Moto GP rep rebuild and restore,

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

Danman109
My Bike: ZXR 400 L9 2001

Re: Moto GP rep rebuild and restore,

Post by Danman109 »

mongo wrote:Take the cylinder head off the l9 engine and get it pressure tested.

Looks like from the picture, that it may just be the exhaust headers that have bent and cracked the metala/alloy around the headers, which stick out from the head. A bit of alloy weld then smoothing it back off if oyu sitll wnated to use the l9 engine...
Yeah i considered how bad the cracks were but i dont think i wouldnt feel happy with it. Iv sourced another complete L9 head probably for similar money to getting the current one welded (i cant weld myself)

The other advantage being I have a complete top end to use as spares should i need it.

no way im gonna bin that engine :smt002 its got low milage and previously had 62.4 break with an exhaust on it, i was always keen to see how far it would go!
ZXR 400 L9 race bike
ZXR 400 L2 Hopkins GP replica.
stonemonkey
My Bike: Zxr400 L2

Post by stonemonkey »

Sorry about the bad news with the head :smt011

But good progress elsewhere
Danman109

Post by Danman109 »

stonemonkey wrote:Sorry about the bad news with the head :smt011

But good progress elsewhere
Thanks matey :)

What paint have you used to spray up the brackets in your resto? thinking about either spraying mine or getting them powder coated.. not sure yet
ZXR 400 L9 race bike
stonemonkey

Post by stonemonkey »

For the majority of the small brackets I used black enamel in a can. Great glossy finish, goes direct to rust. If using on bare metal make sure you key the surface well or apply a thin primer. Anything large I got powdercoated including all te rear brake arm and caliper holder etc.
Danman109

Post by Danman109 »

So progress has been slow recently due to the freezing temperatures making working on the bike difficult when your fingers are numb!

Last weekend the engine was re-built however the obligatory small pin was discovered on the side just as the last bolt was torqued up :smt013

note: above the camshaft one pin is missing..

so it was all opened up again to put the pin back! So this weekend im at the point i thought i was at LAST weekend!!

next on the TO DO list:

1) degrease and paint the rad (once the hose outside isnt frozen solid!probably do a rad flush too)
2) clean up the engine and frame
3) engine back in, new silicone hoses,
4) fire her up again!
ZXR 400 L9 race bike
Danman109

Post by Danman109 »

Zx6 shock ready for reconditioning and putting on the track bike :excited

ZXR 400 L9 race bike
Danman109

Post by Danman109 »

Lighweight disk arrived today too :excited

ZXR 400 L9 race bike
Danman109

Post by Danman109 »

Moto gp engine is all shimmed up, rebuilt and ready to go back in the frame!! biggrin

let the re-building commence!
ZXR 400 L9 race bike
Danman109

Post by Danman109 »

Ok...

So last night i spent aaages cleaning the engine with de-grease, I then moved on to the radiator but i have no idea how to attempt to clean out 18 years of mud from between the fins.. the radiator is effectively 'blocked' by a triangle of mud and grit from central bottom to the top of the radiator..

any ideas?
ZXR 400 L9 race bike
gargarzxr
My Bike: 92 zxr400

Post by gargarzxr »

i useed compressed air and blew the muck and stones out. worked ok but alot off the fins are damaged on mine
Danman109

Post by Danman109 »

gargarzxr wrote:worked ok but alot off the fins are damaged on mine
was that as a result of the compressed air? for 18 years old the fins are in very good condition (apart from the mud, sand, grit etc) so im keen not to damage it. I've had people suggest soak it overnight and then light pressure washing but again worried about bending them
ZXR 400 L9 race bike
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Id take the soaking overnight method too. I think to properly clean them your meant to use steam from the back of the radiator, so one of those steam cleaners off one of them shopping channels should do it perhaps?

Otherwise, its a painstaking removal gap by gap.
Danman109

Post by Danman109 »

we have a winner!

A £1.99 spray mist bottle on jet mode, a well exercised hand :wanker and about 2 hours later... 18 years of mud, bugs, grit and god knows what else is now all over my face... but the radiator looks pretty darn good :smt005

now then... to paint the radiator or not to paint the radiator?

any chance of it holding more heat if its painted? im not all that fussed about painting it, its just one of those things that'd look nice ya know?
ZXR 400 L9 race bike
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

I guess black would be ok? Heat sinks are painted black to help radiate heat better in electronics but weather that the same for radiators i dont know. Youll need a decent primer to paint it, but it was never painted at the factory maybe not worth it?
stonemonkey

Post by stonemonkey »

Ive just painted mine with hammerite silver spray paint. Seems to have stuck well and looks great, If your debating whether to or not because of heat issues It has to be better than all the crap it was covered in. And you could always just paint the sides and grille leaving the fins bare.