New project...non-zxr

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

New project...non-zxr

Post by banner001 »

i have a new project...1989 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP, 46k miles, V5, £400 and 4 cans of beer delivered to my place :D The fairings, tank, carbs etc are all scattered about the place in the loft so its a complete bike, but its getting fully stripped anyways :D

its strange looking down an intake port and seeing 3 valves...
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Re: New project...non-zxr

Post by banner001 »

one thing, the rocker cover is magnesium...its feather light and will look stunning when its cleaned and polished :D
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

evil handling monster and was the reason why production class racing was dropped after the 1989 TT races........................horrible bike
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

my ex-racer mate thinks they are fantastic, he's already offered my £500 for it, but its not for sale...it will however be LAMBORGHINI ORANGE when finished :D

everyone i have talked to that has owned one has loved it, i have found almost no dissenting voices...
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

in 1989 zxr 400 had some really nice upside down forks......................those look like something out of a 70s 125.......................NO THANKS

New rules for racing 80s and 90s bikes on the IOM for 2013 still exclude this bike and it's contemporaries

Enjoy

not for me
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

cargo wrote:New rules for racing 80s and 90s bikes on the IOM for 2013 still exclude this bike and it's contemporaries
...and this is relevant to a road bike because...?

btw, that's a rhetorical question, i don't really care what your reply is :D
Black_onyx
My Bike: ZXR400 L

Post by Black_onyx »

fantastic bike,keep us updated!
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

Black_onyx wrote:fantastic bike,keep us updated!
first thing will be to get a spark, it cranks fine, but no spark...i suspect its just a wiring fault/dodgy kill switch etc...once thats done it will get the loom hacked into :D looking at a LiPO4 battery and custom case to centralise the mass, relocate all tail electrical relays etc to this new battery/electrics box. a friend suggested fitting a more modern pump and getting rid of the fuel pump relay - will look into this. Either gonna fit small bulb indicators, or wire in proper LED relays (as opposed to resistors).

am going to wuss out of designing a brand new look and basically copy this (Image)...with a large matt black stripe running down the centerline of the bike and over the tail, with a matte red pinstripe either side, frame will be powdercoated black, downpipes will either be painted black, or wrapped in heatwrap, or both. mainly to keep them from getting damaged/corroded as they are in OK condition...but not fantastic, and new replacements with the EXUP housing i cant seem to find...only race systems without it...the general consensus seems to be to still stick with the exup valve...we will see.

want to get the weight down, its about 236kg fully oiled and fuelled (apparently) and probably about 125bhp (46k miles on the clock, supposed to be 145bhp...), would like to get this towards the 200kg mark and ~140bhp mark. my zxr for comparison is ~180kg and 55bhp.

so thats 0.305bhp/kg for zxr, 0.529bhp/kg (stock fzr), 0.7bhp/kg (lightened fzr)

with me on board in gear +90kg:-
0.203bhp/kg for zxr, 0.383bhp/kg (stock fzr), 0.482bhp/kg (lightened fzr)

...so its got almost twice to power/weight ratio that my current bike has...should be good fun tearing the thing apart :D
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

banner001 wrote:
cargo wrote:New rules for racing 80s and 90s bikes on the IOM for 2013 still exclude this bike and it's contemporaries

Equally I dont care about your bike I'm merely experssiong an opinion

It is relevant because the bike was ONLY raced as a production bike that is to say it was exactly as taken from the showroom floor................a pile of useless scrap metal in fact
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

cargo wrote:
banner001 wrote:

Equally I dont care about your bike I'm merely experssiong an opinion

It is relevant because the bike was ONLY raced as a production bike that is to say it was exactly as taken from the showroom floor................a pile of useless scrap metal in fact
its a project bike, never to see a racetrack...
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

bike is getting delivered next wednesday :D

in other news, a friend of a friend has a powdercoating business so i will be taking it there to get done, looking at £100 for the wheels and £150 for the frame and swingarm.

new i have access to somethings that he can use, so im gonna get a £250 powdercoating job for £0 :D

will be matte black powdercoating, with a surface laquer on everthing except the wheels. when i get the plastics and tank sprayed i will get the wheels pinstriped in the same orange paint so they all match, then get them laquered to protect them.

i just want it to arrive now :D
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

update:-
-sorted out a "to sell pile" comes in at over 15kg of mass so far...
-rear wheel removed along with most of my years aggression, spindle was almost welded in with rust...took several days to remove it with a rubber mallet.
-bike was originally only cranking, cleaned up plugs, reattached HT leads, connected a new batter, carbs on, bit of fresh fuel, connect all electrical leads, bit of engine oil...and it fired up for first time in 4 years.
-have removed front headlights, city light, front indicators and clocks, have removed all electrical connections from the front of the bike, i will be re-making all the connector blocks up fresh with all-new connectors then packing it with di-electric grease and sealing with tape, should keep it waterproof (not that its going anywhere near rain).
-powdercoating is going to come in at £220, a 3-colour paint job is looking like ~£400 which is good to know.
-engine has a flattened and seived allen bolt, LHS underneath the cam cover...bolt is hardened steel so my stud extractor did nothing, am gonna try JB weld and a bolt to try to free it...if not i can wedge the frame slightly and cut it, not ideal, but other guys have done it and managed to mole-grip the bolt out afterwards...or i can get an actual nut welded to it and break it that way...
-am in process of removing the last of the electrical connectors (relays, exup valve, CDI etc...) then i can start to chop into it, gonna remove the sidestand and clutch switches first, then i will look at wiring in LED relays for the indicators, need to source some new headlights (probably chrome chopper ones) and wire them up properly. once thats done i have 2 sets of "spare" connectors to remove, several lengths of wire to cut down already, followed by adjusting the CDI, fuse box, relays etc...so that they sit on the (still to be designed and constructed) subframe for the (still to be assessed and purchased) single seat tail unit.
-need to decide what to do about a seat, will depend on what happens with the tail unit, i like the idea of the old 500cc 2-stroke GP bikes which were just a foam pad ontop of the plastics...but i guess that more reinforcing will be needed for the road. cant make my decision until i decide upon a tail unit.
need to look at securing the radiator and oil cooler to the engine block in a better way than current (all horrible angled and rusted steel), will also need a meter stay/clock mount when i decide on the correct headlights and digital display.

pics to follow.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

that is nice!! keep posting pics!
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

masterofinsanity wrote:Image

that is nice!! keep posting pics!
that is my design image...it will look something like that...but its no where near there yet :D

also the frame and wheels will be powdercoated matt black as opposed to polished now :D
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

matt black will show every scratch/mark i went for satin black on mine see here
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.