Project L5!

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

GoldenBalls213
My Bike: ZXR 400

Project L5!

Post by GoldenBalls213 »

Hi all.. incase you havent read any of my earlier posts heres a quick update..

Bought this l5 with 31000miles on the clock as a non runner the previous owner thought the piston rings gave up when the engine spurted loads of smoke out the exhaust!

Couldnt get it running again and hardly any oil in the engine..

So engine out jobby :smt010

Took all the fairings off this morning, removed and drained the fuel tank, was going to leave for today but had a couple of spair hours this evening! :excited

So drained the remainder of the oil prob about 1 litre if that.. shocking

Drained and removed the radiator.

Removed the header pipes.LOL
Something tells me i will be needing some new pipes.. :smt009

Next up i removed the carbs, I noticed some small metal filings and a couple of chunks sitting in the carb rubbers :smt017

Oh hell! Looks to be only the two broken inlet valve, all the others seem ok, took the rocker cover off and couldnt see any other damage so put that back on for now!

Was planning on removing the engine this weekend but i will have to wait till i get a paddock stand, so i can remove the chain..

I will keep this thread updated but may take me some time to progress due to work comitments!

Any ideas or input on the damage is most welcome!

Thanks!
GoldenBalls213
Leey
My Bike: Zxr400L8

Re: Project L5!

Post by Leey »

Thats not a nice sight to see in the carbs, good luck with the rebuild.
GoldenBalls213

Post by GoldenBalls213 »

I was expecting the worse anyhow!

Whats the most viable option i got? can new valves be sourced? and if so how much?

or is it it worth me overhauling a secondhand engine using the best of both engines? as i could find more damage when i strip the engine down!

Thanks!
GoldenBalls213
dazzx10r
My Bike: ZX10r race bike, ZXR400L9

Post by dazzx10r »

Nice looking bike, love the exhaust! I have a full std system in the loft of my garage, it is a bit rusty but not any where near as bad as yours! I am also in the middle of a zx636 conversion on my 400, so I also have soon to go on Ebay a full complete L9 engine with carbs coils and new plugs! I also have a full stainless Micron system. If you are interested in any of the parts then send me a message.
GoldenBalls213

Post by GoldenBalls213 »

Cheers dazzx10r!

Pm sent!
GoldenBalls213

Post by GoldenBalls213 »

Hey all..

Just a quick update..

Managed to pick up a rear paddock stand from demontweeks this morning so thought may aswell crack on with it this afternoon! :smt003

Having never worked on a bike before i thought i might stuggle a little but it all went as planned :smt003. I followed member hciR's guide on this site on how to remove the engine! Spot on cheers for that!

So engine out! not sure how long it took me prob about 2 hrs something like that. :smt005
I did leave the clutch cable connected by mistake, only noticed when i dropped the engine and tried to pull it away :smt012

Oil cooler prob seen better days!

Was going to start stripping it down but the wife insisted i did some house work instead..Grrr! so popped it in the shed till tomorrow! Bloody heavy little bugger aswell!

Thanks!
GoldenBalls213
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

" Think the piston rings are gone "

I will need to mind that translates to " It's dropped valves and fooked " :smt005

Still, the bike looks in good enough order , avoid fittiing OEM system as much as possible - they weigh a freakin tonne and do nothing to help power.

Keep the motor and repair it as a project - by the time you need to service the replacement you wiull be up to speed on how to do that :smt001

ZX-4 , ZXR00H , ZXR400L and the SP models heads all fit - just mind and get the cam cradles with it. Xanthius should also be OK to use too, chances are your dropped valves have damaged the head especially with the bike being fired up several times since. If the valve stems snapped you might be lucky with minimul damage but if nugget wringed it's neck you could have a bent conrod or damaged piston crown too. Oil is pouring in from some where , dificult through the valve stem seals in huge amounts but a hole in the piston would account for it.

These are strong motors if kept serviced - mines sees the rev limiter every time I am out on it :smt003

My only demon is the BTL clutch - have now burnt two out shocking So going to go and put a H1 unit in instead. Got 4 BTL clutch units and all have blued steels in them , the 4 standard clutches are in perfect condition - better start practicing not jumping down gears before I do the swap :smt005

MM!
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
GoldenBalls213

Post by GoldenBalls213 »

Hi all..

Quick update!

Finally managed to get the head off this afternoon .. :smt010

No pics of the process, Only the aftermath!..
Holy cow!

Not just the 2 valves as first thought!

Got a bit disheartend after seeing that so called it a day! vsad

Read somewhere that i should rap the camshafts up in clingfilm covered in WD40, is that the right thing to do?

Also when taking the head bolts out i noticed two of them are longer than the others is this correct? The two closest to the chain on the exhaust side!

Any imput is most welcome!

Thanks!
GoldenBalls213
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

So just a slight hole in the piston as I thought shocking

The cylinder beside it looks to have been overheating too unless its badly coked up. The missing parts are most likely in you sump, don't trurn the motor over but lean to one side enough to allow removal of the sump pan bolts & do for each side - that way you hopefully wont dislodge the fragements. You want to strip the engine as far down as it goes before you seperate the crankcases , then once inspected for debris , split the cases and look about in there too.

Yup, good idea to wrap the cams up but light engineering oil would be better.

Looks like the head is goosed - are the valve seats damaged ?

Good on ya for not hanging about BTW

If you have no luck sourcing a top end I can send you one out by seamail to keep costs down but its a 10~12 week delivery on it. Think EcoAir would be scarey money to send by. I do have a sea cargo shipment leaving soon and a top end or complete engine could go in with that - it is destined for Liverpool and takes about 4 weeks once it leaves dock.

MM! :smt001
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
GoldenBalls213

Post by GoldenBalls213 »

Cheers for all the imput Mori Man!

I managed to source an engine with around 18000 miles on it, going to pick it it up on sunday, Going to use fecked one for spairs!

See whats what with the engine, maybe check the valve clearances, change the cam chain, new plugs and oil and go from there basically!

Just finished stripping and cleaning the carbs, they were pretty gunked up on the outside! Found a couple of small peices of metal in them! drained and cleaned the bowls, werent to dirty really just small coating of redish coulored stuff in them..

Thanks
GoldenBalls213