New Year Resolution

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

New Year Resolution

Post by Mori Man »

Buy even more ZXR's :excited

I Bought this 01.01.2012

:smt003

ZXR400M1/2 (1991/2)
IMGP6631.JPG
IMGP6633.JPG
Done about 18K miles
IMGP6635.JPG
IMGP6634.JPG
Been down on both sides and sold as a non-runner. Was last started up 2yrs ago so carb clean and new battery should have it going again.
IMGP6641.JPG
IMGP6642.JPG
IMGP6639.JPG
IMGP6640.JPG
Even got a steering damper on it
IMGP6636.JPG
Cost: 671 GBP
Delivery: 252 GBP ( It's about 550miles away)

Once here it will get a quick make-over and when the other project builds are out the way will spend some more time on it getting it into shape again - it will also be getting kept well away from Honda's ! :smt005

What a great way to start the new year - hope yours is just as good :smt001

All the very best,

MM! :excited
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: New Year Resolution

Post by RedexRobB »

bloody hell, thats a good price! Keep us posted!
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister

Post by Mori Man »

RedexRobB wrote:bloody hell, thats a good price! Keep us posted!
It didn't sell first time around so knew it was destined for the stable :smt002

Sweet talk to the missus later and funds were secured :smt007

Better yet after saying I would trade five of them in for a new bike later this year she said " No need to do that " :excited

She's a keeper that one :smt008

:smt004
spacebar27
My Bike: zxr400l-sp-M2

Post by spacebar27 »

looking GOOD MM. It's in the best colours too. Would be interested in seeing some pic's of it with the fairing off. Still have a few Q's about mine?!. Which auction site bid it come off.
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister

Post by Mori Man »

Bought it off Yahoo :smt001

That's the delivery arranged now so might have it as early as this time next week :excited

Will be plenty pics of it naked as it's getting stripped down to have another frame put on it - so an SP build thread to follow :smt005
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

jammy bugger, why a new frame?
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister

Post by Mori Man »

masterofinsanity wrote:jammy bugger, why a new frame?
That's over 4yrs since getting a bike as cheap as this but have to agree jammy for a SP :smt001

Bike has no paperwork - most likely lost so no hope to make it legal for the road, bizare system they have here but once you loose the Shaken sheet ( Thats the MOT and Reg doc in one) your stuffed ! shocking

The only thing you can do is by a frame that does have it's paperwork or another bike with it. As luck would have it Mick bought a SP frame earlier on this year with documents - I had put them into my paperwork box when I sent the frame out so still have them. He hasn't done anything with the frame and later on this month he is coming over on a holiday so will bring it with him:

utheman

I've got a SP frame here to ship back out and will also have the frame of this bike spare too :smt004
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister

Post by Mori Man »

Phone call this afternoon, being delivered between 1~2pm tomorrow - I do love Saturdays :smt003

Rumaging through my cupboard today to gather up the RG parts and found some SP parts too :smt004

Soon as it's running it will be off for a test ride to see what it handles like and how the FCR's work hooked into an airbox with the TPS circuit and fuel by-pass working - assuming that it is still in standrad trim which I guess with the standard zorst on it.

Then the power magic will happen with my box of F3 parts :smt007
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister

It's Alive !

Post by Mori Man »

Duely arrived , gave it a quick look over and spent a bit of time cleaning it - makes you aware of what condition it is in.

Generally it's very good underneath the grime, the bodywork lets it down some what but I am pretty sure I will have it back to it's former glory :smt001
IMG_5778.jpg
IMG_5779.jpg
IMG_5780.jpg
IMG_5787.jpg
IMG_5788.jpg
IMG_5794.jpg
IMG_5800.jpg
IMG_5802.jpg
IMG_5814.jpg
So then came time to get panels off , make sure the airfilter wasn't dust and fit a battery and get a jam jar of fuel ready.
Nothing was overly tight - this made my nose twich , I had noticed there was fuel in the tank when wheeling it up onto the stand. No battery in it and I soon realised it had CVKs on it too :smt017
Off with the seat cowl and there's a SP Mitsubishi CDI that with the SP suspension and genuine tail certainly indicates it is a SP :smt017 Never heard f any being fitted with CVKs before.
IMG_5821.jpg
IMG_5844.jpg
Filter in the box was very clean - never a bad thing :smt004 , out with an allen key and drain down the float bowls - when I removed the tank the fuel was fresh so some one recently has tried to get it running.
IMG_5845.jpg
IMG_5856.jpg
shocking The usual stale green goo coming out the float bowls, so out with the carb cleaner and give them a squooshing. Filled up the jam jar and got that into place and fitted the Lithium battery. Next was to wash the carbs , throttle valves were jammed solid so more carb cleaner then finally they released ! It was gum on the needles that had jammed them.

