Moto GP rep rebuild and restore,

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

Danman109
My Bike: ZXR 400 L9 2001

Re: Moto GP rep rebuild and restore,

Post by Danman109 »

hmm Mongo sprayed his up and it looks b.e.a-utiful i'l have to message him to see how he's getting on with it I cant imagine its made much difference.

I think for now i'l spray the rad guard and the sides up in silver and see how it looks.. :smt004

Im having difficulty degreasing the engine without a hose too! I have no hose at my garage so its a bit of a challenge removing the 18 years worth of chain lube from around the drive shaft! iv already given up on the idea of painting the engine, im just going to give it a clean so i dont get so grubby when tinkering.

I'v opted instead for the stick coil mod, and a digi temp/volt gauge.. getting impatient to put it all back together now that things are warming up.

got a quote for two wheels powder coated - £60 per wheel +VAT shocking *cough splutter splutter* errrm... maybe not..
ZXR 400 L9 race bike
ZXR 400 L2 Hopkins GP replica.
Danman109

Post by Danman109 »

stonemonkey wrote:Ive just painted mine with hammerite silver spray paint. Seems to have stuck well and looks great, If your debating whether to or not because of heat issues It has to be better than all the crap it was covered in. And you could always just paint the sides and grille leaving the fins bare.

Lets have some pics :smt003 how badly was your's blocked with grit etc?
ZXR 400 L9 race bike
stonemonkey
My Bike: Zxr400 L2

Post by stonemonkey »

Sounds good, Ill get some pics up when i can find my camera... vsad . Just wired up my stick coils and need to wire in the voltmeter. I was going to paint the engine but opted for a good clean, wire brush and lacquer over the bear metal. The garage im in has no water supply either so it was all done with brushes, towels and loads of engine degreaser. I was high as a kite after a cleaning session :smt005 . my rad and engine were horrendously filthy. Rad was okay but didnt clean completely.
Danman109

Post by Danman109 »

WOW...

So i took a long weekend off work.. and after 3 days solidly working on the bike here is the progress!

Rear disk going on!

Mean while i thought i'd give the chassis a clean.. i mean seriously, i reckon some parts of this bike havnt been cleaned in 18 years! the goo was coming off in lumps! yuck!

This is how the rear disk looks all assembled:

The engine is all back in :excited with my cleaned and re-painted radiator! (the oil cooler will be removed in due course)

A mock up with the Akro.. its a bit long! i'l take about 100mm off the downpipe end (about where the hanger currently points to)... oh and the rear brake reservoir eliminator.. i've heard horror stories but hey.. lets see..

I was SO suprised that it coughed into life so readily! it needed no carb adjustments or anything.. the main jets had got a little blocked but a few revs (once it was warmed up ofcourse) cleared it all out and now she runs sweet as a nut! idle at 1.5 with no needle waving what so ever! the scorpion downpipes are awful! I will swap them as soon as possible as no.3 is leaking..

All in all very happy with the progress, just a few things left to do and she'l be back on the road :excited
Last edited by Danman109 on Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZXR 400 L9 race bike
MillaMeter
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: K ZXR400 L2, H Rebel 125

Post by MillaMeter »

And just remember who's helping you with all this hard work ;)
MillaMeter's ZXR400 Restoration Click HERE!
ZXR400s 4eva! I miss mine already :(
Danman109

Post by Danman109 »

goodpost LOVE YOU MILLAMETER mexwave :smt023 utheman
ZXR 400 L9 race bike
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

MillaMeter wrote:And just remember who's helping you with all this hard work ;)
Havent seen you for ages! Well in that case your in good hands Danman!
Fisher
My Bike: ZXR 400 L4

Post by Fisher »

Hold up... is that L9 the bike that Extreme609 had?
MillaMeter
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: K ZXR400 L2, H Rebel 125

Post by MillaMeter »

Fisher wrote:Hold up... is that L9 the bike that Extreme609 had?
Indeedy do it is.
RedexRobB wrote:
I've been busy with work and money problems but I'm slowly but surely getting there.

Me and Dan have been busy aswell getting his bikes the way he needs them. I sold my baby 400 a few weeks back...really gutted, it actually drew a tear to my eye. Had that bike 4 1/2 years, put my own blood, sweat and tears into building her. But she wasn't getting used to I sold her on to a new home.

Got another project going with my 636 soon this year (if I can find a 2005 upwards front wheel hint hint anybody on here :smt004 )

Hope everyone is well, still got a fair few parts to still get rid of aswell...
MillaMeter's ZXR400 Restoration Click HERE!
ZXR400s 4eva! I miss mine already :(
Danman109

Post by Danman109 »

Yep.. damn shame that it ended up that way... bloody cagers :smt013 :(

but when it returns it'll be better than ever.. I cant say my wallet will be but hey.. its work in progress at the moment.
ZXR 400 L9 race bike
Fisher
My Bike: ZXR 400 L4

Post by Fisher »

Aaaah small world!
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

MillaMeter wrote:
Indeedy do it is.
RedexRobB wrote:
I sold my baby 400 a few weeks back...really gutted, it actually drew a tear to my eye. Had that bike 4 1/2 years, put my own blood, sweat and tears into building her. But she wasn't getting used to I sold her on to a new home.

shocking noooooo!
Danman109

Post by Danman109 »

All finished :-D

Test ridden in the sun this weekend and nothing big to report.. just a few things to iron out now:

To Do:
Carb balancing/dyno set up (flat spots are noticeable and its wayyy over fueled right now)
new pads front + rear (old ones were cheapo no name pads and i have the new rear disk which needs new pads to suit)
new downpipes (what ever system is on at the moment leaks at the headers and makes it sound like a V-twin)
samco hoses (for looks and to get rid of the old hoses that are showing their age)
new tyres (currently have non matching tyres that came on the bike, im after dunlop Q2's)
short levers (i only use two fingers on both clutch and brakes + looks)
single seat unit (looks + i dont take pillions.. messes up the handling!)
new rear sets (better riding position + looks)
new chain + sprockets (currents are rusty and knackered - want to play with gearing too ;) )
swap out rear shock (shock behaves weird - you can lift up the back of the bike and it sits up and doesnt return to original position.. Gas?

not much then.. :P ultimately a translogic dash.. just as the cherry on top.. i think it would finish the bike off nicely :)
Last edited by Danman109 on Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZXR 400 L9 race bike
Danman109

Post by Danman109 »

Spotted this today.. one of the rings on the right hand disc is deformed it's no longer round and also no longer flat :( any ideas what's caused it? ...is it dangerous? it handles fine.. the disc feels ever so slightly warped but nothing major. Any advice/info would be good!

ZXR 400 L9 race bike
spacebar27
My Bike: zxr400l-sp-M2

Post by spacebar27 »

maybe from when someone had a disc lock on and tried to drive off. Probably worth while replacing.