The Kwak Lives!

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

The Kwak Lives!

Post by Tirpitz »

Right, here we go chaps, the project to get the 13 year laid up ZXR400 back on the road is over. It runs, and it sounds sweet :excited

Put the new, freshly charged battery on it Monday, filled the bike with fluids and carb cleaner in the tank. After remembering I had removed the main fuse all those years ago, and remembering where it went, :wanker we had ignition - but no fire up. I suspected another 'tosser' moment when repeated tries produced no petrol vapours out of the exhaust, and right enough I had put the fuel tap knob back on wrong (dunno how as it has a lug :smt017 ) so my 'On' was really 'Off'. Tried again - second spin it fires up on all four biggrin Who said these engines have a starting problem when left? Knackered batteries more like.

I got it warmed up so the fan came on and then turned off. No probs that I can see, usual rattly clutch but that's a feature not a fault winks

Next day I refitted the rebuilt brakes with the Hel hoses. Back brake piece of piss, front was the usual PITA to get primed and bled, took hours, and I was left with way too much lever travel. I tied it back overnight with the MC reservoir cover off and got a good lever next day. Here's hoping that's it sorted.

So, we're back on the road - well, when I get it MoT'd etc. :excited

Here's what she looks like today
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
Daniel.p
My Bike: Zxr400 93

Re: The Kwak Lives!

Post by Daniel.p »

look's beautiful can i marry it? i'v never seen that scheme in the flesh, round where i live iv seen 2 zxr's 1 has no fairings and the other might aswell have been on bricks!
Ride it like you stole it
Azazel
My Bike: ZXR400 L1

Post by Azazel »

I really love that colour scheme. I'm currently trying to get an L1 back on the road - is it satisfying when you hear it running?
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Tirpitz »

Yes mate, very satisfying to hear it run after the work to get it sorted out. Can't wait to get out on it now.
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
Nitron Sport shock
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

Daniel.p wrote:look's beautiful can i marry it? i'v never seen that scheme in the flesh, round where i live iv seen 2 zxr's 1 has no fairings and the other might aswell have been on bricks!
:smt005

But agree - that colour does rock :smt007

Good stuff getting it up and running again Tirpitz :smt023
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Tirpitz »

Brakes now sorted after a bit of faffing about, Motografix tank pad fitted, fully Autoglym'd and ready for MoT-ing. Ring round for some insurance tomorrow, then I'll take it for a careful spin round the block - just to test it before I go to the MoT centre :smt002

I reckon that's this thread wrapped up :smt001
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
Nitron Sport shock
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Tirpitz »

Tirpitz wrote:I reckon that's this thread wrapped up :smt001
.........apart from to say bike passed MoT Thursday and took it out for a chilly few hours next day to clear the spiders out of the exhaust :smt003 A gentle 30 miles to scrub the tyres in :smt002 then something a little more progressive. Hmm..... had forgotten how it shifts :excited Mind you, my cornering speeds are rather embarassingly rusty so work to do there.

So, anyone around the S Yorks area - might see you about.
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
Nitron Sport shock
jaiendea
My Bike: ZXR 400 L3

Post by jaiendea »

Tirpitz,
Looks good. I'm in Pontefract. Mines just in progress. Hopefully will be done by mid August. Look out for my thread soon......
666damned
My Bike: ZXR400 L1

Post by 666damned »

i know the feeling of that first run up ..........had the same with my KR1 after an engine change and 18 months resto.........she looks th danglies m8y.nice and clean......