Crazy South African 88 ZX400G

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

CrazyChris
My Bike: Kawasaki ZX400G

Re: Crazy South African 88 ZX400G

Post by CrazyChris »

The mechanic did a compression test and found that all the cylinders had 60psi or less compression. That's why she did not want to start. Apparently the valves were not sealing properly. I did a test when I put it together (parafin on top of the valves) and it didn't leak though.
CrazyChris

Post by CrazyChris »

Sorry for not posting in a while. Been trying to get my bike running properly. Mechanic had my carbs set up with a 18mm float hight and 1.5 turns on the pilot screws. That and the bike that's flooding cause of the wrong petrol pump makes it a tough job. Finally got to fitting the bottom fairings as well. Will upload pics as soon as I can. When the bike is running is gonna be sprayed. Still working on the colour. Maybe gonna keep her purple with bronze rims or black with bronze rims
CrazyChris

Post by CrazyChris »

Vaughn
My Bike: Zxr400

Post by Vaughn »

Looking good, nice little project.
I want to find a bike to strip and rebuild was thinking about a bandit but might have to look for another zxr
Very inspirational, thanks
CrazyChris

Post by CrazyChris »

Thanks Vaughn. I try my best. Standing still at the moment cause I unfortunately don't have a job anymore.

Got the carbs set up correctly and sorted the flooding problem. Just move the fuel filter from between the tank and the pump to between the pump and the carbs. Can kick my own butt about it though cause I went through three tanks of petrol to get it running properly. Fuel pump also decided to stop working yesterday so got a fuel pump from a friend. Fitting it this morning and out for a ride. Bike pulls nice and clean through the rev range up to 8000rpm. Not taking her higher yet cause I'm still running in the motor. Only thing left after the pump is a few small electrical stuff I'm not happy with for example a little red light with the word "speed" under it that comes on when I go over 80km/h. Quite irritating so going to source that wire and snip it.