zxr4/6 project

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

dazzx10r
My Bike: ZX10r race bike, ZXR400L9

zxr4/6 project

Post by dazzx10r »

I've had the L9 ZXR400 for nearly 2 yrs now ans have'nt got around to doing anything with it, but that's all about to change as I have just laid my hands on a 2006 ZX636 motor for a very good price! :smt004 the plan is ZXR636 track tool, then maybe convert it into a road bike. All that will remain of the ZXR400 will be the frame and maybe the swingarm (if I can't get this ZX10r one to fit!) I'll post up some pics this weekend if I get chance.
stevezx7r
My Bike: 1992 (ish) ZXR 400.

Re: zxr4/6 project

Post by stevezx7r »

Yikes :smt003

Keep us posted ;)
mongo

Post by mongo »

Go for it, i was always interested in the 2006 ZX6R engine to slot into the 400 frame. How do the mounting points line up? As they also have the mount points on teh top of the cylinder head. The rear mounts look a little different, the top rear mount looks wider and the bottom rear mount is off to teh right hand side.

If you can get a picture up of how the frame looks against with the engine slotted in and where the mount points line up i would be really interested in them pictures.

Good luck with the project!
dazzx10r

Post by dazzx10r »

I managed to get an hour on the bike yesterday, removed the 400 engine and had a quick measure up. Measurements are; top mounts on cyl head 7mm wider on 636, this is not a problem as I can afford to remove this from the frame. Rear mounts will need cutting off and repositioning, again not a major problem as I have a freind who can tig it all back together. I'll do my best to get some pics later today.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

what about the positioning of the front and rear sprockets in relation to each other?
mongo

Post by mongo »

dazzx10r wrote:I managed to get an hour on the bike yesterday, removed the 400 engine and had a quick measure up. Measurements are; top mounts on cyl head 7mm wider on 636, this is not a problem as I can afford to remove this from the frame. Rear mounts will need cutting off and repositioning, again not a major problem as I have a freind who can tig it all back together. I'll do my best to get some pics later today.

Thats awesome thanks Daz, at 7mm a little bit of shimming and a wee bit of strengthening on the mounts should be fine since the moutns are not moving, i would imagine this will keep the frame rigid enough to support the extra horsepower.

Even at 7mm, there hsould be enough space to get the rocker up into the frame as well, may require a wee file here and there.

Im tempted to do another 7 year project again with a 636 engine now ;) in another frame i have.

Get some pictures up, always good to see pictures! Did you get a complete zx6r or just an engine?
dazzx10r

Post by dazzx10r »

RedexRobB wrote:what about the positioning of the front and rear sprockets in relation to each other?
This was the first thing on my mind when I came to mock the engine up into the frame, by taking 7mm from the right hand top engine mount I was able to maintain the original chain run, It is really suprising how compact the 636 motor is, and infact the dimensions are'nt that much bigger than the 400's.
dazzx10r

Post by dazzx10r »

mongo wrote:
dazzx10r wrote:I managed to get an hour on the bike yesterday, removed the 400 engine and had a quick measure up. Measurements are; top mounts on cyl head 7mm wider on 636, this is not a problem as I can afford to remove this from the frame. Rear mounts will need cutting off and repositioning, again not a major problem as I have a freind who can tig it all back together. I'll do my best to get some pics later today.

Thats awesome thanks Daz, at 7mm a little bit of shimming and a wee bit of strengthening on the mounts should be fine since the moutns are not moving, i would imagine this will keep the frame rigid enough to support the extra horsepower.

Even at 7mm, there hsould be enough space to get the rocker up into the frame as well, may require a wee file here and there.

Im tempted to do another 7 year project again with a 636 engine now ;) in another frame i have.

