The Waterman, And The Fabulous Flying Fairing Of Doom

We have a resident rant and raver here at ZXRworld, come and say hello to Jamz.Wanna join him? got something to get off your chest? let it all out................
Jamz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZX9-R C2

Post by Jamz »

Last night we'd arranged to meet up with a few people to ride to the regular Wednesday bike meet at The Waterman pub in Hatton near Warwick.

Tom on his Fireblade met me first, and told me, to my absolute joy and exhileration, that Ben was also coming with us on his Big Gay Harley. Now Ben is all very nice and stuff, but consider that Harley's are slower than a sloths hand-job, and we're on the fastest machinery on the roads. Not a good mix.

Added to this, we were meeting others on a CBR600RR, SP-2, and an R6.

As it happens, we were supposed to be taking lots of wenches on the back, but they had a strop so we ended up with just the girlfriends of the Fireblade and CBR600 coming with us. And the CBR girlfriend dithered so it was really late before we got going, then the other two moaned it was too late to go!

I made the decision to go to the Waterman anyway, and so we went, and I was surprised to see loads of people still there around half eight! So it's kicked off early this year, and should be a huge weekly meet again!

For the way back, Kirsty jumped on my bike for the first time in about 2 years, so I kept things very smooth but fast - scraping my pegs on every corner (she rides a bike herself and goes pillion with Tom loads, so I knew she was safe to do this with). Tom doesn't use clutchless upshifts, and I think Kirsty was pretty impressed with mine, so I might have to teach her that...

Anyway, I have mentioned before that although my bike is mechanically sound, and damn fast, it LOOKS like a total bag of shite.

The fairing is held on with tape and lock-ties and just about all the lugs have been snapped off. I didn't do this, and it doesn't look like the bike was ever crashed. My theory is that the previous owner shagged his girlfriends kitten or something, and she went apeshit and beat the hell out of his bike.

When I was almost home, I filled up with petrol, then when I got off the bike to pay, found that one of the -ing fairing panels (ironically the only undamaged and firmly fitted one) was missing!

How the f*** this 2ft x 2ft sheet of plastic came off unnoticed by either me or Kirsty is a mystery, but it's gone! toad, and my MOT is due soon...

There was no chance finding it in the dark, so I thought I could go out on my lunch break today at work, and have a quick hunt for it. It's probably knackered, but I might as well try and find it.

But oh no! God, Our Lord and Asshole, had other plans!

This morning on my way to work, I saw that a huge fleet of fucking tractors have been despatched, and are happily chopping up the grass at the sides of the roads!!!

YOU FUCKERS!!!

So there's very little chance of my fairing panel surviving...

*UPDATE*

I went out at lunch... starting off slowly, eyes searching the verges...

Then got faster...

And the twisty roads drew me in... I've raced on that road so often...

And then that was it - full tilt blast in my lunch break for 60miles of beautiful, fast country roads!

f*** the fairing - the bike is still here at least!!!
:smt003
Who needs tyres when you've got knees!! :twisted:

View my Blog: http://blog.myspace.com/nastyevilninja

RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Bloody hell, summit with you and side panels aint there!

Well like you say you still got the bike and the ride seems to have made up for it. :smt001
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

are you sure you hadn't left it tied the ground anchor when you left the house jamz?
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
Jamz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Jamz »

LOL I've already tested that the same night you put it in - and it stops you pretty damn quick if you forget about it! :smt003

My fairing is in toad-state and my MOT is next month! :smt009

masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

you don't need fairings for the MOT mate.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Long as your indicators arent attatched to the panels and there arent any nasty sharp edges you should get through fine.
Jamz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Jamz »

No - but what fairings are on the bike have to be secure!

Unfortunately, I can't take them off because the indicators and brake lights are inbuilt into the fairing panels on mine...

deviant
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L3

Post by deviant »

lol.

guy I knew at uni had both side panels fly off his NC30 on the m4, and he swore he didn't notice a thing till he got off the bike!
In the garage:
Kawasaki ZXR400 L3 - shiny
Suzuki DR800 - bouncy
1978 Suzuki GS400 - PROJECT RETRO RACER!
Kawasaki GPz500S - for sale soon
Honda CG125 BR-J - in bits
Jamz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Jamz »

I had it happen on my ZXR (story is probably on here) - I'd just used a pressure washer on it and left a few fairing screws off.

I got to around 100mph before some huge -ing great black thing whacked me in the side!

Then I realised it was my fairing bent back, adn grabbed hold of it as I tried to stop...

The next problem was that with my right hand holding the fairing panel, and the panel jamming my foot, I had no brakes and couldn't put my foot down as I stopped, either! :smt003

Eee, that was fun...

Big Hoddie
My Bike: ZX4R

Re: The Waterman, And The Fabulous Flying Fairing Of Doom

Post by Big Hoddie »

Funny story Jamz! Just out of curiosity, who lives local to the waterman then? Cause I live in Wellesbourne and am always looking for people to ride with!
petchickens
My Bike: 1994 zx4r

Post by petchickens »

hahaha my girl was holding on with duct tape with i got it

and yeah im also interested about the meetings i live in leicester (work near mansfield so used to traveling and miss is at uni in cov) so always close enough for a quick diet coke and a cig with other bikers

can i ask what is the age range there ?
"good" is a matter of opinion...its a 90's bike...styling is purely up to you, but its a nice bike, dont make it look like some wannabe-toad-looking-need-for-speed-ricer-pile-of-crap...
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

i have a post in the free for all section about an up and coming group meeting, saturday the 1st or 8th of september, a run up and around melton mowbary (yes, of pie fame). im in coventry, so you two would be fairly close, especially petchickens, cant be more than 5 miles from you.

ill send two you the PM.

EDIT its zxr 400's only by the way :D
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
Jamz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Jamz »

Holy resurected thread, Batman! :smt003

Only just seen this - I'm at Donington all weekend helping with the Formula Vee cars and getting so sunburnt I look like The Big Bad I Said No.

I might be able to do next weekend, but my ZX9R is dead and I'm on a GPZ500 at the moment... confuddled

Big Hoddie
My Bike: ZX4R

Post by Big Hoddie »

I've organised a ride from stratford to stonehenge on the 14th....