picking up a "trackday" project bike tomorrow...

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

picking up a "trackday" project bike tomorrow...

Post by banner001 »

...needs work cosmetically, but sound engine other than a loose camchain rattle and a broken tensioner, but cant complain for £250, gonna slowly turn it into a half-decent trackday bike, it was a racers engine testbed before so its electrics are gonna be hell as its been chopped to make a race loom and then fudged to make road legal again, but should be a fun bike once its all fettled :D

pics tomorrow when it gets here...its no looker thats for sure!
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
cookiesol
My Bike: ZXR 400 L7

Re: picking up a "trackday" project bike tomorrow...

Post by cookiesol »

sounds potential!! :tease
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

Last edited by banner001 on Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

Like i said. Its no looker! But doesnt need to much doiing to it other than new forks
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

am currently going through the wiring to make a race loom, have almost finished stripping off all the old black insulation tape, gonna get some marker pens and start hacking into this bad boy :D

just to be sure, most race/trackday bikes have the thermostat and radiator fan removed, correct?
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

wow, ive removed almost 1kg of wiring alone from the loom!

it will either work, or fail horribly. dropped the engine last night and im currently changing the camchain, a few rockers look to have some surface wear so ill change those, then valve clearances and it should be a goer!

im gonna attempt to remove the ignition barrel and wire the bike so its on a constant "live" when the battery is attached, the kill switch and starter button will remain as standard so i can start/kill the bike as required by all tracks (i think).

i have a ricambi-weiss fiberglass front here with a hole cut for headlight, im gonna fiberglass over that and try to remove the holes where the hoover pipes used to go (as no longer using them), ill fiberglass over the holes in the cover for the front of the tank at the same time.

looking forward to it firing up now :D
wes
My Bike: ZXR 400

Post by wes »

Don't forget to pop a resister in the grey line for the ignition else it will never fire.

It's a anti-tamper measure for removing the key ignition switch
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

wes wrote:Don't forget to pop a resister in the grey line for the ignition else it will never fire.

It's a anti-tamper measure for removing the key ignition switch
ah yes, almost forget, so its a 100ohm resistor in series with the grey wire, so where the white wire connects to the brown and grey wires, wire in a resistor in the grey wire so it goes:-

loom~brown+white+100ohm resistor-grey~loom

does the resistor need to be a certain wattage, or will one of these be fine?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100x-0-25W-5- ... 3cc699011a

and will the resistor get hot (if so, i wont tape the "body" of the resistor up)?

and thanks for reminding us!

or if you can recommend me a resistor that will work, fire away :D
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

wired in my stick coils, just need to add the spade connectors to the ends now - soldering stuff should be here tomorrow hopefully...i can do it over the weekend then as well as the remainder of the wiring.

ive worked out how to remove the fusebox now (i needed some guidance to work out how to wire in the starter switch instead of it going through the starter lockout relays inside the fusebox) so that will be happening soon, and ive finished modding my clock bracket for the time being, ive kept the oil pressure light but ive mounted it in between the tachometer and the temperature gauges - ill take a pic tomorrow.

borrowed an angle grinder from work, removed the old camchain and ive fitted (without needing to chain break/rivet) a new chain, the old one was that stretched it looked almost a full "link" longer when i hung them next to each other...which cant be good :D

new rocker arms are coming soon as 4 looked a bit worn, not badly, but worn none the less...why is it always the inlet ones? get them fitted, do the valve clearances, put the electrics on loose and test that the bike still fires up, that reminds me i need an oil filter and some more oil...then ill take a look at the clutch and it should be good to put back together :excited
Last edited by banner001 on Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

oil, filter, 5x new shims and a few block connetors should be here tonight or tomorrow...then i can get the engine back in the frame, put the unwrapped loom on and check that everything is fine, if so i will tape it up and weigh it...should have weighed the loom before really. ive saved all the bits of wiring (it can always come in handy) so ill weigh all that along with all the various relays and switches (and the whole LHS switch gear) and work out the weight saving, im thinking 1 - 1.5kg easy!

going to stick with the stock subframe/seats/undertray for the time being until funds improve and i can fit something lighter with a foam/gel pad, and i need to get the front forks moving to assess the possible damage/replacement of them. the left fork definitely needs to go, i cant see damage to the right but im pretty sure the (so im told "not very old") seal is leaking a bit...

a new rear shock will go in when i sort out the rear subframe...i want to try and relocate the battery under the tank along with the fuel pump relay and find an alternative place to put the reg/rec, maybe mount it near the rear brake so its in the airflow...we'll see...thats all for another day.

ive drilled holes in my lightweight ricambi-weiss front fairing for the bracket mounting points, and for the screen, i will fill in the headlight and hoover pipe holes and trim them down to improve the lines/airflow. ill sort out the rest of the mounting holes once everythings back in the frame.

Last edited by banner001 on Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

it only bloody well fired up at the first time of asking, no problems with the electrics, everything seems in order.

now i need to work out exactly where to route all the wires, tape them up and the electrics are finished!

:excited
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

ill take some pics tonight of the "progress" so far, it sounds good now with the new camchain and the valve clearances done. its on the stock CR9E plugs, but with the new stick coils, no air filter, running stock (very rusty) downpipes and standard can...for now :D
ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

Post by ross46 »

Your right, spare bits of wiring do come in handy, ive still got the bit from yours on the indicator, how are the wire strippers? Did you get a new pair? And you gonna spray it or just leave it a bit tatty Incase of crashes?
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

nothing wrong with them wire cutters, they will last for a little while longer :D

ill spray it myself, my wife is an illustrator, so as long as its not too "girly" im gonna give her free-reign to paint it whatever colour/design she wants.

ill fit crash bungs at some point, so that should give the paintwork some protection, but its gonna get battered a bit, im not bothered, ive got my "stock" bike for looking at :D
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

loom is all finished and taped up, will fit a few bits of heat protection and it will be all good!

went from a standard loom:-

to this, that only weighs 410g!:-

and if i was being uber-anal i could probably have shaved another 50-100g of wiring as some bits loop back on themselves and some are too long...but im not doing any more with it.

This is the "unnecessary wiring" bin...

and i cant buy any more bikes, its getting cramped with 3 now...
Last edited by banner001 on Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.