L2 resto - first time for everything

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

stonemonkey
My Bike: Zxr400 L2

Re: L2 resto - first time for everything

Post by stonemonkey »

Right been really lazy with taking pictures but managed to make some good progress. Engine is in, all wired up, cooling system is in and blead, as are the brakes. Got to. Point where I could start it and nothing... Turned over like a trooper however no spark and began doubting if the stick coils were working. So I banged a brand new Bosch battery in as the other had sat in the garage over winter and did not want to hold charge and also x4 new spark plugs in and vroom started first time. Revs ran round to 8k sat there then dropped to 2.5k where it either revved or cut out upon throttle. Sounds like an air leak so took the carbs and inlet rubbers off, sealed the rubbers to the head and put the carbs back, also made a new silicone gasket that sits inthe well between the carbs and air box. Currently waiting for this to set before I can bolts her back together for run no.2. Will nee the carbs balancing as I have no gauges and will probably have a power run on the dyne at the same time.

Here's how she stands now, just lots of smaller jobs left to do like sort out the chain slack, sort carbs, indicators etc.... But they all add up :)

Danman109
My Bike: ZXR 400 L9 2001

Post by Danman109 »

Wow looking good!

I've yet to fit my stick coils, but I like the green hoses :) goes well on your bike she's looking really smart!!

Congrats!
ZXR 400 L9 race bike
ZXR 400 L2 Hopkins GP replica.
stonemonkey

Post by stonemonkey »

Managed to get it nearly finished. Should be going in for the MOT this week. Got it running with no major problems, just a few headscratchers..

Just need to clean the side fairings up best I can, although theyre not in great shape but id rather get the bike on the road and get them sorted over next winter.
More pics to follow
Cimanu
My Bike: Honda RVF400

Post by Cimanu »

Looks brilliant good job ^^ Everything except the screen... but that's just my hate for double bubble. Glad you kept the original colours!
stonemonkey

Post by stonemonkey »

Im glad i kept the original colours too, mainly due to a lack of funds, but may get them resprayed the original colours over winter. Passed her MOT today, just a few bits left to fettle then we are all good.
trebor
My Bike: ZXR 400 L1

Post by trebor »

Enjoyed reading/seeing this one resurrected. You mentioned earlier that you were planning to make up some blanking plates for the oil cooler and remove it, but looks like it's reappeared in the later pics. Did it clean up ok in the end or is the cooler an absolute necessity? Bike looking really good - have fun riding. :smt003
stonemonkey

Post by stonemonkey »

The original plan was to remove it but I managed to clean the original one up. Since riding the bike it sprung a small leak in the cooler - re-enforcing my views to remove it in the first place however I have just sourced a good condition one second hand. After reading through pages and pages of differing views on the web I decided to stick with the oil cooler as although the bike is for fast road use My journeys will often encounter slow/standing traffic. I have a spare sump pan and am thinking of creating the blanking plate for it just as something to do... thanks for the comments
stonemonkey

Post by stonemonkey »

Got out for a good ride yesterday with a friend :excited

rambo
My Bike: zxr 400

Post by rambo »

Great build. Given me the kick up the ars I need to start mine tbh