Build a Bike from a box

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Build a Bike from a box

Post by Mori Man »

Well, I treated myself for chrimbo , I've got another ZXR :smt003

One hour yesterday in our local DVLA and it's MOTd , Taxed , insured & new reg' plate :smt004 Also now in my name - so it's ready rock........

Well not exactly, I bought a frame that was still registered so the seller sent me the paperwork and licence plate to get transfered then the frame arrives tomorrow.

Pretty sure I have everything to build it from the ground up hence the title of this thread , there's going to be a heap of boxes being opened and raided.

Seeing as it has already got it's legals I am giving myself a month to get this one up and running - it's going to be for sale so wont be getting the trick stuff on it.

Standard carbs with airbox , RPM 4-2-1 system , an H1 swingarm as have oodles of those , H2 forks , Green/White n Blue two seater bodywork & OEM rearsets.

Engine is a tricky one though - I think I have a standard H or L on veranda that needs worked on. From memory the output shaft isn't engaging so might have a dodgy gearbox in it. Got no room to be stripping an engine down to it's essentials so I really just want a top end overhaul candidate. The J1 & J2 motors seem to have no prob's with them so with their age and sitting so long will do a head gasket change with valve stem seals - got the kits in the cupboard but I don't want to sell the SP motors :smt017

Alternative is to shove the SP motor in my current bike and then use the H2 engine in this one but that motor is rock solid so again a bit hesitant to sell it on too :smt005 , there is however a ZX-4 bottom end that I got the BEET 440 top end off , so maybe some surgery with the gearbox engine might happen :smt003

So this weekend I will make a start as the motor is going to be needed pronto , forks are also needing new seals into them but want to swap the springs with the ones in my other J2 set :smt005

It will have a J2 SP rear shock though as I have no alternatives unless I snatch a bargain soonish

So , although 1 month sounds plenty it's only 8 days of weekends and what I can squeeze in through the week.

Should be good :smt002
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister

Re: Build a Bike from a box

Post by Mori Man »

Just before the sun set I got out on the veranda for an hour and washed the frame down.

Apart from some flakey paint here and there , slight surface corrosion in nooks and crannies it is undamaged :smt004

All my other H frames have dings , dents or missing bits from crashes so the plan has changed :pmsl

Now my current bike will be getting dismantled and re-built with the parts destined for this one, that will allow it to be built quicker and will also have longer MOT,tax & insurance on it attracting potential buyers :smt001

With the SP arriving I will store the parts I remove meantime and start on the renovation/modification work I had planned all along so my J2 will rise from the ashes once again :smt003

Still plenty to see here as I transform the bike, knowing the engine is good I will leave it in the frame that way come start up time and something is a miss I can eliminate it from the potential cause. I have plenty motors kicking about none which can't be made good so might as well give the new owner a solid motor to start with :smt001
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister

Post by Mori Man »

Found another frame with two subframes up the back of the storeroom today - totally forgot about them oldman

Which is a bonus as I bought a J1 SP tail unit last night along with a twoseater set up with the OEM cover on the rear pad :smt004

So "Black " bike is a bit closer to happening too - SP tail is matt Black , A tank is Black , Seat cowls Black and pretty sure I have Black side cowls too :smt017 Should look good with the Over racing or PSK system on it, which I also found today :smt005

Who knows what else I will un-earth as the storerooms clear up, expect a wheen of classifieds coming up soon as I have the bull by the horns and want the builds done and all the extras gone.
stonemonkey
My Bike: Zxr400 L2

Post by stonemonkey »

Where the hell do you get hold of so many parts? A maze of storerooms filled with hidden gems.... :smt017