My ZXR

We have a resident rant and raver here at ZXRworld, come and say hello to Jamz.Wanna join him? got something to get off your chest? let it all out................
Scott221
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: ZXR400 L9

My ZXR

Post by Scott221 »

Ok, i want to get this off my chest, out into the open, and breathe easy for abit.

I don't know how to describe how i feel about the bike, on one hand, i love it, it looks great, its fast, it handles brilliant, it sounds fantastic. On the other hand, its very uncomfortable, its noisy (engine whise), the brakes are toad and i have to question whether the engine is about the blow up on me after 13,000 miles.

Now, this could ofcourse be down to the previous owner (s) as I treat the bike like it should be (my pride and joy) I clean it regularly (even if I know its going to f*** it down the next day) I lube the chain, I change the oil, I let it warm up before riding, its not like a light the fires, kick the tyres, rape it like theres no tommorow and leave it to rust out in the rain and cold.

Back to the engine, like I said, its fantastic, whilst not being the most grunty tourqe whise, it makes up for it in the higher revs. The bike is asking to be thrashed and the engine loves it as it screams like a virgin. But could this be at the expense of reliablity? As im tootering along, the inevitable hard vibration that appears at 6200 revs (NOT 6100) restrains me from riding the bike as it should be, instead i act the sheep and knock it into fourth and cruise at 4000, and at that rpm, the definition of power is yet to be realised.

Whilst we're on the case of knocks. The gearbox. CRUNCH, BANG, CRACK, CRUNNNNNCHHHHHHH and then, finaly the gear change. The gearbox is TERRIBLE and it hates changing gears in the high revs. And then there is the clutch. WOW... Im actually sometimes ebarrased to whack it into neutral and let it knock away like its about to dissolve, WHY DOES IT MAKE SO MUCH NOISE????!

I think a visit to Cradley Kawasaki is in order. Im not the kind of guy who wants to be paying for some other guy with a spanner have a look at it, but i want the bike to perform as it should and that bit piece of mind that its sorted.

Even though i seem to be whining like a bitch here, i mean, maybe there is nothing wrong after all? I know that when ive finished cleaning it tommorow morning, adjusted and lubed my chain, oh, and replaced those rusty fairing bolts - When ive done all that, and im finally blatting along the road, ill be grinning from ear to ear, like a school boy on weed.

Thats that. :smt017
One life, Live it!
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: My ZXR

Post by RedexRobB »

Thats gonna sum up the ZXR for alot of people i think. Ive never found the engine that vibey myself, not that i remember anyway. As for the gearbox they get better with age and use. I think about aboe 11 or 12K miles they start to get better. Only time i ever got the clunk clunk clunk clunk was when i didnt pull the gear lever fully to get the change. RMKD are reving thier engine to about 16k (i believe) now and apparently quite reliably too.
Scott221
Restricted
Restricted

Post by Scott221 »

I think i may have sorted my gearbox problem with a simple practice of adjusting to clutch cable tension :smt002

So Braided lines, yay or nay?
One life, Live it!
tobomoto
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: zxr400l4 zx7r

Post by tobomoto »

i put braded lines in mine and they are a bit better but they dont stop you as well as a tree or a car... vsad
anything is possible with enough time and money. and an open mind...
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

tobomoto wrote:i put braded lines in mine and they are a bit better but they dont stop you as well as a tree or a car... vsad
:lol:

you say that like you would prefer it that way!?

Id go for braided lines yes and possibly a master cylinder rebuild kit, they arent much bout 30 quid if memory serves me correctly, that should sharpen things right up!
tobomoto
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: zxr400l4 zx7r

Post by tobomoto »

haha! before i changed them it came very close to that!
anything is possible with enough time and money. and an open mind...
Scott221
Restricted
Restricted

Post by Scott221 »

Id go for braided lines yes and possibly a master cylinder rebuild kit, they arent much bout 30 quid if memory serves me correctly, that should sharpen things right up!
Are you running braided hoses Rob? Ive been look at these http://www.mossracing.co.uk/braking.html (might have to scroll down)

Where would i find a rebuild kit mate?
One life, Live it!
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Yeah im running them on my ZXR, also my 7R, i felt the biggest improvement on my 7 tho. There was a link for it somewhere, have a look round the net mate, should be able to find them. wemoto i think does them.
Jamz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZX9-R C2

Post by Jamz »

I never had a problem with the brakes and thought they were damn good!

Of course, rubber brake lines won't be at their best on a 15 year old bike, regardless of the mileage - so braided lines are a good move!

Can't remember what make mine were, but I DO remember hitting a Blackbird (the actual feathery flying type) at around 80mph and it's beak severing the brake lines! That was fun when I pulled the lever on my way home and nothing happened! shocking
Who needs tyres when you've got knees!! :twisted:

View my Blog: http://blog.myspace.com/nastyevilninja

Scott221
Restricted
Restricted

Post by Scott221 »

RedexRobB wrote: wemoto i think does them.

They really have some decent stuff on that site!!

http://shop.wemoto.com/index.dyn?oid=5835161
One life, Live it!
billy big skid

Post by billy big skid »

I've put Honda Fireplace Nissin calipers on mine along with a CBR 600 master cylinder. Now the back wheel waves about under heavy braking. Cool!
Gemini
cloning technology
cloning technology
My Bike: CBR1000RR4 Fireblade

Post by Gemini »

cradley kwak do a m/c rebuild kit for £25
There's No Explanation For The Way I'm About To Behave!!!
rene
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: kwack ZXR750L1

Post by rene »

your calipers are foked fella. My brakes were shocking, both disks where warped and only 2 pistions on the calipers worked.

I changed the front end for stuff off a L9 and my good even the standard set up was good!
ZXR750 L1
tail tidy, polished bits, custom paint job, k&n, dynojet, Full akropovik, down geared, GSXR calipers, hel brake lines front and rear & clutch line, maxtron resprung froks 120BHP

BikePics page-
http://www.bikepics.com/members/zxr400rene/