There seems to be an intermittent fault with the hosts server, Bear with us whilst we try and resolve it.

ZXR400 L9"SP" rebuild

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

mark400
My Bike: Building an original SP

ZXR400 L9"SP" rebuild

Post by mark400 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:10 pm

I bought an immaculate L9 with a blown head gasket in 2005 - Unusual for a bike with 19k miles.Came with original manual, service book, (stamped 1st service and the next 3 as well) original toolkit in perfect condition. Since buying this L9, I spent 7 years racing ZXR's, and restoring my 1993 RRP Blade, finally getting close with this one..

I always wanted an SP but accidentally sold my SP frame,(but kept the SP bits) so this bike won't have an SP frame number, but has everything an original SP has and more.I had sourced an SP frame in Japan, but the freight was too expensive

So to the build - Frame and swing have been powder coated, and an engine freshly built with this spec :

SP Cams
SP Close ratio G/Box
SP Flatslides with airtray
Stick coils

Gas flowed head, modified Omega pistons with extra oil canal holes, scalloped barrels, lightened rods, increased compression and stainless flat head valves, new cam chain and clearances done to race spec, Also repainted all casings, engine block blast cleaned. New frictions and steels, cable. I expect it to be around 76hp at the back wheel. Added a Micron system with carbon can, would have preferred BEET but they are very costly, even 2nd hand. Might consider an MHP when I've got some cash !

Suspension : Competely overhauled SP forks with comp. damping, re anodised fork tubes, Wilbers rear shock with remote reservoir now fitted
5 inch rear wheel with custom alloy spacers and sprockets 16 / 43 and New X ring gold 520

Braided brake lines front and back with GSR calipers & alloy hat spacers, Ti bolts, AB rearsets, Motobatt battery, silicon cooler hoses, and plenty of new bolts in the style of Japanese motorcycle bolts.

Still need to fit the repainted SP (genuine with lock) seat which is with the decal company, will be a blend of the L9 Green / White / Pink with the original matt black number panels, set up the carbs on the dyno ( I think it's a bit rich atm) and finally, add the SP loom and Igniter / CDi, hope Banner can arrange this early next year, once I've got Christmas out of the way ! ( Banner, thanks for the phone call regarding looms, - I'll get in touch to have the genuine aged loom refreshed) & possibly fit the custom radial M/C, depending on space, and a Quck action throttle ( Any suggestions welcome, ideally a similar throttle tube with a better ratio ?)

Intending to do plenty of track days next year on the smaller tracks like Cadwell, Angelsey, Castle Combe and Oulton.

Nice to have would be an original screen in VGC ( I have one but it's scruffy - Perhaps I can get it polished), and the only part missing is a geniune SP rear subframe, not too important as the L rear frame all suits the SP seat fine too. Maybe Green wheels will suit it better, will decide once the seat unit is finished, as the black panels should go with the black wheels.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mark400 on Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

NG Road Racing Champion 2012 400SS

banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: ZXR400 L9"SP" rebuild

Post by banner001 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:34 am

Coming along nicely!

UK ZXR 400 L4
UK ZXR 400 L3 track bike
1989 FZR 1000 EXUP-R streetfighter

wilko
My Bike: zxr400 L1 & R1 4c8

Re: ZXR400 L9"SP" rebuild

Post by wilko » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:40 pm

Looks brilliant :smt023

Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy toad, what a ride!