What a shock I got !

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

What a shock I got !

Post by Mori Man »

Rear shock that is :smt003

Spring had seen better days so it got painted the right colour :smt002 Damper rod is pristine , bump stop is in good condition too , rising rate works as does compression dampening :smt004

Usual magical moment as soon as I rode it down the road and out onto the main - no trauma through my back where my two lower discs want to melt together :smt005

Initially set the pre-load at around a 1/3rd went upto the local Nankai and got myself a C spanner and upped to about 1/2th - wasn't too bad getting there just slightly bouncy.

Another thing it has changed is the ride height and I am now up on my tip toes shocking Thing is I like it , cornering is just a breeze and effortless :smt004

100% recommend , will see if I can get the J2 Showa overhauled with a better spring for bike two as I really feel how stiff the OEM one is. Does the Kit Green spring make a better improvement ? They come up regular so might have a pop at one.

I had to use the uni-track off of a SP/L along with the shock as the H/J linkage is 2mm too small where the shock hooks in (The part that the dogbones , shock and frame attach onto)

Now if these aftershocks would just stop so I can go for a right good thrash round the mountain - no way I want to be caught by one doing silly speeds :smt009
IMG_0064008.jpg
IMG_0051001.jpg
IMG_0056005.jpg
IMG_0054004.jpg
IMG_0053003.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Re: What a shock I got !

Post by Tirpitz »

Had you tried to back the preload off on the OEM MM? I've just got myself some C spanners and intend tweaking my OEM one. I reckon mine's still too firm even though I had a garage back it off years ago. Just wondering if you're saying that no matter what you did with the OEM you couldn't get it right - in which case an aftermarket replacement looks like a good upgrade.

Incidentally, how easy is it to swap? Presumably you're not going to be able to do it with the bike on a paddock stand. I was thinking of fabricating some sort of wooden cradle to go under the engine, which would support the bike from falling to one side, then lowering it down onto bricks etc.. Then with the weight on the front wheel and the engine the swingarm could be worked on.

Or is there an easier way for the home mechanic :smt017 . Of course, if there was a centre stand..........
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister

Post by Mori Man »

:smt005 Sounds like the cradle I made for when I done the rebuild.

I have a bike jack - remove sidestand and it lift up on both sides of that part of frame - worked out at about 2hrs work

To remove & replace shock:

Remove both lower cowls and store.
With bike on paddock stand remove side stand.
Jack bike up.
Remove riders seat and complete seat cowl.
Unbolt remote res' on OEM unit.
Unbolt fuel pump / electrical block bracket.
Depending on your bolt/nut configuration you might want to remove end can and link pipe from zorst.
Remove top mount nut from shock.
Remove shock lower mount nut.
Remove frame rail nut & bolt.
Remove dogbone nut & bolt.
Move uni track link forward for acces and remove nut & bolt for lower shock.
Remove top mount shock bolt and feed shock through swingarm.
Guide remote res' through inner mudgaurd and down through swingarm.

Give everything a clean , grease unitrack linkage and rebuild is reverse of above.

The thing with backing off the preload too much is you will not set the rider sag , the inherint stiffness of the OEM spring cant be dialed out with out compromising the performance of the trackability of the bike, it will unload to late in bends if not set right. I set the shock for my weight and riding style , it felt great except for wanting to weld my lower discs and rattle my fillings.... once you experience " magical carpet " ride that a quality shock gives you understand the problems so going back is almost impossible !

Don't back your preload off beyond your rider weight with gear or the sag wont be right - OK if your a bod and dont push your bike but expect it to perform and you will come a cropper - if it unloads to late you will drift
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister

Post by Mori Man »

BTW, while I was doing this and it was sitting up on the jack with no shock - of course a quake happened and yet again I am holding the bike from toppling ! :smt005

Gawd damn bloody mother nature ! :smt019
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Tirpitz »

A bike jack? Call me thick but it never crossed my mind they existed :wanker What you got then MM, something like this http://www.fastbikebits.com/product/308/mini-bike-jack ? I reckon that's something I'm going to look into adding to the workshop because before too long I'd really like to strip and grease the rear suspension linkages and without something of the sort it's going to be a PITA.

Get your point about fiddling with the rear shock preload. I may just have to upgrade it with a bit of bling. Now where did I put that Ohlins......... :smt004
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
Nitron Sport shock
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister

Post by Mori Man »

Almost identical to that jack except cheaper :smt005
Jack-3.jpg
Came with a box spanner for winding it up and down but I use a 22mm socket and ratchet. Two different height feet for clearing sumps too. First got it for doing the front end on my ZRX and it worked a treat so paid for itself in that one job :smt004
Exhaust-clearance-1b.jpg
Have used it several times now and still going strong despite living outside in the open bike shed (my garage) - gave it an oiling this year.
Lifted-1.jpg
If you have a shed / garage with roof beams you could use ratchet tie downs on the sub frame and suspend it - zip tie the front brake lever to stop the front end rolling.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Tirpitz »

Yeah well it would be cheaper, this is the UK :smt009

Right, I know what's on my shopping list then. I can think of a few jobs I can do in my shed with that next winter.

I wouldn't suspend a light bulb from my shed roof beams, never mind the bike shocking
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
Nitron Sport shock
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister

Post by Mori Man »

Tirpitz wrote: I wouldn't suspend a light bulb from my shed roof beams, never mind the bike shocking
:smt005

Talking about cheapness , a package on its way to you :smt001

Going to post some photos soon and wil email you the tracking for it.

MM!
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Tirpitz »

Cheers MM! :excited
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper