jambon's ZXR 400 H1

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: jambon's ZXR 400 H1

Post by banner001 »

im gonna do this to my fzr1000 tank before i send it off for painting, i take it its a 1-day job to de-rust the tank?
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
MrLuke
My Bike: ZXR400 L3

Post by MrLuke »

Yes pretty much, just gives the derusting agent time to do it's magic if it's very rusty :smt003 Leaving it overnight is easiest
jambon
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400 H1

Post by jambon »

Followed MrLuke's brilliant guide (link on the previous page) to clean the inside of my tank, which worked really well. Only thing was I couldn't leave it overnight as the tank kept leaking from the fuel tap, even after changing the gaskets :smt011

deox-C tank cleaning kit with fuel tap gaskets

Before

After

New Carb arrived so I could scavenge the needle jet and some better condition drain screws.

Also when I was cleaning the carbs one of the pilot air screws was turned out 75% more than the others, so will be interested if resetting them all to the factory settings will help. Just waiting for a couple of fuel filters and that should be it for a while.
jambon

Post by jambon »

Not the neatest of jobs, but wanted to ensure it worked, so liberally applied some sealant to the tap. I know I shouldn't have to use this, but just couldn't get it to stop dripping, which is weird as it didn't leak from the bolts with the old gasket. Nice and new fuel filters too.

I've been meaning to change the coolant, but may get the bike up and running first before doing it.
bude-zxr
My Bike: ZXR 400 L4

Post by bude-zxr »

Bike looks real nice mate looks like a clean one!!
jambon

Post by jambon »

Yeah it's not too bad for 50k plus mileage, being born in the same year as me, I'm not sure who's worse off.

Was having a bit of trouble with the fuel pump where it wasn't pumping fuel when pressing the starter button, put an L model pump on, and it seems to be doing the job. Certainly putting more fuel in the filter than before. Was worried about some water coming out the exhaust, but after searching it seems condensation is totally normal. (plus awesome vortex effect geek )

R P Corse
CBT slow
CBT slow
My Bike: ZXR400 H1

Post by R P Corse »

Really liking this mate! I'm yet to do this to my tank, it's just finding the time at the moment!

Keep up the work mate!

Where abouts are you based???
jambon

Post by jambon »

It's nice to know how much crap is actually floating in your tank, even if you drain it to find not a lot, at least you know.
I'm in Hertfordshire so just outside the M25. Thanks!
R P Corse
CBT slow
CBT slow
My Bike: ZXR400 H1

Post by R P Corse »

Agreed mate, should have seen what was in my tank, need to give it another flush that's for sure - luckily I've replaced all the seals in the tank so no more rust fingers crossed!

Ah I'm south of the M25, Surrey way, we'll have to get some kinda ride going sometime
jambon

Post by jambon »

Now that the weather is on the turn, a ride sounds like a great idea.

So yesterday my knight in a fetching rain suit, a top a lovely L4 came to the rescue.
banner001 traveled 85 miles (+ the return leg) to lend a hand, which not only restored my faith in humanity, but was seriously helpful and knowledgeable too.

We did various test to the carbs and balanced them, but notably ruled out the cam chain for the moment :smt003 , and got half way through the dreaded shims.

I thought Phillip Schofield's contestants on The Cube had a hard time, but getting the shims in/out was challenging enough for me. I need to get some vernier calipers and will continue with the shimmage asap!
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

thats the side with no damage :D you could have photoshopped out my dirty wheels - couldnt be bothered to clean them before coming down.

you will be fine, take it one stop at a time, you are doing the right thing by taking pictures of everything, and your cylinder compression and state of your valves is a lot better than mine was when i did them :D

keep us updated.
jambon

Post by jambon »

Gasketed in to minimise getting oil on the plugs

Cleaned up a bit

New shim installed and all the valve clearances within the required distance, so very happy. Now that the bikes all back together it's a lot more eager to start, it may be down to turning out the pilot air screws a quarter too, but it inspires much more confidence than before. There is still and bit of tapping from what sounds like the valves but I can certainly live with that. The only bad thing was when I reattached the one of the ignition coils, and pushed the rubber nut into the frame with the screw thread.

banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

looking good for some summer blasts :D
Columbo
My Bike: ZXR 400 L9

Post by Columbo »

From what I can tell, those rubber wellnuts always find a way into the frame. No big deal...
jambon

Post by jambon »

Got some stainless pipes which turned out to be in an awful state, certainly not good enough even by my standards.
Think I'll just pay a bit extra for some sandybikespares stainless headers.

Hmm nice

Cleaned the engine up a bit, as you can see the pipes are pretty fragile and do need replacing.

Painted the side stand