Genuine J1 SP or standard H1???

A spin off from a previous post by RobB, I have created a forum so we can identify which model ZXR400 you have and to show different variations of colour schemes. Please feel free to post pictures to help others identify their ZXR400's but please keep them to factory std releases.

Moderator: Moderators

asandilands69
My Bike: ZXR400 SP / R1

Genuine J1 SP or standard H1???

Post by asandilands69 »

Hello guys and girls, I've got a bit of a dilemma which I'm hoping someone can help with! Basically, I've bought in spares or repair condition hopefully a 1989 SP (J1) but I'm having a bit of trouble identifying it for sure! I've read several posts, and it does seem to have some key features...but as it's not currently rideable, I can't check whether it has the close ratio box! It does have the green rear coil spring, and it also has a 'J' stamped in to the side of the cylinder head, both of which apparently indicate it's an SP. however, another post states that the J1 never had 'ZXR' on the NS engine casing, which mine does have! I have used the Japanese identification link at the top of this subject board, which identified it as a ZX400RR J1 last night...brilliant I thought!...until I read yet another post from a fella just as confused as me, as his bike was identified as a J1, but has a rear seat!!? :-S
My frame number if its any help to someone is ZX400H300256
Columbo
My Bike: ZXR 400 L9

Re: Genuine J1 SP or standard H1???

Post by Columbo »

Frame number says J1.
Congrats on the find!

I used this link from the sticky.
http://www.kawasaki-motors.com/for_user ... aizenFrame

Insert frame number.
Receive year and exact model.
asandilands69

Post by asandilands69 »

Brilliant, cheers for that mate! I can relax and begin the restoration now! Lol. The poor old girl has been sat in some dusty workshop for the best part of 10 years untouched!
Columbo

Post by Columbo »

I'm looking for one that's been neglected. Gotta be a UK spec L model.

Complete strip and rebuild with new bearings and rubber components all over along with a complete engine rebuild.
asandilands69

Post by asandilands69 »

Keep an eye on eBay mate, took me about 5 years, but worked out for me in the end! Lol. Gonna be a complete strip down, re powder coated everything, new bearings and gradually put back together. Engine shouldn't need a rebuild hopefully as its only done 15,000km...full service and valve clearances should hopefully be fine. Will need to source some parts though, as its currently missing its complete body kit, along with a few other parts.
Columbo

Post by Columbo »

I'm on ebay atleast 5 times a day looking for one :p

They're all miles away from me though :/
asandilands69

Post by asandilands69 »

Always the way mate, I had to trek 100miles each way for my SP...was worth it to see the mrs's disapproving face as I pulled it out the van though!! Haha, she'll come around when it's done I'm sure.