Build Another Bike from a Box

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Build Another Bike from a Box

Post by Mori Man »

shocking

Yup, not content to build one bike up I want to build a 2nd along side it confuddled

I am going to be going through all my inventory so I might as well pull the parts I need for this one, it can go longer than a month as the legals still need to be done it. No MOT so will need transported down to the DVLA office when done.

It's also not a ZXR or a Kawasaki shocking

Again pretty sure I have eveything here to build it up - better get a workshop manual for this one :smt005

I managed to buy the one thing it was missing on x-mas day :smt004 So here's the give away:
600x450-2011102400015.jpg
If you think I have a lot of engines for the ZXR you want to see how many I have for this :pmsl I also have a set of clocks with zero KMs on them - should have a photo about

I've got the speedo in it's box somwhere.

This will be the 1st liqued cooled smoker I have ever had and it's been some 27yrs since my last one and I used to blow that one up regular vsad

What it might look like when done cgeek
7d72.jpg
PS: That's a 250
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: Build Another Bike from a Box

Post by cargo »

An RG interesting...............

I will be riding a RGV again next year at the Manx GP

cant beat a good stink wheel
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister

Post by Mori Man »

So the body panel set has arrived.
img_5609011.jpg
img_5604006.jpg
The phrase " you get what you pay for " is very much applicable here - not that it is terrible but for what I payed it's good value.

I am sure some of you have heard the horror stories of folks using or trying to use Chinese copy panels well so far so good with these as I bolted up the bellypan using an OEM kit, some adjustment to the holes were made with a round file and it went together fine :smt004
img_5671010.jpg
img_5674012.jpg
Tail unit might be another story , need to wait until it's on the frame to see what'S happening but think the seat is going to have issues.
img_5647006.jpg
Joining the bellypan to the mid cowl showed no problems and a very reasonable tight fit :smt004
img_5680018.jpg
I'll not bore you with the photos so,

My overall impression is:

Moulds made from wood and likely hand carved , resulting ABS pressing is lowish quality with ripples and some errors.

Preperation work - piss poor ! Oodles of dust & blobs caught in the paint. Faults in the ABS not filled , panels sand sanded flat.

Graphics, fair to middling. For the most part accurate but wrong colour choice & wrong graphic on that colour scheme with some squint lettering let it down

Actual paint finish - FANTASTIC! Better than alot of UK painters I have seen charging double what I paid for this complete kit ! I would have the painter of this kit spray my bike in a heartbeat at a $1 an hour , I do all the prep' :smt005

I guess the end manufacture cost is what dictates all the above but to me , if the factory spent that little extra time in the prep' work (90% of any good job) they could easily charge double and get it as the end finish is stunning - it's what's underneath that's not vsad

If I had paid what I see some of the kits sell for I think I would be a lot more pissed off especially if a hundred quid or so was spent on shipping over and above ! But having no original panels and a one hit solution has made this spot on at this price :smt001
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister

Post by Mori Man »

While out washing the ZXR frame I thought I would make a start on the RG one too.

I guess the good thing with stink wheels that aren't looked after is all that black goo protects things really well :smt005

What looked daunting was soon eaten away with a new deagreaser I found in the shop, my top recomendation is AutoGlym Wheel Cleaner as this is designed to remove dried in brake dust and grime so basically dissolves all grime on your bike effortlessly but this stuff was a bit cheaper however it's not safe on paintwork if left for any length of time :smt018

Just starting out then remebered to take some photos:
img_5733003.jpg
This stuff is baked on and thick!
img_5735005.jpg
img_5738008.jpg
img_5739009.jpg
The brush I am using is soft nylon and only moments after spraying could easily agitate the gloop off :smt004
How it's shaping up, next will be getting an engine mount kit hunted out and bolting the motor in that's under the poly bag.
img_5737007.jpg
img_5740010.jpg
img_5741011.jpg
img_5742012.jpg
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

Hi MM did you swap the fame for a new one for the last couple of pics? shocking

heard good and bad about them chinese fairings but they are great for a quick ready to go replacement and readily available for lost of bikes.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister

Post by Mori Man »

masterofinsanity wrote:Hi MM did you swap the frame for a new one for the last couple of pics? shocking
:pmsl I wish mate , another frame arrived not 5mins ago - start all over again ,doh! :smt005
masterofinsanity wrote: heard good and bad about them chinese fairings but they are great for a quick ready to go replacement and readily available for lots of bikes.
I've never heard any good things about them :smt005 But think the seller who supplied the original panels has done some :smt014 with the maker to get them not bad. I have a customer in China who got a replica set for his Ducati to make a Bayliss replica and it went back a good few times. Originally it was Orange not Red shocking So he mounted it up , modified it to make it fit and sent it back to have it resprayed and the old mount holes filled too. When it came back the Red was still wrong and the Graphics were now wrong ( same as some on this set) so it went back again - being local no great headache for him but I could see where you need to avoid complicated colour schemes / graphics and mountings. There is only one Ducati Red - Rosso

This RG set should really be dark Blue & not Black but I still like it wrong :smt005

Engine in frame today - check my webby :smt003
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

that stuff you used for the frame looks like it works a treat!
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister

Post by Mori Man »

RedexRobB wrote:that stuff you used for the frame looks like it works a treat!
Mutz Nutz Rob, it's called " Dirt Squirt " and made in the USA geek

" Cleaner with protection, resolve tough dirts "

rest is in Japanese but hope it says not to use on paintwork cause it stains the alloy if left , it will bleach paint in seconds I reckon !

950cc bottle cost 13 quid - but it goes a long way, next engine I do will get this on it :smt001 not sure if safe on neoprene and the like which is the problem with automotive Gunk ( you need bike specific) so will ask missus to translate or do a search on the company site and see what it says.