jambon's ZXR 400 H1

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

jambon
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400 H1

jambon's ZXR 400 H1

Post by jambon »

Hi guys,

First post here and have been snooping for a few days, now I've got my bike thought I'd start a thread.
Passed DAS a couple of weeks ago and bought this ZXR 400 H yesterday.

eBay Link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150902906381? ... 748wt_1271

It's no minter with over 50,000 miles, but has been recently tarted up to pass an MOT by the previous owner. The bike only has one MOT certificate from a month back, so would like to do a full service (or what needs changing) for peace of mind.

Today I bought; original front fairing with og screen, Renthal grips and some black fuel tank bolts.

Next will be to change the oil and oil filter, oh and the brakes need sorting too.
Any advice about anything very welcome!
Last edited by jambon on Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: jambon's ZXR 400 H

Post by cargo »

the MOT gives NO indication of service history or condition......................means nothing in fact

Nice bike BTW
R P Corse
CBT slow
CBT slow
My Bike: ZXR400 H1

Post by R P Corse »

that years colour scheme just doesn't suit the H at all!
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

gotta agree with BigB, not the best ive seen, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Welcome to the forum. :smt006
jambon

Post by jambon »

I don't think it's more garish than some other ZXR colours, most of them aren't too subtle.
I will confess RedexRobB's white bike is lovely though, nice and simple. Thanks for the comments guys.

So far I've:
- fitted a new front fairing (with og clear screen)
- changed oil & oil filter
- changed spark plugs
- New grips

Learning a bit and making progress at the moment, just after changing the front fairing the bike doesn't start (with old plugs).
Originally when pressing the ignition there was nothing, then I shorted it with a screwdriver now it turns over.
Turns over just doesn't fire, makes a clicking from the solenoid so will have to figure out what it is the problem.
Been looking through the 'Starting & running problems' which is pretty helpful so far.

On the plus side the air filter is in good nick, and all the brake pads are all pretty much new.
R P Corse
CBT slow
CBT slow

Post by R P Corse »

sorry was quite rude of me!

welcome to the forum mate lol

i'm not a fan of the purple and pink on the H models, but thats personal choice! H model's are beautiful, i personally prefer this look over the L's so good choice on bike ;) just a shame about the colour scheme ;) I've got one in the red/gun metal/black colour which im turning into a track bike

plenty of info on here, dont hesitate to send me a PM, im still getting to grips with the H so more than happy to share what info i have on it
jambon

Post by jambon »

Ah no offense taken, to be honest I can see what you mean. It's hot pink!
jambon

Post by jambon »

Done a few things to the bike, albeit small but satisfied I've done it myself.

- Fitted front fairing
- Fitted clear screen
- Black tank pad
- New Grips
- New petrol tank bolts
- Original hoover tubes
- Generally touched up the plastics
- Changed oil & filter
- Changed plugs
- Polished exhaust (not done in these pics)
- Also realised the battery isn't charging as it wasn't firing, so armed with a multimeter diagnosed it to be the reg/rec which is now in the post.

I know it's not massive stuff but still pretty new to motorbikes and enjoying the process of learning. Had a terrifying experience where I accidentally yanked the petrol hose from the tank losing about 2L's on the shed floor, incidentally removing the Shepard's pie from my pants shortly after.
Took the bike out today to find out if the rev limiter has been removed and I can confirm it has. 14K rpms scares the hell out of me!

Must say thanks to banner001 who helped me diagnose the charging problem, much appreciated.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

jambon wrote:Must say thanks to banner001 who helped me diagnose the charging problem, much appreciated.
no probs bud! anything to get a zxr back on the roads!

if you wanna see mine and mr luke's hooning down the bruntingthorpe track buy a copy of BiKE magazine ~25th october...we are in there along with 19 other 400cc machines :D
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
jambon

Post by jambon »

Wow well done on getting in the mag, will keep an eye out for it for sure.
MrLuke
My Bike: ZXR400 L3

Post by MrLuke »

My bike has the same colour scheme as yours but in L model form :smt002 Your bike doesn't look too bad at all considering it has done 50k! Hope my pic in the mag isn't too cringey, I can't smile for toad!
jambon

Post by jambon »

Waiting for a few bits to arrive, so thought I'd try and clean up the lines at the rear.
Wanted to get a tail tidy but didn't want to screw on anything underneath or replace the under-tray gubbins, so modified the stock one.

Took the reflector and number plate light cover off, then cut around the plastic mount which would leave a flat surface.

If you can see I left the roof of the number plate light so it would tuck up just under the brake light, making it look nicer and hopefully minimizing any water getting in. I did tidy up the edges with sandpaper before sticking the plate on just forgot to photograph it looking all nice.

Finished off with a 8x6 plate.

Bit of an improvement.

Thought I'd post this in case anyone else wanted to easily tidy the rear up without the hassle of replacing the under tray.
jambon

Post by jambon »

The brakes were long overdue a service, so thought it would be a good idea to replace the stock hoses with some braided Goodridge ones.
Seeing as the bikes getting on, thought it made sense to rebuild the calipers whilst replacing the knackered seals.

Went and sprayed the exhaust hanger too

Fitted flushmount indicators up front and some ZXR 750 mirrors which don't fold in a 60mph+

Totally remembered I'm part of the RAC so got someone to diagnose the electrical fault for free, turned out to be the battery was toast.
Also figured out the new reg/rec was allowing the battery to charge up to 20Vs, so swap it back for the old.
Was looking at the tyres too and seems they're 11 years old :/ So Pirelli Diablos will be going on order.
v1nn13

Hoover pipes?

Post by v1nn13 »

Hey guys, just wondering where I can get hold of new Hoover pipes for the H model. Can find L ones, would these fit? Or can they be modded to?

Many thanks
jambon

Post by jambon »

I don't think you can fit L hoover pipes on H models, the fairing attachment is different. They do come up on ebay now and then, I didn't have to wait too long.