Danman's ZXR 400 L9 build (day by day)

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

Danman109
My Bike: ZXR 400 L9 2001

Danman's ZXR 400 L9 build (day by day)

Post by Danman109 »

So hey guys, this is where im going to post the progress on my zxr400 as at the moment all of the bike is stock with the original parts.

The Plan:

1) bring the braking system up to date ( the old lines visibly expand when pulling the lever :smt011 ) so new braided lines are to go on, HEL or Goodridge. (front and back) possibly a 6 pot caliper conversion which looks tasty!

2) De-restrict - i suspect it has restrictors on the carbs only but who knows

3) Wing mirror indicator project - LED 'Ducati style' along with flush mount indicators rather than leave empty holes in the fairings, also adds visibility so im happy with that.
4) New exhaust downpipes - the old system has gone all holy, sounds fantastic biggrin but annoys the hell out of the neighbours oldman (ideally i want to go with a stainless steel system however i feel this is slightly out of budget reach right now.. we'll see) the bike may need dyno-jetting too as it runs slightly rich at the moment.

5) Suspension - re-condition and set up by MCT for my weight and riding

6) K-conversion fairing kit - a Road/Track fairing kit to be ordered in metallic blue and the wheels to be re-sprayed gold, with a ram air box and the frame to be sprayed black.

For now here are some pics of the bikes old and new :)

---- EDIT 1/3/11 ----

Calipers stripped and cleaned... THOROUGHLY (it needed it badly) i now have all 8 brake pistons working (rather than 3 between both calipers)

---- EDIT 3/3/11 ----

Goodridge brake lines - ordered
Caliper piston seals - ordered
Full service (inc. filters, plugs, oil, + fitting lines + seals fitted) - booked in for 15days time

---- EDIT 9/3/11 ----

Goodridge lines - arrived (wrong ones sent back and re-ordered)
Caliper piston seals - arrived (to be fitted)
Full service to be done next week ahead of schedule :) (restriction washers to be removed during inspection of carbs)

---- NEEDED ----(please shout if you have any of these items spare! much appreciated)

Rear hugger without holes please!

Rear brake Disk in spanking condition please (it needs to last, i dont want to have to replace it, if that means buying new then thats fine too, please shout with your best price :) )

Stainless exhaust downpipes (im keen to keep my MTC end can but not too fussy)

Rear shock, no rust, good price, as i am considering upgrading anyway.. we'll see...
Last edited by Danman109 on Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ZXR 400 L9 race bike
ZXR 400 L2 Hopkins GP replica.
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Re: Danman's ZXR 400 L9 build (day by day)

Post by Mori Man »

Rear shock looks bad - almost reminds me of my bike when I got it 1st smiler

Doesn't take long to get them looking tip top again :smt002
MM!
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
Danman109

Post by Danman109 »

Mori Man wrote:Rear shock looks bad - almost reminds me of my bike when I got it 1st smiler

Doesn't take long to get them looking tip top again :smt002
MM!
I reckon it's largely to do with the holey rear hugger which seems completely useless if you ask me, do you reckon it's worth upgrading the rear shock or getting that one re-conditioned? Many thanks! Dan
ZXR 400 L9 race bike
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

Does seem strange they put the holey moley hugger on some of them :smt017

If you have the dosh then always worth upgrading the shock , but a refreshed original is going to give good service for a few years.

MM!
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
bendog66
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: ZXR400 L4, ZX6R F1 track

Post by bendog66 »

I have a non holey rear hugger. All lugs etc intact. PM me if you're interested or want pictures
Danman109

Post by Danman109 »

Wow so it's been a while and i figured its time to update this thread,

So far the mods are:

Carbon Fibre front mudguard:

Stainless downpipes:

Flushmount indicators:

Removed mirrors and blanking plates from other side of intake tubes:

I have replaced my old rusty shock for a shining spanking new(er) one and it performs SO much better i'm SO glad i did it! (no picture as yet but i'll put it in an edit)

The project for this weeked is replacing the rocker cover gasket.. soon a Chain and sprocket kit will be required (gearing for more accel?) and i will be getting the carbs set up for power on the Dyno (a mere 62.4bhp at the moment)
ZXR 400 L9 race bike