The 2nd Rebirth.

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: The 2nd Rebirth.

Post by RedexRobB »

Well, Ive actually started to do something!

Having been out on to building sites for a week as part of my job, I managed to pick up some containers we use to keep resin in for electric joints. They stack perfectly, waterproof and just about big enough to put bits of bike in.

So last weekend I decided to dig the zxr out of the gravel in the garden and get it up on the stand on the patio, have a look round and start taking bits off.

I started with the brakes as they are stopping the bike from moving. The front pads were rusted onto the front disks, and the rear caliper is so seized that the rear wheel barely turns. Front calipers, lines and master cyclinder came off fine:

however, the rear caliper did this to my allen key....

So to get that off its gonna be a case of removing the rear wheel and taking it of that way. May be able to save it if i can drill the bolts out but i may just replace the lot.

Next i stripped off some of the bodywork and took a look under the tank. I noticed as i was taking things apart, stuff like the allen bolt holes were full of water, and clearly going by the state of the motor, carbs and the throttle stop, corrosion is an issue, looks like someone has been round it with a bottle of talcum powder!. Thats what leaving a bike outside does in 3 years!

Going to try and get it started again as soon as the weather clears up a bit. Im expecting a few issues as I didn’t drain the carbs out last time of starting so could well be gummed up. In addition to that the throttle cable has become very stiff, weather that’s the throttle stop I don’t know just yet., and also the choke cable is stuck. Pleased to say though that the fuel switch wasn’t gummed up, blew through no problems at all, so just have to wait and see about the rest.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

wow that looks horrendous! gonna stop bitching about my fzr now...
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Well i cleaned the engine up with autosol when i last rebuilt it so its left a really bare surface for corrosion. May lookninto paining the engine this time.
CrazyChris
My Bike: Kawasaki ZX400G

Post by CrazyChris »

And I thought I had a lot of work to do on my ZX400G! At least I just need to put it together. Strongs to you bud. Can't wait to see the end product though
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

It will tidy up with some effort for sure. Weather is looking ok for the weekend so may well get a chance to get her started!
MrLuke
My Bike: ZXR400 L3

Post by MrLuke »

How come you left it to sit for so long Rob?
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

I bought myself a brand new Versys xmas 2009 which sat in the garden for a few months till the winter passed at which point i stopped riding the ZXR. http://www.bikepics.com/members/RobB/09versys/

The fork seals had gone on the ZXR and a few other bits were giving me issues so i just stopped using it. Then the MOT ran out and when i renewed the insurance i took the ZXR off because it was cheaper. wish i just spent the money on the ZXR but i do like my versys, its alot more suited to my 40 mile round trip commute to work too and when i go to see my family in kent, the ZXR used to give me quite a bad back and I was having problems with my shoulders too at the time, the ZXR just wasnt helping.

Im now not riding either, my partner Gemma got a job at the same place where i work and now we are taking the car instead. The Versys has a huge service due in about 600 miles time, and id rather put that off for as long as i can at the moment so lack of use at the moment suits me fine.

Looking at my original post i had intentions of getting it on the road sooner, but money hasnt been there. Its still not really but im just taking my time with it, little bit at a time.
nisi1991
My Bike: ZXR 400

Post by nisi1991 »

Shame about the bike, was a bike that i really liked.

can i ask what race seat is currently on the bike?

david
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

It will clean up nice enough when I get my hands on it proper.

It's got a genuine sp seat unit on it.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

As part of the build ive been keeping my eye open for a few bits and pieces that need replacing, one of them, the radiator! Currently looks like its made of the collections out of an ash tray, so much corrosion and damage im surprised it worked at all when it was running.

And the new radiator

A few marks on the back but for the price of £77.50 im pretty bloody happy, you very rarely find a decent 2nd hand radiator for the ZXR. A new one will set you back £514!

Next, some decent brake calipers i think :smt001
MrLuke
My Bike: ZXR400 L3

Post by MrLuke »

Ah! So that was you who bought it. Had my eye on it but I'll see how well I can clean mine up :smt003
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

haha rob, that radiator looks like mine in the maintenance thread :D
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
Leey
My Bike: Zxr400L8

Post by Leey »

Nice to see this comining back together. Still looks like you got alot of work on your hands.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Yeah lots to do for sure! Still waiting for a break in the weather to get it running though, weekend looks like it might be a good day to upset the neighbours :-)
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

RedexRobB wrote:Still waiting for a break in the weather to get it running though, weekend looks like it might be a good day to upset the neighbours :-)
Well, the weather turned up as hoped so decided to get stuck in. first thing was to get the battery out and charged. Got the charger, plugged it all in and nothing. shite, the charger had packed up :( so picked up a charger for £40 and left it on over night.

In the mean time i got the throttle cables off and gave them a treament of WD40, decided to leave them off since im stripping it. The choke cable was stuck good and proper, but this turned out to be the slider on the carbs stuck which if you look at an earlier post the carbs are in a bad way corrosion wise. Anyways, got the carbs off and loosened off the screws, I now had a fully operational choke!

Air box was also full of water, the very reason why you should take the bung out of the pipe that pops out on the left side from time to time. As it was, this water wasnt going to come out since it was the wrong side of the air box, but you see what i mean!

Gave the bike a liberal coating of WD40 to ensure no more moisture attached to the bike, and then packed up for the day.

Today (Sunday) i woke to a beautiful, sunny but cold morning, battery was fully charged, everything was prepared for starting it, all I had to do was rig the battery up, bung in some fuel and press the button, heres how it went:

I was quite surprised how well it started, it had been sat well over a year and you always expect there to be an issue getting it started but as with the last three starts over the years its started pretty much without bother. I have to say im also pretty impressed with the battery, I bought it new in 2005 and has just kept going.

It does have a revving issue, its fine up to about 4k then it bogs and stutters (as it did in video a year ago), I suspect the carbs are a little blocked so will buy a shot of Redex to stick in and hopefully clear things up a bit. I also suspect the inlet rubbers, I did the test by spraying brake cleaner round the rubbers and the revs went up, so a new set of those to purchase:

So, from here onwards im probably going to do some engine work first. This should be fairly cheap and I wont strip any more of the bike till the engine is back in and confirmed running ok, then once i know its running all good it can come back out till the frame work is done.

Engine work is to include:
-New head gasket
-New cam chain
-valve clearances
-new front and back tensioner guides
-inlet rubbers as these are now leaking (see video for the test on how to check this)
-new clutch plates as I distinctly remember there being a pulsing sensation when dragging the clutch at a stand still
-plugs, oil, filter
-might think about stick coil mod
-engine clean and possibly paint it this time
-Fit the 32mm carbs i have in the shed, these will have a service too, new float needles if reqd etc...

Lots to do and lots to spend! Watch this space for the next installment!