banner's beast...

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: banner's beast...

Post by banner001 »

i will take some accurate measurements of them before i buy them, not gonna go for carbon look, just gloss black...
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

been test-polishing a bit more of the frame (viewtopic.php?f=162&t=13738) gonna attack this at the start of october, have got 2 weeks off work booked so wil get more 180 grit sandpaper...gonna do rearsets, exhaust hanger and maybe the trippleclamp/yoke top...will see about the last bit.

i will also finally get round to painting the brakes and possible the disk rotors as well...am feeling gold for them as well. would also like to paint the generator casing as well, will have some black, might do it that except for the zxr logo, will sand that back to bare metal, might polish as well, we will see...

but mainly been sorting out fuelling/carb issues. posted up a dyno trace a while back (viewtopic.php?f=168&t=13188), it was a bit rich in pilot and a bit lean at the top end, then with the engine work and new downpipes it was even richer in the pilot range 2-5k prm, and is now quite lean above 7-8k rpm. have stripped, cleaned and sonicated the carbs, all needles, jets, springs...the lot. wound the air screw out to 3 turns from fully in, have fitted a new airbox that actually seals to the top of the carbs, and i have put a k&n filter in, bike now pulls amazing from 2-6k rpm, but it is too lean above 7k rpm, starts to hesitate a bit, giving it full choke sorts it right out so its deffo lean at the top end. carbs are set up pretty much as stock K35 pilot, N77S needle (i have put a shim between the needle and the slider to richen the mix a bit), fuel float height is 12mm, K95 mains...so i will buy some 98 and 100 mains and see which feels best on the road.

bits is definitely better, hit a true (based on engine rpm and accurate tyre circumference) 125.2mph the other night, was doing 13600 rpm in 5th gear with choke on full, pirelli diablo rosso II tyre works out as 76.8 inches circumference with 36psi. so thats better than the 110mph it was topping out at before, am hoping that larger mains will help the engine at the higher revs. once it feels nice again on the road ill take it for a dyno to check the fuelling and see if it has increased power anything...bottom to middle end defo feels better and more responsive.
wilko
My Bike: zxr400 L1 & R1 4c8

Post by wilko »

some nice work done there, looking forward to pics of the finnished bike, i think that jap navy paint will set it off.
Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy toad, what a ride!
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

have ordered...
nitromors double strength paint stripper
aluminium etch primer
gold caliper paint
black caliper paint

got 2 weeks off at start of october so i will be painting the calipers (gold with black detailing), rotor insides (gold) and my fairing and meter stays (black spray paint). i have also procured a drill and a polishing velcro attachment so i can do a proper polish of everything that i can get the drill too...already tried it with a bit of the frame, brings it up wonderfully!

pics to follow :D
Leey
My Bike: Zxr400L8

Post by Leey »

The new nitromors is not that great as they have canged the formula. Might want to try and get some old stock.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

Leey wrote:The new nitromors is not that great as they have canged the formula. Might want to try and get some old stock.
too late, its on its way, its only to do a decent-ish job, its my commuter bike, so its never gonna be phenomenal, ive done 5900 miles on it this year. i just hope it survives the winter salt...

the calipers are almost bare metal at the moment, so the nitromors is to help remove any bits of remaining paint, then they will get a good clean, before the etch primer and several coats of gold paint :D i will need to see if the colour is similar to the rear, if not i will give that a quick clean and over-paint the underlaying gold...that should be good enough :D

looking forward to getting it done :D the whle front end of the bike will be coming off, i dropped the forks 10mm before, dont like it so that will go back to stock, plus im gonna soak the radiator to get all the road crap off it and attempt to straighten some of the radiator fins.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

my holiday started today...so on with painting and polishing :D

decided to start off with the little bits that annoy me, so im doing the clocks, they needed a good clean, plus the tops were all scratched, a previous owners crash had meant that the tachometer was buckled and tilted forwards, and the fairing/meterstays and the speedo/tachometer/temperature bracket were all corroded...so...

