Project GingerNinja

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

bobtheimp
My Bike: Big-Bore ZX9R B2

Project GingerNinja

Post by bobtheimp »

Right then ..

ZXR400 L, 1994 L Reg .. for a certain young lady so has to be done to a high standard.

Bought for the princely sum of £550, which is a bargain I think, despite the amount of work it needs.

This is what it looked like when it arrived:

After getting it into the workshop I started removing all plastics .. pretty much every panel is broken, with the exception of the tank cover and the hugger (and possibly front mudguard, haven't got that off yet).. but then I expected that anyway to be honest.

So, with the bodywork off, you can see (hopefully) that it's been stood a while - last MOT was 2008 but the spiderwebs etc. in the engine bay and under the rear seat hints that it didn't do much last year either..

So, with a liberal application of Jizer, I started to clean it .. found lots of little red spots everywhere, looks like the bike was kept somewhere they were spraying! ..
Originally I was just going to tidy it up and get it on the road, however, after compiling a shopping list of bits I could see straight off, I reckon it's a full strip down and rebuild .. so the plan now is:

Powdercoat frame, swingarm, yokes & all brackets satin black;
New bearings/seals throughout;
Carbs need looking at, the choke and throttle action are really stiff;
Forks rebuilt/resprung etc.;
Rear shock either rebuilt or see if I can find an Ohlins or WP one for reasonable money;
Wheels powdercoated black;
Needs new mirrors and crash bungs (Shamus, I'll be in touch shortly :D);
Seats need recovering (Giddy/Tina I'll be in touch shortly :D);
The alternator cover has been badly repaired, so need a new one of those, or a 2nd hand engine if a low mileage one comes up (this one has done 36,000 miles, but doesn't look well cared for);
Replace the awful alloy footrests for proper, OEM ones;
New cables;
New loom - the current one is full of scotchblocks ... :shock:
New exhaust, either go for pattern stainless downpipes with a road legal can, or see if a decent system comes up for a reasonable price;
Full bodykit minus tank and tank cover;
New tyres;
New chain & sprockets;
Carbon over;
Carbon clock surround;
Carbon hugger if I can find one.

Gonna be black chassis with sunburnt orange (Kawasaki ZX6R colour) bodywork.

Phew ... so, looks like I'm not gonna get bored any time soon! :D

Stripping the rest of the bike down tonight so it'll just be a collection of parts by tomorrow .. may give my powdercoater a ring in the morning see i he can collect this stuff this week :D (yes, my powdercoater collects and delivers stuff to me on account of me being such a good customer! :D).
bobtheimp
My Bike: Big-Bore ZX9R B2

Re: Project GingerNinja

Post by bobtheimp »

Current thinking is to replace the front brakes with GSXR1000 items (I have a spare set of the gold 6pots) - it's the same process as when I fitted them to my 9R B2....also seen someone with a rear GSXR caliper (matches the front in colour) - would be interested as to how easy this is to fit?

I have a few GSXR swingarms in the shed too - K4/5 and 6 ... very nice and very light - may see how easy/hard they are to fit - IIRC the width is not too far off ..

How good are the standard rear shocks? I am deciding between getting the standard one rebuilt, or chucking a 6R/GSXR K/something else on..

As I strip this one down, I'm finding stuff I need to replace or wasn't there in the first place, so will no doubt be on the lookout for some bits shortly .. :D
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

looking forward to seeing how this comes along!
jackdim
My Bike: yz490

Post by jackdim »

Nice build

Caberg V2 ftw as well.
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

Only just noticed this one - doh!

How's your build coming along - that's one extensive list you've got to go through geek

MM!
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly