My first zxr 400 L complete rebuild.

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

stevezx7r
My Bike: 1992 (ish) ZXR 400.

My first zxr 400 L complete rebuild.

Post by stevezx7r »

Right, where to start.

I'd been looking for a zxr 400 for while after not having a bike for the last 6 or so years. After checking insurance costs for various cheapies (cbr6's etc) I realised that as I still had my old race gear - Kawasaki leathers, helmet, boots and gloves - my options were going to be limited to another Kawaski. To be honest I'd always liked the look of the little 400, more so than it's bigger brother which always looked a little on the heavy side. Anyway, my sights were set on the 400. I like the look of the H model more than the L with it's twin head lights but I decided an L model would be better as they were slightly newer.

So, after much hunting around I found one on the bay on a BIN for £380.

Obviously it would need work so I budgeted that in mind before clicking on the button.

On seeing the bike I almost laughed at the seller. It had the worst "respray" I have ever seen. It honestly looked like someone had held a tin of Halfords purple paint and spreyed it between the plastics and frame rails. Not only that but the fairing panels had been held on with plastic ties (for the photo's I assume). All the plastics were after market GRP jobbies and not one without sever marks of some sort. It came with a rear race seat unit which wasn't in too bad condition.

The wheels had been treated to the same Halfords own sprey job, this time grey, although the original green is showing in places. Nice.

The motor had obviously blown the head gasket as it had oil down the front, something I assumed would need sorting at it's price anyway.

The front forks wern't too bad, no leaks anyway although they too had cought some of the overspray.

It has tyres but they're mismatched - a rennsport on the front and a bt012r with a lot of life in it on the rear.

So, after a long journey, the bike arrive home.

Since then I've completely stripped the bike.

I had a look at the motor but instead of finding just a head gasket needing to be replaced I found that the inlet cam was badly worn due to the cam cap being broken - a small part was missing right on the O ring so that part of the cam missed being oiled.

After a few words with Baz (Falloffslowly on here) we agreed a price for an exchange motor.

Around the same time I bought some plastics from a lad in Gloucester so instead of having them posted to me, risking damage on the way, I decided to drive to him to collect.

That day had me and my dad in the car for 14 hours. Thanks mainly to traffic jams.

Picked the plastics up and a rad and inlet rubbers for Baz then off up to Leeds to pick up the motor.

Got another few bits for a good price too (cheers Baz).

So, what have I done to the bike?

So far i've stripped and rebuilt the front end including changing the oil in the forks - surprisingly good condition.

As i've decided to go for a polished frame and swingarm, that's the part that's taking me the most time.

I've removed the paint, wet and dryed it and I'll be polishing it all tomorrow.

The spars on both the frame and swinger are the only parts that will be mirror finished, the rest having a "brushed alloy" look to them.

The brake link arm is done already as I wanted to see what sort of result I could get.

Once the frame and swinger is finished I'll sling the front and back end on, then the motor and wiring and I'll see how it goes.

The plastics need a slight repaint - just need osme touchup paint for that I think.

The tank needs replacing still as I didn't get one with the plastics.

The exhaust headers need rubbing down and painting in high temp paint and the wheels need stripping. Not sure If I'll go polished or back to green on those...

Anyway, I'll try and take some snaps it's just that my hands are always oily when I remember so I don't want to touch my phone.

So, here's a couple of pics as the bike was. It's now in several pieces scattered around the four corners of the house. Surprising the wife hasn't said anything...yet.

I'll upload some more pics or work in progress asap.

Cheers all ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Re: My first zxr 400 L complete rebuild.

Post by Mori Man »

Epic stuff :smt001

Picked mine up for 400quid and much the same condition , plastics were original but all damaged - no engine problems though :smt004

Keep the pics coming ,

MM! :smt001
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
stevezx7r
My Bike: 1992 (ish) ZXR 400.

Re: My first zxr 400 L complete rebuild.

Post by stevezx7r »

Right, here's an update.

I've now polished the frame, swinging arm and back brake link bar. The front and back end are on and I've just finished putting the new motor in.

Still to do - my dad is painting the sub frames in silver smoothright as the original paint had been oversprayed and was flaking badly. I wirebrushed it the other day as a prep for painting. He's also taken the front plastics as they need a small repair to the inside and a touchup of paint on the outside.

I'll be brasso'ing the footrest hangers and gear linkages etc tomorrow along with having a look at the wiring.

I should be able to bang the carbs on, loosly fit the cooling system, add oil, throw some fuel in and quickly wire it up tomorrow and see if it starts biggrin

I'll take some snaps in a mo but doubt I'll get them uploaded 'till later.