The 2nd Rebirth.

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: The 2nd Rebirth.

Post by RedexRobB »

Not much again since my last post, except for the arrival of the radiator and an oil cooler too!!

As i mentioned previously ive been keeping my eye out for parts on ebay, and last week I came across a 6k mile oil cooler from our resident ZXR parts breaker falloffslowly! Put in my offer and we came to a deal at £70, these are £441 new and this one isnt far off new either! Managed to pick it up yesterday and now have in my posession a complete and almost new cooling system for my bike. If I was going to make it any better i would have to buy a pump! An since that works fine ill stick with it!

This post would be useless without pictures, so find some below.

As you can see a few dings in them but nothing a set of tweezers wouldnt sort id imagine!

On the look out for some new calipers next providing something rare doesnt snatch the cash first. Saw a lovely set on ebay from a ZZR11/6 but at the £130 they sold for that was a bit beyond my reach considering id just spent £160 on cooling!
cookiesol
My Bike: ZXR 400 L7

Post by cookiesol »

lovely oil cooler/rad!

k7 gsxr calipers!
or some actually use the 916 brembo with spacers yes?
jimsym
My Bike: ZXR 400 L9

Post by jimsym »

Very interesting thread :-D

Bit of a dumbass question incoming, but I just watched the video that shows you checking the rubbers / spraying carb cleaner.

After you sprayed carb cleaner next to the rubbers, you then sprayed carb cleaner into the air intakes at @15 seconds in, the fact the revs rose this time is normal / expected behaviour right?
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

jimsym wrote:Very interesting thread :-D

Bit of a dumbass question incoming, but I just watched the video that shows you checking the rubbers / spraying carb cleaner.

After you sprayed carb cleaner next to the rubbers, you then sprayed carb cleaner into the air intakes at @15 seconds in, the fact the revs rose this time is normal / expected behaviour right?
yeah, what i was illustrating there was that spraying into the carbs was the same as spraying onto the rubbers because of a leak, that way its not just a freak occurence.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Once again I've left it for some time to update and do anything and most recently things are actually starting to move.

I'm phasing the build and first up is the chassis and wheels. The frame itself is fine but the swing arm has taken a good whack in the past and is dented. Forks are OK but one side is bent. Disks are rusty and I'm pretty sure are warped. Wheels appear to be good as gold (excuse the punn) so they just need a clean and fitted with new tyres, bearings and discs. So while on the lookout I spot a rolling chassis on ebay and took the swing arm, wheels with discs and front forks for £200.

I only wanted the discs off the wheels as mine are well and truly f****d. So wheels will be sold on and will take the replacement discs off to be tidied up as they are lightly scored. The forks are straight but one stantion is pitted, however I think a good set can be made with the pair already on the bike. I'm on the lookout for some decent suspension: http://zxrworld.co.uk/zxr400oc/viewtopi ... 24#p115297

Next up is the ordering of new bearings all over and looks to be coming in at round £200 for oem parts plus all the niggley bits like well nuts if the ones I have can't be saved after removal. Then it's off to the powder coaters for everything and assemble!
GibboN
My Bike: ZXR400 M4 ('94)

Post by GibboN »

You make it all sound so easy! Keep the photos/vids coming.
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Post by CaNsA »

RedexRobB wrote:deal at £70, these are £441 new

Christ mate, that is pretty decent :D

I paid 50 for one that has a tiny bit of road crud on it.
I dont want to fit it because i know it will get fuxord.
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

I couldnt believe it when it came up on ebay, its practically new! Then right after that the oil cooler came up too!

Its is a worry about it getting ruined, but I got to ride thing! :pmsl May well invest in some finer mesh to protect it, well see.

Reading up on skimming brake discs to tidy up my set, and it seems its not at all advisable, so on the look out for discs too....
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

ive seen some bike's with a front mudguard-extender...projects further down at the rear of the mudguard helping to stop crap from hitting the bike...might be something out there, or something someone could mod for the community maybe?

ive emailed skidmarx to see if they do one for the zxr400 (its not listed, but they might have one that fits)...cant go wrong for £20.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

RedexRobB wrote:I couldnt believe it when it came up on ebay, its practically new! Then right after that the oil cooler came up too!

Its is a worry about it getting ruined, but I got to ride thing! :pmsl May well invest in some finer mesh to protect it, well see.

Reading up on skimming brake discs to tidy up my set, and it seems its not at all advisable, so on the look out for discs too....

too fine a mesh will restrict air flow so don't go two fine and something made from stainless steel will look better.................I used to cut up fire guards to make rad protection

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksi ... &_from=R40
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

skidmarx dont do a extenda fenda for the zxr400.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Hi all,

Ive now decided to sell this bike:

viewtopic.php?f=178&t=16189