Vaughns zxr

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

Vaughn
My Bike: Zxr400

Post by Vaughn »

So I just checked the 30a fuse and it's fine, the ic ignitor I have is for an L model and has a socket on it, mine has wires hanging out of it and is not compatible :-(
I have 2 different cdi's that I have tried so I'm guessing it's not that

Am I right in thinking the stator and pickup coil are for the charging system and are on a separate circuit to the ignition system??
Vaughn

Re: Vaughns zxr

Post by Vaughn »

Think I was looking at the regulator/ rectifier
I'm guessing the cdi and ic ignitor are the same thing.
Oh it's so confusing, everything has more than one name
ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

Post by ross46 »

If igniter= cdi, stator is charging, pickup is ignition. Pickup coil is 'im at the right place to spark now' I printed off your wiring diagram and it points towards your pickup, check you have power to both coils (red wire) then check all your pickup wiring (leads from the little right hand engine cover with the wonky gasket) coils are always charged then when the engine goes round the pickup coil senses the engine ants to spark and opens the grounds ( green and red) on the coils which go to the cdi. Check all the wiring from your cdi. Good luck
Vaughn

Post by Vaughn »

ross46 wrote:If igniter= cdi, stator is charging, pickup is ignition. Pickup coil is 'im at the right place to spark now' I printed off your wiring diagram and it points towards your pickup, check you have power to both coils (red wire) then check all your pickup wiring (leads from the little right hand engine cover with the wonky gasket) coils are always charged then when the engine goes round the pickup coil senses the engine ants to spark and opens the grounds ( green and red) on the coils which go to the cdi. Check all the wiring from your cdi. Good luck
Thanks bud your a legend.
That's one thing I didn't check is that there was power to the coils, by the time I had got that far it was too late at night to be cranking the engine over.
I'll get straight on it when I get home from work.
I did suspect the pickup until I tested it with a multimeter and it seems ok, I'll change it anyway.
That was the only thing that came on the engine.
The stator was missing as it was a race engine so I replaced but it can't be that as the engine should run without it lol

I'll get my test light and multimeter fired up later and try get to the bottom of this.
Cheers bud
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

I'm wondering if this is another bike with heat damaged wires inside the pick up/rotor cover
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

Does make you think, where abouts where the damaged wires on your bike cargo?
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

inside the cover the two wires come from the pick up and are exposed to hot oil before the wire heads of out via the rubber grommet.

I could see staining on the insulation and it was hard and brittle and had cracked on both wires.

From cold the bike would be difficult to start and initially run fine but once it was warm it ran very poorly and starting it again when it was warm was impossible.............it had to sit and cool down.

New pick up fixed it..................never had a problem since and have a new spare pick up in the tool box.............just in casey

Not cheap about £83.21 if I remember rightly
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

Not the best idea, leaving wire exposed to hot oil which when broken down could cause acidic conditions, will check mine at some point
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

try having a look at the wiring on a brand new bike it's thinner and the insulation is soft and pliable.

The very newest ZXRs are 14 years old now......................ALL the wiring is getting hard and brittle
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

Might be a common problem which is starting to arise after time
Vaughn

Post by Vaughn »

I'll have a look later and post some pics up, think you may be right though cargo, the wire seems stiff and brittle so could well be the problem
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

try running a new wire if you have some spare? im not %100 but if they can be desoldered or decrimped it may be worth a shot as a test?
Vaughn

Post by Vaughn »

Well like I say I have a spare so I'll chuck that in and see what happens, if this turns out to be the problem I will have a look at repairing the broken one and post back the results
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

it sounds stupid but check that the pulse rotor isnt loose, i had similar problems because some :wanker hadnt tightened it properly and it wasnt making contact or only intermittently
Vaughn

Post by Vaughn »

Just checked with my multimeter and there is power to the coils.
I'm gonna go ahead and replace the sensor

Cool yeah I'll check that too