jambon's ZXR 400 H1

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

dan661
My Bike: kawasaki zxr400 H2

Re: jambon's ZXR 400 H1

Post by dan661 »

Thats an awesome picture of your bike by the aqueduct! its looking really good, nice and shiny :smt003
jambon
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400 H1

Post by jambon »

Cheers Dan, yeah it's a nice little spot locally to me.

Sounding a little more raspy and very pleased with the quality. Also removed the throttle release cable as read somewhere it's not essential, and it's sharpened up the throttle release nicely too.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

go for a nice long high rpm blast, get your engine up to high temp and the pipes will blue really nice :D

the only problem with removing the throttle return cable is if (and it is unlikely) that a throttle retun spring breaks you will have no way to "close" the throttle...if the cables that bad that its causing resistance get a cable pressure luber and lube up the cable...if its still too stiff, replace the cable, unless i was on track i would not be removing mine...
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
jambon

Post by jambon »

Cheers John, will look into reattaching it when I next have the tank off. Knowing how strong the throttle return spring is, I imagine the cable would snap first but yeah will investigate. Not the most exciting update, but changed the foot peg heel plate as it looked like it's seen the floor once in it's life. It was originally covered it a kind of adhesive tinfoil to disguise the damage, very strange.

Never had any problems shifting gears, but there's always been some lateral play in the gear linkage arm form left to right. From looking at the microfiche there's no bush or rubber, so I imagine this is the same for everyone?
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

yep, same here with the side to side play, i might look at sticking a thin washer in there next time on the side closest to the bike...cant do any harm :D
jambon

Post by jambon »

Sounds like a good idea, makes you wonder why Kawasaki didn't do it themselves. For the record I tried a 1mm spacer and it's too wide as it prevents the gear linkage from moving freely. As I got some stainless headers which were very exciting I'm due some more boring updates...

The bike always had trouble starting with the side stand down, and depending on its mood it may or may not work. I know John you've done this, and it seems like a good idea, by eliminating the kill switch. I can now start the bike in neutral on the stand and even go into gear which I will try hard not to do by accident.

banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

looking good, now you just need to tuck that somewhere out of the way and you are all set...i also disabled the clutch switch too as that was starting to develop a fault on my bike - i would be riding along and all power would die unless i pulled the clutch in and i had to let it slip all the way home...theres 3 wires, you need to cross between 2 of them, either check the manual, or remind me later (away this weekend) and ill see which 2 you need to join (well, i actually used a paperclip to bridge the connection and then tape it up) - been fine ever since.

hmm, might need to try getting a 0.5mm, or some very thin imperial washers maybe?

now you have disabled the sidestand switch, you dont need it on the bike, so you can ditch that if you have not already done so.

you will start off a few times with the sidestand down...then you will get into the habit of double checking its up...good practice anyway TBH, i know these things are there for safety, but you really shouldnt be relying on them so much.

and as for the clutch switch, i only ever park the bike in neutral, and i always pull in the clutch when starting to ease the pressure on the starter motor, and i check that my neutral light is on when i turn the key.
jambon

Post by jambon »

Yeah it's all tucked away and the kill switch has been binned. In hindsight it probably would have been better to cut the wires further back, so that at least there is the option of soldering it back on. It does seem better though.

As with the clutch switch, what exactly does it do out of interest? I too only ever park in neutral and engage the clutch when starting the bike, but probably won't do the mod unless it's causing me any bother.
CrazyChris
My Bike: Kawasaki ZX400G

Post by CrazyChris »

Clutch switch basically stops you from starting your bike in gear by accident. Safety measure. I call it stupid switch.
Vaughn
My Bike: Zxr400

Post by Vaughn »

Very nice, good effort as well.
It's inspirational, you've got me thinking about stripping the brakes down for a rebuild and cleaning the tank out now.
Wonder how hard it is to get caliper seals for an 89 zxr
jambon

Post by jambon »

CrazyChris wrote:Clutch switch basically stops you from starting your bike in gear by accident. Safety measure. I call it stupid switch.
Ah I see, thought it'd be somehow more complicated than that.
Vaughn wrote:Very nice, good effort as well.
It's inspirational, you've got me thinking about stripping the brakes down for a rebuild and cleaning the tank out now.
Wonder how hard it is to get caliper seals for an 89 zxr
Thanks very much, this thread was always for my own record really but great that it's of use to others too. Rebuilding the brakes was one the best things I've done, but if yours is still running the original brake lines, replacing/upgrading them is a must. On the caliper seals, here is where I got mine (also an 89) from: http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/kawasaki/zxr_400_h1/89/. All the best with it!
CrazyChris
My Bike: Kawasaki ZX400G

Post by CrazyChris »

Not complicated at all. Bypassed mine the other day. My neutral light stays on permanently now. Just need to sort that out
Vaughn
My Bike: Zxr400

Post by Vaughn »

Oh you legend, just what I've been looking for thanks for that.
I've just been reading through the service history for the bike, it's had a lot of work done over the years. I think the brakes must have been done according to the failure sheets from the past.
The most recent mot has advisories for slight wear on the discs so might go the whole hog and do the discs and strip down the callipers, braided hoses at the same time me thinks
jambon

Post by jambon »

Was out this evening doing 60mph on a nice long road and the engine lost all power. Initially I thought it was running out of motion lotion, so managed to turn the fuel tap to reserve instinctively but that made no difference. Having pulled over to a safe location I tried to start the bike again (always with clutch in) but it just fired and wouldn't turn over. After waiting 5 minutes the bike was more eager to start until it did so. Does this sound like the clutch switch right on cue, or even the dreaded hot start? The temperature wasn't irregularly high if that detail helps.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

hot start problems shouldnt cause you to lose all power, i take it that the bike just died on you in an instant? if so it was probably electrical, if it started spluttering, or acting odd then it might be mechanical.

try dissabling the clutch switch and see if it does it again?