and ull save so much, how ever if u fail u lose ur mod2 money and have to rebook both!" lol stripy fucking jumper needed!
Darkstar
My Bike: zxr400 L3

Post by Darkstar »

I did my training with RSJ in hull.
They organised everything for me and i was done start to finsh in about a week and a half.

very stress free just turn up and ride. job done.

The amount of training time usualy depends on your experience on a bike, I used to ride a scooter (Hangs head in shame) and only needed 2 days.
RichD94
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR 400 L

Post by RichD94 »

I had to travel over an hour and a half on a 125 to the test centre because the one i was booked in at with the training school canceled becaause there wasnt enough tests that day. so on a 125 with the instructor on a 600 and the other guy in my training on a 500 for an hour and a half.... i managed to get 85 out of a gn 125... it blew up. -.-