Get some pictures up, always good to see pictures! Did you get a complete zx6r or just an engine?
I managed to drop on a 636 motor on ebay with a snapped sparkplug stuck in the head, I only paid £130 for it! when I got the motor home I simply used a stud extractor mounted in a home made extension tool and removed the broken piece of sparkplug!
Don't get too excited, the motor does'nt simply drop straight into the frame! The top R/H mount picks up off the head once you remove the offending 7mm, but the top L/H mount is not in line as they are on the 400, so the mount needs cutting off and moving back 20mm (away from the headstock), then onto the rear mounts. To get the engine into it's correct position in the frame, the original top rear mounts need cutting off as they do not line up with the mounting holes on the motor. With them out of the way I was able to get the motor into it's correct position with the sump joint level when the bike is sat on it's wheels. I have purchased some 30 x 10mm aluminium flat bar to make up new mounts. The lower rear mounts will also require cutting off and re-fabricating from the 30 x 10mm bar.
Sorry I hav'nt got any photo's as yet, but I seem to have misplaced my camera (after a very drunken bbq party the other week! :smt003 ) As soon as I can find it i'll get a few photo's.
I'm hoping to have the mounts fabricated and welded up early next week and the engine back in, I will then put the rear wheel in and double check the chain alignment, before stripping it all for painting. I'm also toying with the idea of fitting a 04/05 ZX10r swingarm that I have, it's 30mm longer than the 400 one, but it's also a hell of a lot lighter! :smt004
dazzx10r

Post by dazzx10r »

Well I've managed to get all of the engine mounts made up, I'll hopefully get them wellded up tomorrow. Managed to get hold of a full loom for the princely sum of £35! just bought a set of throttle bodies complete with airbox and a set of titanium zx636 B1H headers, so things are moving on now. I'v found a set of ZX636 radial forks and wheels, but I've got to keep an eye on my spending before her indoors goes off on one! :smt003 I don't need them just yet so maybe in a couple of weeks :smt002. I've found my camera so I can upload a few pics now, I'll do my best to keep you all updated on my build. :smt004

dazzx10r

Post by dazzx10r »

some more pics!

mongo

Post by mongo »

Fantastic work dazz,

Looks like the motor will be quite nicely lined up, will be worth lineing up the fairing panels to see if you are goign to have to tweak em a bit etc to get the fairings back on.

Check out my build thread, for the ZX6R front end, its just a case of getting spacers made up for the front wheel and a spacer for in the forks spindle hole if you want to retain the zxr front wheel. I didnt bother trying to machine it to keep the speedo drive and just dropped that out.
dazzx10r

Post by dazzx10r »

Got all of the mounts welded up today, all of the welding was done by a friend who makes Kitcars for a living and is top notch. We welded the mounts up with the engine set up in the frame, once all of the mounts were tacked in place we removed the engine and then finished welding them up, doing it this way ensured that the engine was in the right place and that it fitted the mounts correctly. As soon as I got the frame back home I rubbed it down and gave it a couple of coats of etch primer followed by 3 coats of of satin black paint. I then decided to start building it up, starting with fitting the motor, then the swingarm and for now the std forks, although these won't be staying for long as I'll be replacing these with zx6r B1H or C1H forks with radial brakes and Brembo race discs. Well at this rate the bike will be going around Cadwell Park in a couple of weeks time!

ZX4R-F3
My Bike: 1988 ZX400-F3

Post by ZX4R-F3 »

Looking superb Daz,
Has given me an idea for my spare H frame.
Andy
[b][color=#FF0000]If your not living on the edge, then your taking up to much room.[/color][/b]
dazzx10r

Post by dazzx10r »

A bit more going on today, I've started fitting the loom, put the chain and sprockets on to double check the line up, evrything looks ok, however I have found that the engine is sat 6mm lower meaning that the chain runs along the chain guide, I could make an easy remedy by fitting a bigger front sprocket, but this might screw my gearing up ( it's predominantly a track bike). So I may have to address this later. I have taken the shock out to paint the spring, I'll shot blast it at work and give it a couple of coats of hammerite smooth. I also fitted the headers as they have just been delivered, I used B1h headers as the C1h headers are designed for under seat exhaust, they still fit exactly the same to the motor as the B1h and C1h engines are very similar in design. I managed to get hold of a complete lock set today with the coded keys (KISS - kawasaki imobilizer security system) If anyone out there is thinking of doing the same project, then if I was to do it again I would look at using a B1h engine and loom as they don't use the imobilizer key system and that will save you around £300! So here's a few more pics of progress so far.....

Brake master cylinder is GSXR1000k7, off my old superstock race bike, if it's good enough to stop 178bhp superstock bike then it should stop this! :smt003
Last edited by dazzx10r on Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mark400
My Bike: Building an original SP

Post by mark400 »

Congratulations on this tremendous project ! I am really looking forward to seeing the next steps......
NG Road Racing Champion 2012 400SS