fairing stay and speedo/tachometer/temperature bracket

meter stay

painted the sides of the dials

all finished

plus my water temperature bulb had blown, as well as the lower light of the speedometer, so they got changed at the same time.

tomorrow, still waiting for the nitromors, so i will remove the front and rear wheel, as well as the front and rear brakes and clean them all up ready for priming on monday (should be here for then). will also take the forks off as well as the carbs, also removing the footrests ready for polishing the frame and footrests.

more to follow...
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

been giving the footrests another coating of paint

as well as the sidestand

ive removed the front and rear wheels and i have removed all 3 brake disks ready for painting, hopefully the paint stripper will be here tomorrow, i have cleaned them ready for stripping, i will clean the brake calipers tomorrow, more difficult to paint those that the brake rotors.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

primer is on the brakes

and brake rotors

will give them a second coat of primer tomorrow before painting GOLD on tuesday...new project bike arrives on wednesday...its gonna get pretty cramped in my garage...might not get to clean the radiator, and to be honest its never gonna overheat in winter, ill do it before summer rolls around 2013. im also taking delivery of two 120 x 60 x 80 (l x d x h) work benches on wednesday...will be EVEN more cramped :D
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

list is now:-
paint front calipers gold with black TOKICO detailing - ONGOING
paint torsion bar silver (currently its coloured corrosion/embedded dirt ) - ONGOING
coil stick mod - £
buy, fit and paint aluminum frame stay and aluminum meter stay - Painted orginals enamel gloss black
maybe integrated indicators in my wingmirrors? - £
still think i need a new master cylinder (although its fine at the moment, if i want to pull stoppies i probably could, i can raise the rear off the ground under braking which never happened before) - £
my levers are all marked (previous owners damage) so a change (in line with the MC) - £
new bar ends and grips - Grips might be here soon, need to choose colour, currently a blackened bright blue
replace a few bolts with black aluminum (fairings, fuel cap, screen) - £
new rearsets and matching pillion pegs - Pillion pegs painted black, will keep for time being
powdercoat F+R rims - £
would like a new brake fluid reservoir for the front - £
finish polishing frame... - ONGOING

Things marked £ are currently on hold due to no money :D
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

rear rotor is finished...

and installed along with polished rotor bolts :D

one front rim is finished, might give another coat tomorrow, the other has the sides finished, needs 2-3 top coats, calipers have had 1 coat each.

also cleaned up and polished the rearsets. have done a 240-grit polish of the whole rearset to give it a brushed finish, plus i did 400-grit, 1000-grit, 2000-grit, blue polishing soap, and finally a polish with autosol to the heel plate-yes it will get scuffed, but should be easy to polish in the future...

have cleaned the swingarm as well as all the places around the front sprocket area that gets splattered in lube/road muck and i have removed the side-stand switch and joined the cables back together.

more tomorrow, plus delivery of new project bike and 2 work tables...better than the cardboard im currently woring on :D
syihabuddin
My Bike: L9

Post by syihabuddin »

Am watching this thread very closely. Something new everyday you got going here.

Might want to head to fleabay. Saw several sets of stick coils going very cheap. Usd25-ish. That price for a whole set is quite a bargain.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

cant afford anything else as i have a new project ariving in a few hours, plus by the time you include postage and import tax the cost will be £50 ish...cant afford/my wife WLL kill me :D

rear wheel is now on, been polishing things, gonna get the rearsets finished tonight ready to go on in a few days. too cold in my man-cave to paint now, might do a bit of frame polishing tonight, plus i need to drop the front forks 10mm back to where they originally were.
tink
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L2

Post by tink »

Awesome job your doing there
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

cheers guys, wont get everything done that i wanted to do (polishing around the headstock, and the top yoke) but im hoping to be done for the weekend...that way i have my transport back and me and the missus can go enjoy the other week i have off...