Streetfighter H2 Project

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

dan661
My Bike: kawasaki zxr400 H2

Streetfighter H2 Project

Post by dan661 »

Hello everyone, iv decided to fully strip down a H2 streetfighter that I bought at the start of summer, it wasnt in the best shape when I got it, but now winter is here im going to do a full rebuild on it :smt001

This is what im starting with
http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-a ... 8234_n.jpg

So far iv got it to this stage. Im waiting till friday to drop the engine because thats the soonest someone can help with it, I don't want to end up dropping it and making more work for myself!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dan661

Re: Streetfighter H2 Project

Post by dan661 »

I've decided to stay indoors today as its freezing! so im going to try and overhaul the brakes, stripping callipers and cleaning etc, hopefully their not in to bad condition
dan661

Post by dan661 »

rear caliper, snapped pin!.JPG
Had trouble with ALL the calipers today! so nothing really went to plan.
The pins in the rear caliper were seized in tight! had to split the caliper to have a good go at them! sadly we had a casualty vsad so the drill needs to be cracked out tomorrow.

In the front calipers I tried to get the pistons out, but 2 of the pistons on the same side were seized, and this happened on both sides!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by dan661 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dan661

Post by dan661 »

update on the bike;
havnt really done much in the last 2 days due to me working, the engine is out now, only thing is that the pivot bolt in the swing arm just wont budge!! its spinning ok but just wont slide out no matter how much I swear at it! im guessing the grease has gone solid inside :smt013 im a bit stumped as what to do, ive been showing it the angry end of the hammer but still nothing, if I fully go at it it'll probably come out but at the expense of the threads and bearing inside, iv seen loads of pivot bolts for sale on ebay so I might have to go to town on mine and get myself another one. I had to get the blow torch on the suspension linkage nuts to get those buggers! I dont think my bike wants to come apart! and the rocker cover is stuck solid as well!!!!! im greasing everything to within an inch of its life when it goes back together!!!!
Ewetea
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400L5

Post by Ewetea »

Hi. I had a similar problem with the swinging arm bolt on my L1. The thread can be found here: L1 Swinging arm (1981) - type that into the "search" box at the top right hand corner of the forum and it should lead you to it.
If you do decide to destroy the bolt (rather than the frame by continually hitting it), I may be able to fix you up with another bolt; I shall have to have a rummage in the garage (they cost £35 new!!). You may also find that the tubular spacer inside that also acts as the internal bearing surface for the needle rollers is corroded or worn. I doubt I'll have one of those simply because mine was shot so I had to buy a new one. Similarly, the bushes, needle roller bearings and dowel bolts in the bottom linkage may also require replacement. Put them all down as Christmas presents!! Tell yourself it will be worth it when you're breezing along leafy lanes next summer.
dan661

Post by dan661 »

Heya, thanks for the link to your thread, just read the whole thing and there's a few things on there iv not tried yet, I'm going to go down the same route as you and cut the head off the bolt after I've worked it out a bit further and pull it through. iv just been out now to put the frame on its side and let some penetrative oil work its way through to the grease. I'll have another go at it tomorrow and let you know how it goes. Definitely sounds like I'm going to have to tweak my Christmas list!
dan661

Post by dan661 »

hello again! been a while since iv done much to my bike due to the christmas period. I took my frame and swingarm to a workshop today to have the pivot bolt removed as id tried EVERYTHING I could of done at home, and guess what....even they cant remove it! the next step is going to be taking it to an engineering firm and see if they can press it out. fingers crossed!!
dan661

Post by dan661 »

FINALLY GOT THE PIVOT BOLT OUT!! only took a 15 ton press...
Now that its all apart I can get on with painting the frame and swingarm. aiming to get it done by next week so will have some good pics to put up soon :smt003
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

mine looked like that on the fzr, took a week of hammering the thing with a rubber mallet to remove it!
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
dan661

Post by dan661 »

Hello again everyone, sorry iv not uploaded any pictures recently, the weather here as been so bad that iv not managed to do any painting vsad its at times like this I wish I had a garage! Iv got everything ready though so the second it gets warmer and less windy I'll be straight on it. Iv bought new swingarm pivot and head bearings, suspension linkage and pivot bolt and also a new undertray. Iv found some brake callipers both front and rear that have been professionally rebuilt, but they are from a H1 model, iv spent a few hours looking through the forum and iv not found anything about if H1 callipers fit the H2. Iv looked at the disc sizes and mounting holes and they seem to be the same, so has anyone fitted these before or know if they will fit? from what I can see in the picture they seem to look the same but I just want to check with some people who know a bit more than I do :smt001

Much appreciated. Dan
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

as far as i know, there are no differences between the H1 and H2 brakes.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

no difference betweenthe H1 and H2, its between the H and L models theres a difference.
dan661

Post by dan661 »

thank you, very much appreciated!
dan661

Post by dan661 »

Hello again everyone, got some more pics of where i'm upto with the build.
dan661

Post by dan661 »

The swingarm and frame have also had new bearings fitted.