Review: Chinese CNC Billet levers

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Review: Chinese CNC Billet levers

Post by Mori Man »

As China keeps developing we are going to be faced with ever increasing amount of parts made there or teritories there of.

Recently there has been a flood of billet parts so my curiosity finally got the better of me and I purchased a set confuddled

Adjustable length levers and flip up too , cost was 2,580 Yen + delivery ( about 21GBP all in) so not the end of the world if they turned out to be crap !

Arrived today so set about getting them fitted up. First impression , CNC milling is very nice and some good design features and nice milling touches. Anodizing is pretty good , nice strong colour , fairly even colour across the part but patchy in places.

Very lightweight but don't feel flimsy :smt001 overall very attractive :smt007

Fitting,

Started with the clutch , straight out the packet I noticed they didn't have Bronze inserts for the pivot points :smt009 So already knew their lifespan would be short but at the money I paid hardly a heartbreak every few years swapping them out.

Once original lever was off I realised that the new levers pivot hole was larger :smt017 A quick tap on the bush in original and it pops out and fits right on in :smt004 Doesn't stay in on its own like the original but at least it fits ! So got it bolted on:
img_3017b.jpg
img_3030g.jpg
img_3031h.jpg
img_3034k.jpg
Span adjuster is very easy to use , flip up works on a spring loaded ballbearing that tracts in a machined groove , cable in fitted in no problem and sidestand cut out works too.

On with the brake lever , again no bush but looking at the hole , original it's not machined to take it - you could drill out yourself to fit the original but I left as is, unlike the clutch the pivot isn't under anywhere near the same strain. Unlike the original it interferred with the high throttle so that had to be repositioned , not my favourite place for it to be now but still functions:
img_3020e.jpg
img_3036m.jpg
img_3035l.jpg
Overall rather pleased with them and the bling factor is great :smt004 However a few things I would point out:

Unlike originals or quality made ones there is a lot of free play in these ie: They rattle about in the holder , the flip ups have play so when you pulling in the clutch it partially lifts - havent done a road report on them yet but hopefully they wont be rattling about like fook - if that is the case I will shim them up with some nylon washers.
The lock nuts underneath are some mental size either imperial or 7.5mm and come with a bit of slack in them , not enough showing to get pliers onto them either so over the next few days I am going to see how to remedy but believe the reason they have play is cause the makers couldn't tighten them up anymore using a socket or spanner, so a bit of bad design there - the originals either slot into a hex hole or there is a shoulder that locks one of the flats.

But, these are not 90 GBP Brand name goods they cost me 20 sobs so for that dosh I can live with the faults , now seeing them I would certainly willingly go 35ish on them maybe a wee bit more but certainly not above 40 quid. They are made in China after all and the labour will have been 1$ on them so it's only material after that your paying for.

I wouldn't be upset getting another set for the next couple of builds :smt002
img_3038o.jpg
img_3039p.jpg

MM!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister

Re: Review: Chinese CNC Billet levers

Post by Mori Man »

Out using them today and all is well, they feel very nice - having them set at #2 seems perfect for me and has given the clutch a right nice biting point.

Top Tip: If you do get a set of these tighten up the fixings, it eliminates a lot of slack.

Utterly inialated a Z750 (ZII) today , kitted out with BEET casings and zorst with CR special carbs, I will assume it was box standard bore.

Fella wouldn't speak to me when we stopped up, I guess busting his baws twice from the lights (giving him the initial start) didn't sit too well :smt003

First time I let him get into 3rd before I wound it up, next set only first :smt003

Bikes going great guns, expect some new vid footage soon - I bought a new toy at the weekend :smt002

MM!
666damned
My Bike: ZXR400 L1

Post by 666damned »

excellent write up MM....been looking at getting some for mine..but there seems to be a big choice out there...were yours purchased from flea bay?.....looking forward to some video footage......
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

i had a set on my TLR bloody lovely quality they were, will definitely get a set for the 10r 1 day, only snag i would mention is the anodising fades pretty quick, but then you can polish em :-)
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister

Post by Mori Man »

666damned wrote:excellent write up MM....been looking at getting some for mine..but there seems to be a big choice out there...were yours purchased from flea bay?.....looking forward to some video footage......
Got them off Yahoo, think they all come out of the same factory though and design changed to suppliers spec as they have a lot of commonalities between them.

Still liking them , I coat everything bar the levers with silicone spray to help stop them fading.

MM!
R P Corse
CBT slow
CBT slow
My Bike: ZXR400 H1

Post by R P Corse »

nice review Drew, i can't fault the quality either, i've found them fantastic and the brake lever saved me yesterday - old 1 was knackered and a car pulled out on me, front end locked up - didn't drop the bike or crashed, tbh i was more impressed with the lever not braking from the grab... The bloke in his scooby shat himself after my evil stare and overall size compared to him though lol

I found my levers a straight swap - albeit i don't have the ones you have but i imagine they come from the same place? The only fault i did find was the lever being 1mm thicker than the standard lever, had to sand down the bracket and give it a good clean up, definitly impressed and best £30 i've spent on bling on all my bikes!