jambon's ZXR 400 H1

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

R P Corse
CBT slow
CBT slow
My Bike: ZXR400 H1

Re: jambon's ZXR 400 H

Post by R P Corse »

Looking good mate! Keep it up!
jambon
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400 H1

Re: jambon's ZXR 400 H1

Post by jambon »

Not too much to report really, had a look at my silencer as I thought it was blowing, which it was.

After taking it off you could clearly see carbon deposits where its been escaping between the bolts (forgot to photograph so sorry).
cleaned up both the silencer and catch tank (is it called that?), one of the threads on the silencer needed re-threading so did that too.

I've got a new copper silencer gasket and exhaust paste on order, but I'm thinking, to minimise any air escaping shouldn't it be a really tight fit between the two pipes? Looks like the silencer isn't designed for the bike, so if anybody knows of a way of making the two a tight fit I'd be happy to hear any ideas.

Pirelli Diablos waiting to go on

Still trying to make the bike look as clean as possible, so repositioned the shock reservoir further down which will be hidden under the rear panel.

jambon

Post by jambon »

New Battery

Torque arm repainted

Rear end looking a little nicer.

Fully charged the new battery and still not getting the bike to fire, pretty frustrating.
Having checked a few things, think I'll just hand it over to the bike shop for them to diagnose.
dan661
My Bike: kawasaki zxr400 H2

Post by dan661 »

The rear end looks really nice with the shock reservoir hidden, its cleaned up the line of the bike really well.
jambon

Post by jambon »

Cheers Dan! I've since jacked the rear up a couple more cm's after getting some lockring spanners which feels better, and will look a tad nicer too.
The recent improvement in weather has rekindled my interest in the project so looking forward to actually riding it soon!
dan661

Post by dan661 »

its killing me having all this nice weather over the last few days and my bike is still in pieces!! I should have started my project earlier haha
jambon

Post by jambon »

Just got the bike back from the garage. Without going too much into it, the bike wouldn't start and now it does. An RAC man looked at the bike for quite a while and diagnosed it as the fuel pump, then the garage said it started first time on the button?! A little concerned that it could flare up again but at least it saved me some money. Pirelli Diablos now fitted too, so can't wait till they're scrubbed and the Spring has arrived.

I've taken the bike out a few times for a shakedown, I was a bit nervous to be honest after not riding since passing in, what was it, September?
It needs a good fist of throttle to get it to start and to stop it from cutting out when warming up, so will look the carbs. After refitting the (not so) silencer it sounds a little quieter, which is only a good thing, and having braided brake hoses it feels like the brakes work for the first time! On new tyres I was obvious taking it easy, but it felt better than the 12 year old rubber that was previously fitted, so I'm sure they'll scrub up great.

Last edited by jambon on Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CrazyChris
My Bike: Kawasaki ZX400G

Post by CrazyChris »

Looking good mate. Suddenly I am wishing I bought the H a year ago when I had the chance. Instead I stuck with the Hyosung. Luckily I came to my senses though
jambon

Post by jambon »

Cheers Chris, it's not a proper project like yours, but I enjoy tinkering nonetheless. At least the bike was still for sale, most good deals don't seem to hang around.
jambon

Post by jambon »

Managed to get the front brake lever to operate the brake light (which it wasn't), which sounds easy enough by fitting a new spade connector. Only thing is the wire was short, fragile and brittle, but glad it's done now.

As a means to get to the carbs, the tank had to be removed, and as I've found out previously the fuel tap doesn't stop fuel coming out.
Found out why. (If it's possible to get just the rubber gasket that would be awesome)

Image Image

The tank sounded like it had more than fuel in it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyYkTk1-tyw

It wasn't too bad, but not a clue what the plastic circle is on the bottom right?!

At the moment I'm half way through cleaning the carbs, which isn't as daunting as I thought (although I haven't finished yet).

At the bottom of the carb you can see the fuel intake tube in the middle, and overflow tubes on each side. It seems strangle that the overflow tubes aren't longer so they can be routed to the bottom of the bike no? Also, any experience on cleaning the inside of the tank most welcome.
Last edited by jambon on Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jambon

Post by jambon »

Carbs are all cleaned and it wasn't too hard apart from a couple of screws that were reluctant to undo, only thing is one of the needle jets (N77C) is damaged so will need to replace it. The N77C jets are discontinued, so may have to look into a possible upgrade if they're compatible.

More rust from the tank

dan661

Post by dan661 »

someones been busy! this has reminded me I still have to clean mine!
jambon

Post by jambon »

I've had a few days off work, and with the nice weather recently I wanted to make sure it was 100%. The only down side about fixing things is it means spending more money vsad. Hopefully you won't be too surprised when you drain your tank, much better to know though.
MrLuke
My Bike: ZXR400 L3

Post by MrLuke »

In case you missed it :smt001 viewtopic.php?f=167&t=14411
jambon

Post by jambon »

I certainly missed that post, very useful indeed! Great as well you say it isn't acidic or toxic and you don't have to mess about with baking soda. Thanks Luke