First few turns left the drains open with rags underneath , by a few turns more I'm thinking the jar isn't emptying up so remove the fuel line and plug the end with my thumb - press starter and no relay chatter, looks like the fuel pump is stuffed or at least glogged. Pop the feed pipe off and press starter and nothing is coming out, OK lets by-pass the pump and just have fuel out of the tank directly into carbs. But before doing that I chucked some fuel down the carb throats and turned it over, vroom it fired up - lots of cleaner smoke out the zorst but sounding very good :smt003
IMG_5847.jpg
Get tank on and a float bowl is jammed as fuel exiting an overflow - few taps with the screwdriver soon stopped that but suspect the bowls aren't filling up (mesh filters are likely blocked solid) so some more fuel down the throats and it fired up again. Done this several times with no probs, but trying to film was difficult as it really is a two hand operation messing with the choke at the same time too.

Would have liked to have tried it with the CVKs on but stuff overhauling them when I have FCRs in the cupboard ready to bolt on, will keep the standard zorst on for a laugh :smt002 So will haul it out again sometime next week and get it running right :smt003

Oh, I suspect they tried getting the bike running with the original FCR's , not realising the fuel pump wasn't working or the relay decided to sawp out with L CVKs & box as the FCR will raise 30k+ on their own - a non running bike will never fetch good coin and even less with no paperwork. Having failed with the CVKs they gave up. The onlet manifolds werent even clamped on to the carbs and I observed fuel escaping past the the kead to manifold surface so some major airleaks going on too. It is a SP as the loom is also right having the TPS and fuel by-pass relay connectors on it , so happy days once the FCRs are on :-)

BTW, a lot more squat than the H so not ideal for taller riders compared to the H , pushing it about also felt different but that might be slightly binding brakes.
IMG_5773.jpg
IMG_5776.jpg

MM!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
spacebar27
My Bike: zxr400l-sp-M2

Post by spacebar27 »

Nice work... I'n not even sure that the bike would start on a non-mitsubishi cdi even if it had the cvk carbs. Wouldn't you have to replace the trigger and loom too. What trick f3 bits have you got.
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister

Post by Mori Man »

spacebar27 wrote:Nice work... I'n not even sure that the bike would start on a non-mitsubishi cdi even if it had the cvk carbs. Wouldn't you have to replace the trigger and loom too. What trick f3 bits have you got.
Added some more photos.

The bike is an SP which is missing the FCRs. All the electrical side will work with any carb's so the CDI & trigger are correct for each other :smt001 Oh, all the lights work too so once I get it running it will be off out for a jaunt :smt003

F3 parts I can remember:
33mm FCR Kit carbs - full spec.
Kawasaki Racing Team hard coated cam's (Adjustable)
Race CDI
Race Loom with tip over kill switch (will splice into a spare SP loom I already have)
Race exhaust system
Race Ram-Air box (Will change radiator for road use)

If I like the way the L handles compared to the H then it will get the above otherwise it will get:

33mm Bito R&D FCRs , Race CDI , cam's adjusted , one of the free flowing exhaust systems I have.
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister

Bit of Progress

Post by Mori Man »

Well after a good bit of :smt017

Finally got the bike running off some FCRs - still doesn't want to tick over but that can come later :smt005

Got the engine well warm and not a single puff out the zorst and rev's picked up real quick too :smt004 Would fire up off the button no prob's too so suspect air leaks causing the tick over issue. Next is to resolve enough to get it out for a test ride before I strip it down.

So nice to get it running and know it's a good un :smt004 Spark plugs are also new , oil change was less than 1,00Kms ago with filter Going to check the valve clearances as it looks like it was given a service to get it going but they failed :smt005

Once cleaned up happy to run the bike as is ( except for binning power restricting OEM parts lol ) and try pick up as new panels, if not I will have all these fixed and painted back to OEM except the tank ZXR as that'S just plain ghey :smt008 :smt005

Wont be havin Pink on my bike :pmsl
Neosophist
My Bike: VFR400R NC24

Post by Neosophist »

Heard it running today... engine sounds sweet.

For an L model with the KBATL clutch it's bloody quiet.. most of them sound like they have a dry clutch!

Will be nice to see it out on a ride.

Keep the tank sticker I like that about the ZXR :P

I think it would be pretty jazzy to have it in the ITOHAM scheme tho.. make for a rare looking SP.

Hopefully will fire up with the other FCR's now it's been run a bit too
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister

Post by Mori Man »

I told you to buy that ITOHAM I showed you - I would have bought it off you if and when you go , 'tis a nice looking bike even if a bit Honda looking :smt005 ( But I think Tamiya)

"Sunshine Tours " is another option but the lettering would double the price of the spray job :smt017

Making it look the same as my H would be OK though :smt003 Had a hunt about and found this kit for a baw hair under 10,000 Yen ( about 80GBP):
1112504000963s0.jpg
1112504000963s2.jpg
An unused BEET Titanium/carbon that would look the dogz baws on it but costs more than the bike did :smt005
1011567004171s0.jpg
Looks what's popped up with a 50,000 (about 400GBP) start price with no reserve ! shocking
real1st0002-img600x450-1326956724d1uvei6570.jpg
real1st0002-img600x450-132695727774kcf68849.jpg
real1st0002-img600x450-1326957295xyurku8935.jpg