Streetfighter H2 Project

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

dan661
My Bike: kawasaki zxr400 H2

Re: Streetfighter H2 Project

Post by dan661 »

I also got around to finishing off painting the engine, took ages but I really like the look of it, no one will be able to see the red cam cover but knowing its there will make me smile :smt003
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dan661

Post by dan661 »

I've also bought a new cam cover gasket, new iridium plugs, and a new starter solenoid as the old one had quite a lot of corrosion.
callum@93
My Bike: zxr 400 L8

Post by callum@93 »

That paint is looking good, keep up the good work
dan661

Post by dan661 »

Was out in the back garden under the shelter this morning getting my wheels ready for painting and the family husky burst out into the back garden when she realised it was snowing! :smt003

Does anyone else have a dog that watches them work on their bike?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jambon
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400 H1

Post by jambon »

I have a cat with an imposing glare. Liking the direction of this project, any plans for what's next on the list?
dan661

Post by dan661 »

thanks, the second I get paid im getting the new rear shock so then ill put the frame and swingarm together, iv not managed to get the front wheel off the forks yet because one of the the bolts has rounded which is being a bit of a pain in the butt, iv tried hammering in a bigger torx piece but that just rounds as well, then i drillled it and tried to use a stud extractor but it stripped it :smt009 so im taking it to my uncles workshop on friday and see if he can work his magic on it. Im hoping to get the majority of it done over the next 4 weeks so I should have some good pictures to put up.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

dan661 wrote:Does anyone else have a dog that watches them work on their bike?

nope, but the missus keeps telling me off about both of mine :D
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
dan661

Post by dan661 »

Now this pain in the butt is removed I can finally get my front wheel off and get it painted! I also ordered my new rear shock today :excited
dan661

Post by dan661 »

My new brakes and shock arrived yesterday :smt003 hopefully should get around to building up the majority of the bike up on my next days off (friday and saturday).

I fitted the swingarm, subframe and frame together when the shock arrived because I was so giddy and I couldnt wait to see what it would look like! and I forgot to take pictures! sorry. The matt black with the red shock looks awesome I think!!! Ive taken it apart again though to get a lacquer coating done on the frame, swingarm and subframe which I hope to get done tomorrow morning, and ill definitely remember to take some pictures when I assemble it again.
dan661

Post by dan661 »

Pictures of the bike coming together as promised :smt001
jambon
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400 H1

Post by jambon »

It looks great, I don't blame you for getting all excited and fitting it straight away. I'm thinking of upgrading my shock too, what did you go for?
dan661

Post by dan661 »

Thanks. I went for a Hagon shock, Ive always thought its better to get a shock thats designed for the bike rather than chopping up the subframe to make one fit. Plus it seems good value for money. I managed to get my forks sprayed today as well so hopefully I should have the front end on it in the next few days :smt003
dan661

Post by dan661 »

I managed to get the front wheel sprayed today, install new head bearings and get the front end on! been quite a productive day I think.
I threw the tank and seat unit on to see what the green and matt black would look like together and I love it!!
dan661

Post by dan661 »

Hello again everyone, just a quick update on my bike, iv spent sometime in london visiting uni friends so obviously havnt made much progress in the last few days, im here till friday then returining home, then iv booked 4 days extra holiday so i can get really stuck in and hopefully get loads of work done, the main thing on the agender is to sort out and tidy up my wiring loom, the person i bought it from has cut through loads of wires and made next to no attempt to make a good job of it. and i think it would be a shame to have put in all this effort on the bike and leave the loom how it is. So im going to be getting to know my soldering iron very well over the next week or so.
When payday rolls around again ill be able to get new rear brake disc and sprockets and chain, then from what I can remember off the top of my head that should be all of the main components bought so its just the hours I need to put in now :smt001

Thanks for reading.
Dan
dan661

Post by dan661 »

Hello everyone, sorry again for not posting for a while, had some big commitments at work so havnt been able to keep updated on here. I have made some big progress on the bike over the past few weeks.
All the calipers have been fitted with new pads and have been bled through. But when bleeding the rear brake I noticed a small leak coming from the rear master cylinder which im going to have a look at today.
Iv fitted a new stainless steel exhaust that went on with no issues.
New plugs in the engine.
New front sprcoket and sprocket retainer.
New rear sets are on, when I took the old ones off there was a different knuckle joint on the end that wasnt the original and didnt fit on the new one, so I had to get an original off the bay.

When I placed the loom back I didnt realise how packed it is at the front! I had a look to see if I routed it right and I have but im not really happy with it so I might try to make it better and less crowded.